What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I am partial to episodes that take place on the Holodecks across the franchise. The Big goodbye, Elementary dear Data, Ship in a bottle etc. I am a big fan of the 7th season of DS 9 with Vic Fontaine in 1960s Las Vegas

However, I’m also confused. When DS 9 Premiered, Picard came to the station to discuss the Bajor situation. He tells Sisko that Preparing Bajor for Federation membership is his responsibility.

But in TNG Birthright, Sisko doesn’t appear

To expand on what Robert said (because, hey, I have lots of time on my hands)..."Birthright" is a story about both Data and Worf learning about their fathers. The story started on Deep Space Nine in the first part and included a guest shot from Doctor Bashir. His role helped Data to access "dreams" and to connect with Dr. Soong. There's no real need for Sisko to show up, or any of the other regulars

It's almost like why did Quark show up in Voyager's "Caretaker" instead of Sisko? Because there was no logical way to put him in the episode. (Plus, Quark is arguably more popular AND the prior spinoff pilot-DS9's "Emissary"-had already included the lead from the prior show and doing the same thing again would have been pretty redundant.)

Overall, Sisko's mission from Day One, as stated, as to get Bajor ready to join the Federation. And that is what Sisko did: protected Bajor and did what he could to get them ready.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I was recently going through Star Trek TNG, Voyager, and DS9 with my wife in episode order. It took us a couple of years of course.

Each time the Holodeck made an appearance we started to groan. There is almost always something wrong with the thing that either causes a threat to the ship or the federation. As I said before, shouldn’t there be a recall of the damn thing? How about taking it of line until an overhaul?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've probably said this before... I absolutely detest holodeck episodes. They almost always come off as a way to use a failed script pitch for another show in a Trek episode. Kind of like DC Comics "Elseworld" stories (what if type stuff for you who aren't comic readers). They typically have nothing to do with the regular series - true bottle episodes.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I watched voyager with my wife all the way through and we enjoyed it. I guess it’s one of the more popular series on the streaming services.

working on deep space nine but we have slowed down a bit. Just busy with life and family.
Hoping to get back to it. I believe we are at the end of season 4.

I just listened to a great podcast on inglorious treksperts and the remastered Star Trek tos history. Highly, highly, highly recommend!

yes I said highly 3 times!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Holodeck episodes on Voyager were more cartoony than anything. Captain Proton. Lol. There’s actually a captain proton book too.

Captain Proton Defender of the Earth

I downloaded it in I books

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There’s a few third season episodes that I never watch that I gave them a chance and re-watched, The Price and The Vengeance Factor.

I liked The Price more then I thought. I have seen it a few times and during its initial broadcast, and I recall it was promoted for the love affair Troi has. He reality was less and I liked the question they pose that having telepathic powers is an unfair advantage. And it depends on the situation. So I liked that question. I’d forgotten about the business between a Riker and Devinoni and that was fun. But the thing that made it more memorable back in the day for me was what happened to the Ferenghi in the shuttle. I won’t give it away if some have not seen it. It was nicely recalled in a Voyager episode.

The Vengeance Factor was OK. It was a chance for Riker to be more Kirk like with Yuta. It was an okay take on the Hatfield and McCoy feud. I’d forgotten how the ending affects Riker.

On the new remastered version, these two episodes really looked good. Probably because they are less seen episodes for me. On The Vengeance Factor, the wrecked outpost we see in the trailer was striking as well as the underground hide out of The Gatherers.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoy both of those episodes, Nelson. The Price is a good one and lets Troi really shine, plus the scene between Riker and Devinoni in Ten Forward is terrific. "...to the last mile!" I also think it went a long way to redefining the Ferengi from what we saw in season 1.

I also enjoy the Vengeance Factor a lot. It has a bit of a sad twist now: An background actor in that one, Michael Lamper, went on to become Marina Sirtis' husband. He passed away very suddenly last December. They were married for 27 years. He was only 61.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Michael_Lamper

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Sam. I didn’t know Lamper was a background actor in that episode. I only heard he was a musician.

I agree the scene between Riker and Devinoni in 10 Forward was terrific.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
What does God need with a starship??

http://inglorioustreksperts.com/

“isn’t that special” is the name of the podcast on the TOS remeastered. I had no idea how crazy it was behind the scenes and how little the budget was for these. Great information.

Make it so! It is the human thing to do!!

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is it silly to own the franchise in standard Def. DVD then purchase the fan collective sets on DVD only to purchase all Blu Ray parts of the original franchise series’ ? I have done so over time and find myself watching the time travel fan collective with particular attention to Time’s Arrow from TNG

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is it silly to own the franchise in standard Def. DVD then purchase the fan collective sets on DVD only to purchase all Blu Ray parts of the original franchise series’ ? I have done so over time and find myself watching the time travel fan collective with particular attention to Time’s Arrow from TNG

My currently owned Trek collection includes the original TOS sets with original effects, the 2010 remastered effect DVDs, TOS on Blu, TAS on DVD, all 10 movies on DVD and Blu, TNG on DVD and Blu, DS9 and Voyager on DVD (only because CBS are cheap fu*kers and won't remaster those two), Enterprise on DVD and Blu, and the Q and Time Travel fan collectives.

So no, owning multiple iterations of each show isn't crazy. I think we all do, to some degree.

Plus, it's not unheard of among collectors and fanboys. At a comic message board I frequent, we were discussing the book Marvels. One person has six or seven releases of it. I've owned three, myself, including the new 25th Anniversary release that's in the mail.

It's just what we do.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The fan collective sets included bonus material that wasn’t on the DVD season set. And not all of that made it to the Blu-rays. I don’t have them but I think it’s an easily justifiable choice.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I hope no one has been rooked into buying the DVDs or Blu rays which are the same inside, but feature a different cast member on the outside!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My currently owned Trek collection includes the original TOS sets with original effects, the 2010 remastered effect DVDs, TOS on Blu, TAS on DVD, all 10 movies on DVD and Blu, TNG on DVD and Blu, DS9 and Voyager on DVD (only because CBS are cheap fu*kers and won't remaster those two), Enterprise on DVD and Blu, and the Q and Time Travel fan collectives.

So no, owning multiple iterations of each show isn't crazy. I think we all do, to some degree.

Plus, it's not unheard of among collectors and fanboys. At a comic message board I frequent, we were discussing the book Marvels. One person has six or seven releases of it. I've owned three, myself, including the new 25th Anniversary release that's in the mail.

It's just what we do.
Mine is similar to yours:

TOS on VHS, DVD (the original tricorder clamshell cases), remastered effects on DVD, and on BR
TAS on DVD and BR
TNG on DVD and BR
DS9 on DVD
Voyager on DVD
Enterprise on DVD and BR
The movies on DVD and BR with a few "double dips" for specific versions on each format.
The TOS Roddenberry Vault collection on BR

I don't own any of the collections simply because they offer little I don't already have (and I have an intense dislike for "Q"). What little information in the videos is likely in one of the many books I own about the series.

Should CBS remaster DS9 and Voyager for HD and release them on BR I'll purchase those too.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I hope no one has been rooked into buying the DVDs or Blu rays which are the same inside, but feature a different cast member on the outside!
No... but I *would* like, and have been tempted on several occasions, to purchase DS9 and Voyager in the megapak releases. Partly to reduce shelf space and partly for the better packaging (my Voyager seasons are those early plastic slipcase things).

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mine is similar to yours:

TOS on VHS, DVD (the original tricorder clamshell cases), remastered effects on DVD, and on BR
TAS on DVD and BR
TNG on DVD and BR
DS9 on DVD
Voyager on DVD
Enterprise on DVD and BR
The movies on DVD and BR with a few "double dips" for specific versions on each format.
The TOS Roddenberry Vault collection on BR

I don't own any of the collections simply because they offer little I don't already have (and I have an intense dislike for "Q"). What little information in the videos is likely in one of the many books I own about the series.

Should CBS remaster DS9 and Voyager for HD and release them on BR I'll purchase those too.

I had some TOS on VHS (maybe a half dozen episodes), all the films, and Encounter at Farpoint and Cause and Effect on VHS. But the VHS era was mostly when I was young and before I had money to blow. Plus, I could just record them off of TV. And I didn't even consider those two episode per disc early TOS DVDs. The first Trek set I bought in the DVD era was TNG S3 somewhere in mid-2002. By the time DS9 started in 2003, I was sitting at whatever retailer had the sets cheapest on release day to get my copy.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
No... but I *would* like, and have been tempted on several occasions, to purchase DS9 and Voyage in the megapak releases. Partly to reduce shelf space and partly for the better packaging (my Voyager seasons are those early plastic slipcase things).

Mine are, too.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mine are, too.

I have those slip cases too. I never understood Why Voyager and Ds 9 were packaged that way. The Original TOS DVD release was in those Cool tricorder cases. TNG Was in a large book/Encyclopedia cases. TAS and Enterprise Were in a Sturdy case also. Yet, DS 9 and Voyager were in these cheap plastic slip cases and the O-R were about 100.00 a piece

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks