1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    He must be touring with this stuff. Saw that one, too. And Blade Runner.

Osato and Josh Steinberg like this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The museum is doing a sixth month exhibit on 2001 and bringing in a lot of guests. I’m guessing as long as Trumbull was gonna be there anyway that they added a TMP event too. It’s not so easy for me to get out these days but I moved mountains to make my attendance possible :)

Osato likes this.
  3. Message #14423 of 14489 Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Mudd’s Women was, as we probably all know, one of the three stories submitted as a proposed second pilot after the original was rejected. It was based on Gene Roddenberry’s concept and fleshed out by Stephen Kandel. It wasn’t a “good” episode and the only things that make it interesting to me are the score, Harry Mudd (who isn’t the lovable rogue we’d meet in the second season), and the “early series weirdness” running rampant throughout: proto-Spock as the smiling “Vulcanian,” “Lithium crystals,” the early-ish uniforms, the sloppy editing of shots and the weird sine wave to show us the computer on the monitor.

The crew looks like a bunch of guys who never got laid ever (even though a 3rd of the crew are female) and Kirk doesn’t lock his quarters. One of the very few misfires of the early episodes, Mudd’s Women desperately feels like an episode that was filmed because that’s all they had ready to go.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  4. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Josh Steinberg and Osato like this.
  5. Osato

Osato Producer

mom so glad I made it to the fathom event. I enjoyed it even more than the khan event!!

ScottRE likes this.
  6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    If you end up changing your mind - or if anyone decides to make it - PM me and I’d be happy to meet up before or after the screening!

Osato and ScottRE like this.
  7. Osato

Osato Producer

It’s times like these when I wish there was a transporter.

James Bond radio and even another group are doing meet ups for No Tome To Die. I wish I could make those happen too. Time limitations right now.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  8. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I'm in the second season of TNG now and it’s been a while since I last saw these and I’d forgotten how Dr. Pulaski is written as a female version of McCoy. I do like a lot her character. She speaks out. Such as her challenging Data as a sentient being. The poker game in The Measure of A Man was a good scene to show how Data wasn’t able to see a bluff and Pulaski points that out. And Elementary Dear Data I liked again as Pulaski challenges Data as he is just AI and can’t really examine evidence and make deductions as a human can. She had a hard time at first with Data but seems to have warmed up to him later in the season which I still am far away from.

The Klingons get more definition and I recall back in the day when A Matter of Honor first aired, gagh was a hit among fans! Some of the earlier second season episodes I liked enough, and some I’ve skipped and may go back to see. Loud as a Whisper and The Outrageous Okana for example. The former has a good idea, maybe a weak execution as I recall from seeing it a long time ago. The later I just didn’t like at all! :)

I always called Natural Selection the The Deadly Years remake. Though that’s unfair as it’s reason for the rapid aging was due to another factor. So I liked it better then The Naked Now.

Jason_V and Blimpoy06 like this.
  9. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Pulaski does start out very very crusty and downright mean; McCoy was crusty and snarky, but Spock knew how to jab back at him. Data, in essence, is a child and it always felt like she was picking on him like a bully. There is a turn coming, as Nelson alluded to, but I don't know how much of it was due to natural character evolution and how much was the fans telling TPTB to tone it down and Pulaski is a bully. There was a way to do that character arc...but the way it was executed wasn't it.

And that hampers a lot of season 2 for me. Almost every episode she is picking on him or at him.

But then there are wonderful, great, fantastic episodes I enjoy rewatching for different reasons. Nelson mentioned A Matter of Honor...good, good episode. Contagion is a favorite, Q Who, Peak Performance, The Emissary. And then there's good ideas in some just okay episodes like Pen Pals. And then...there's Up the Long Ladder and Shades of Gray...

10. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Pulaski joining the crew in S2 was the nail-in-the-coffin for me. I absolutely did not like the character and stopped watching 3 or 4 episodes into S2. When I broke down and purchased the series (first on DVD and then the BRs before I even finished watching all the DVDs) to complete my Trek collection I found S2 wasn't *that* bad but still don't care for it much. But with the arrival of "Discovery" it's no longer my least favorite Trek series.

11. Nelson Au

Those second season episodes you mentioned Jason are ones I like too. Contagion is a great episode, just watched it again. I liked that Carolyn Seymour appears in Star Trek TNG several times and on Voyager too. I like The Emissary a lot too and it has a great sequel. Pen Pals is the one where I felt Pulaski softens on Data. She agrees he did a good thing. But I’m going to watch for other instances where Pulaski’s interactions with Data seems to change. It’s interesting to see Q Who now. The last time I was watching it, I was thinking how far they evolved the Borg make-up and costume from the rudimentary version on the series to the film version in First Contact and they carried that on with Voyager.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  12. Nelson Au

Thought I’d shout out to Josh, I watched The Royale tonight. I never liked this episode. But on my last viewing a few years ago, I kind of liked it. I enjoyed it a lot more this time around. I was in the right frame of mind and it was always fun to see Data trying to emulate the behavior of the gamblers. One thing I noticed though, Riker being the poker player, I was surprised he seemed unaware of how Craps is played. Could have been a way to explain to the audience how the game is played.

Baby needs a new pair of shoes!

KPmusmag and Josh Steinberg like this.
  13. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    ^^ I like that episode. It always reminds me of 2001. BTW, I play poker but I am unaware of all the rules and nuances of craps.

14. Nelson Au

Gaston, I can see how that episode reminds you of 2001. And good point about knowing poker, but not necessarily knowing the rules to Craps.

I read the Memory Alpha entry on The Royale and it’s interesting how the original story was more surreal and comedic. Would have been interesting to see how it could have turned out.

I saw Time Squared tonight and another episode that was re-written. It might have been more interesting had it been as intended. As it is now, it’s just had no pay-off or meaning.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  15. Message #14435 of 14489 Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Nelson Au

I’ve been having a nice little daily respite from all the Coronavirus news and escaping into the third season of TNG. It’s still interesting to re-watch the cast as they grow into the characters and contrast Stewart and Frakes and Sirtis and Spiner as they play the roles in Star Trek Picard today. Same with seeing Jeri Ryan today verse back in her Voyager days. The cast also looked more mature and tanned and relaxed in their roles. The stories have more depth and ideas.

I’m really enjoying the first 5 episodes of the third season. Evolution is a good story and a way to show Dr. Crusher’s return. As well as more of Wesley’s ingenuity. Ensigns of Command I always liked, you appear to need it. I liked the way they created a story to show Data grow under difficult situations. Who Watches the Watchers is a favorite as well. It wasn’t until my re-viewing last evening that I made a connection to A Private Little War in TOS. I thought it was a much different way to deal with the Prime Directive and having to interfere after the planet inhabitants was already contaminated by exposure to a superior species. I liked the resolution and how Picard is now written. I liked how he was forced to find a way to explain how he wasn’t a god and try to make the Mintakans understand Picard is just a more advanced being, not a deity. Booby Trap was a great episode for Geordi and the introduction to Leah Brahms. The efforts to beat the trap and how he found a solution was fun to see unfold. Finally, a real favorite is The Survivors. I had not seen this episode in a while and I noticed how interesting it was to see Picard try to solve the mystery of why Kevin and Rishon are the only survivors on a destroyed world. I also really liked the idea of Kevin’s story. How he’s immortal. And the crime he feels so much guilt over. I skipped to Booby Trap next. That’s a great Geordi story and I liked the addition of Leah Brahms to the characters. I’m really looking forward to The Enemy next. Tomalak is a great Romulan. And it’s a great story.

I didn’t go over the last few episodes of the second season. Peak Performance was fun to re-see. I hadn’t seen it in a long time. I skipped Shades of Gray. Man Hunt was fun, but not great. Icarus Factor was better then I remembered it. The Emissary is a favorite and a great introduction to K'Ehleyr. Pen Pals is another favorite as I liked the story and what a Data does. Of course Q Who is a highlight of the season for me. It was so new and different.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  16. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I love the third season of TNG; my favorite year of that show and one of the best seasons of any Star Trek. All of those episodes you mentioned are great. I'd argue the 3rd season does not have a weak episode. The Enemy and The Defector are two of my favorites. And holy cow, just saw something the other day that said that this week was the 30th anniversary of The Offspring.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  17. Nelson Au

Wow Sam, this season premiered in 1989. Seems like yesterday. I can still remember it. ( And 20 years after the end of TOS! )

I watched The Enemy last night after posting. :). One thing that’s really making this time’s viewings more interesting is via the new blu rays after many years of viewing the previous DVD sets. This is the second or third pass I’m making on the blu rays and I am in the process of converting the blu rays to MKV files. I’d been watching on a TV in the kitchen area, but I watched The Enemy on my home theater set-up. So the sound was great, especially on the inhospitable planet within Galorndon Core. I’m looking forward to The Defector as well, that’s a favorite of mine as well.

Osato and Sam Favate like this.
  18. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    We've been watching those S2 and S3 episodes recently too. Typically, we'll look at 9 PM Eastern to see which episode is being run by the Heroes & Icons channel and then switch to either an Amazon stream or a Blu-ray. Lately it's been pretty much the Amazon stream. The Blu-ray's picture is better, but by the time I get out the disc and get through the warnings and menus and then start the episode, a lot of time passes. The Amazon stream image is pretty good, way better than H&I, and we can get to it pretty quickly. Both the stream and the disc offer watching without commercial interruption - always a plus.

H&I is now ending S3, with "Best Of Both Worlds" Part 1 on tonight. For that two-parter, I might dig out the combined two-parter on Blu-ray.

bmasters9 likes this.
  19. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    I am partial to episodes that take place on the Holodecks across the franchise. The Big goodbye, Elementary dear Data, Ship in a bottle etc. I am a big fan of the 7th season of DS 9 with Vic Fontaine in 1960s Las Vegas

However, I’m also confused. When DS 9 Premiered, Picard came to the station to discuss the Bajor situation. He tells Sisko that Preparing Bajor for Federation membership is his responsibility.

But in TNG Birthright, Sisko doesn’t appear

20. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    The story wasn't really about that, and Sisko was busy singing Allamarain at the time.

Sam Favate likes this.