What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
That’s the first time I’ve heard anything about this Star Trek The Motion Picture book. Looks interesting!

aGreed!

I may purchase it to support classic trek releases.

I think buying any new motion picture items is very important right now.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I own all the “Star Treks” on disc, so I never watch it when broadcast. The other day I was channel surfing and came across the original series on Canadian Sci/Fi. They have “wide screened” it!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Terry, I remember in 2006, at the time The Original Series film elements was remastered and new CGI effects were created, Trekmovie reported that in Japan, they were airing it in widescreen. From the screen caps, it looked like the image was zoomed in. I’d imagine that might be what you saw?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I completed the third season re-viewing of Star Trek TNG last night. On the prior night I watched Transfigurations. That wasn’t an episode I loved or hated. But on re-viewing, I thought it was a fine episode. Still I didn’t think it was anything to write home about. The night before I steered back to catch an episode I avoided, Allegiance. It really did feel like Five Characters in Search of An Exit. It also reminded me of an early episode where Picard is possessed. I thought it turned out better when Picard got the upper hand. It also felt like The Savage Curtain.

The Best Of Both Worlds Part One was the episode I was looking forward to. I don’t watch it often, I did watch it a lot in the early days. It’s nice to come back to after a long absence. It felt so different in almost every way to earlier episodes. The music and mood was so dire. It’s fun to see how Shelby is so ambitious putting Riker in an awkward position. And I realized that they did intentionally change the nature of the Borg. Before they didn’t care about humanity, they just wanted the technology. This episode introduced assimilation. It was exciting and reminded me of that summer when we had to wait to see how they got out of that predicament. I’ll be viewing part two tonight.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Terry, I remember in 2006, at the time The Original Series film elements was remastered and new CGI effects were created, Trekmovie reported that in Japan, they were airing it in widescreen. From the screen caps, it looked like the image was zoomed in. I’d imagine that might be what you saw?
I only looked at it for a few minutes (yuck!), but I believe you are right. Can’t people who are that misguided do this themselves at home?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I only looked at it for a few minutes (yuck!), but I believe you are right. Can’t people who are that misguided do this themselves at home?
In my neck of the woods the "average" TV viewer complains about 4:3 product on their fancy WS sets - just like they complained about WS product on their 4:3 sets. They "don't like them black bars" with most sets I've seen set up so 4:3 is stretched to fill the screen. And they claim to not "see" the difference! My brother-in-law, a sign maker/artist, is one of those people. I even found a circle in a scene, showed it to him on his mis-adjusted set, fixed it to make the circle round instead of an oval, and he *still* said he didn't see the difference! Yeah... he's not designing anything for me...

Anyway - many broadcasters are caving to this mentality to keep/attract viewers. Just like they did with WS movies "reformatted for your screen" on those 4:3 sets. IMHO, misguided is too mild a word...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is anyone else joining the wrath of khan viewing tonight?? Can’t wait!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That’s pretty cool! It doesn’t really work for my scheduling but I love that they’re doing it.

I could probably do a midnight watch party of something sometime if we ever want to set up a late night forum event.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I own all the “Star Treks” on disc, so I never watch it when broadcast. The other day I was channel surfing and came across the original series on Canadian Sci/Fi. They have “wide screened” it!

Like Fox did w/that widescreen Lost In Space all-in-one? Sad!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Whatever that thing was last weekend where Pierce Brosnan took time to talk while Goldeneye was playing was neat. I caught it on youtube so that was nice as I wasn’t watching it live. I was able to pause and go back to parts I missed. It would be cool if this Star Trek II chat/showing can be replayed later.

I see the Star Trek II showing has already started, so I’ve missed the start.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher

That is why I never watch meTV anymore; they are lopping off the top and bottom to zoom to about 1.75. I just can't stand seeing that done to shows like Bewitched and Carol Burnett et al.

I, too, have ST on disc, but for convenience I tried watching it on amazon - it was OAR but they truncate the end credits. Back to the discs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Osato, sounds great you caugth the CYA showing of Star Trek 2, sorry I missed the show. was there a lot of new information or things you learned about the movie, or was it just a fun experience to be with a lot of fans watching the film?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Keven, I’m in the process of converting all my Star Trek and other TV shows and movie blu rays and DVD to MKV format so I can stream it from my computer to an Apple TV to watch on my home theater set up or a TV in the family room/kitchen area. I started doing this late last year. I converted the entire TOS blu ray set and I’ve done the first 4 seasons of TNG and working my way to finish it. It’s been a terrific way to quickly and easily watch material without pulling out discs. Josh and Dave and others were really helpful in passing on their knowledge and help as I delved into this. The MKV process produces an exact copy of the disc, so there is no loss of image quality. I really like it for watching TV shows.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hey Osato, sounds great you caugth the CYA showing of Star Trek 2, sorry I missed the show. was there a lot of new information or things you learned about the movie, or was it just a fun experience to be with a lot of fans watching the film?

just great stuff and facts all through the film before and after. It was such a cool live event. I even submitted a few questions at the end of the film that they answered. It was so well done and just fun to watch with people who love Star Trek as much as we do.

lots of great facts and stories about the film. Daren worked on the motion picture directors cut and had a ton of cool things to share about some of the technical aspects.

I hope another one is coming up soon. They said the best way to encourage another one by paramount was to post on social media. I did that right away. Hoping they do one of the other films.

mark Altman has hosted a ton of theater events for the other films. He would love to do one on Star Trek 5 because no one ever is open to doing a screening.

daren recorded commentaries witn the okudas on motion picture and final frontier. These are on the blu ray discs.

I guess I was the only one to join from these forums?

too bad. It was a very special and cool event. So glad that I participated to support a paramount Star Trek event!!

of course I asked about 4k Star Trek releases of the other films too!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That sounds like you had great fun Osato.

Maybe if they do it again, more of us can join.

I gather you didn’t get an answer for the 4K Star Trek releases of the TOS films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks