1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Mar 9, 2008.

1. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    BBC America is airing DS9 now.

Just watched the episode from S2 where Julian and the Chief are presumed dead, and Keiko figures out they're not because of the Chief's coffee habits. I waited 59 minutes for the final gag where he reveals he often drinks coffee after 3 PM, and the bastards cut it for time.

If they have to cut to get extra commercials no one pays attention to, I'd rather have episode content than a 2 minute intro. Cut that instead.

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Josh, I’ve never done that comparison. I’ll be curious too if there is a difference. And I’ve been dreading the idea of trying to convert 7 seasons of TNG and 7 seasons of DS9 and Voyager too! I do want to do that myself. Enjoy the episodes!

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    You just have to do it in the background as you’re enjoying something else so it becomes more of an automated process.

4. Nelson Au

Josh, yes, that’s a good way to go about the process! I’ve even made the MKV files while paying bills. And I saw your post in the Star Trek The Next Generation blu ray reviews where you commented that Neil’s reviews made doing your MKV files faster. I gathered you meant the extra features and knowing the titles and length of each feature. I’ll use that trick too!

KPmusmag and Josh Steinberg like this.
  5. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Help - I am looking for an episode of TNG where Data wants to help some fellow androids who are stranded or their ship is failing, perhaps. Did I dream there was such an episode? I have been trying to find it. Thanks for any help.

6. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    I believe you're looking for a Voyager episode where The Doctor wants to help a ship full of Holograms.

The two parter Flesh and Blood, to be exact

KPmusmag likes this.
  7. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    There is a second season episode where Geordi is helping a race called the Pakleds with their broken ship. "Samaritan Snare"

KPmusmag likes this.
  8. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    Thank you!!

9. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    So what’s your favorite Trek episode? I have a few across the Franchise:
    TOS, The Menagerie
    TNG, Family
    DS9- A man alone
    Voyager-Pathfinder

10. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The Doomsday Machine from the original series is my all time favorite episode of the entire franchise. But, from the rest...

TNG: Best of Both Worlds part 1
    DS9: The Visitor
    VOY: Timeless
    ENT: Terra Prime

Films
    Classic cast: Star Trek 3
    TNG: Generations
    Bad Robot: Star Trek Beyond

11. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I really don’t know if I have an answer to that. DS9, VOY and ENT I don’t know well enough to pick a single episode above others. It’s not that I didn’t have absolute standouts in the crowd but I’m not sure I could just pick one.

TAS I can do. Yesteryear.

TOS and TNG are much harder to me because I have a few I love above others and they’re kinda all different from each other and some are weird choices that make worst lists.

I think it speaks to the richness of the franchise that I really struggle with this. But if I had to pick absolutely one and only one to ever watch ever again, like a desert island that somehow only has enough electricity to power a TV for one show once, I’ll take The Cage.

(I think that’s why last season of Discovery felt like it meant more to me than any Trek I had seen in a long time.)

Osato and bmasters9 like this.
  12. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    And I'll quite gladly take "The Doomsday Machine"!

Osato, ScottRE and Josh Steinberg like this.
  13. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    An outstanding choice!

I had a neighbor I got a little friendly with right before he moved out (of course) and we got to talking about Trek one day and he mentioned being a big fan and being blown away by the Blu-rays. I mentioned I had a projector. Wasn’t too long before we were sitting there watching Doomsday Machine.

It was one of the first dozen or so I saw back when I was little and it was hard to get my hand on episodes. Each one I saw was savored and watched and rewatched so it’s in there pretty good.

I can say that there are several categories of episodes when I rewatch TOS and TNG. Really good episodes that I’ve seen a bunch that don’t get old and weirder/less popular episodes I like to revisit that are all first tier, and then ones that are perfectly fine when I’m trying not to over watch the favorites, and then those sort of ones I don’t quite avoid but don’t jump at unless I want something a little more unfamiliar (inasmuch as something you’ve seen only a hundred zillion times instead of a thousand zillion times can be unfamiliar), and then the ones I don’t like that I don’t watch unless I’m going through the full season or series.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    When I say weird ones, for TOS, I like The Alternative Factor, Wolf In The Fold, The Immunity Syndrome, Wink Of An Eye, That Which Survives. Or for TNG, We’ll Always Have Paris, The Royale, Time Squared, Phantasms. I mean seriously, who else rewatches The Alternative Factor or The Royale for fun? :D

KPmusmag, Osato and bmasters9 like this.
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Which version did you see-- the one as it originally was on NBC then, or the remastered version?

16. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think we flipped a coin and went with the original. But both versions of that one are pretty cool.

bmasters9 likes this.
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Glad you enjoyed it, and that your neighbor had it to where you could see that original.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I love The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before (especially the original pilot version). I wish there were more like those. They have this intangible quality I can’t quite describe. The designs are slightly different, the vibe is a little different. They have more of that 1950s vibe to them, before the 60s became THE 60s. And they’re making it up as they go rather than filling something into a template. It’s not quite finished yet but something unique in its unfinished state. I kinda feel the same about Dr. No compared to all the other Bond movies.

KPmusmag, Osato and bmasters9 like this.
  19. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    Of all of them, Family, to
    Me is the missed opportunity. In Generations, we find that Picard’s brother Robert and Nephew Rene were killed before they could visit the Enterprise. Why? In TNG, Robert is introduced as a bitter older brother. By the end of the episode, He and Picard understand one another and Picard finds himself again. In addition, Picard meets Rene and realizes that he may have missed out after all because he had not had his own children. Why not have Rene in Starfleet? As a kid, he told Picard, he had written a report on Star ships for school. As Picard leaves to return to the Enterprise, Rene tells him he will one day be a Star ship captain.

20. Nelson Au

Great points about The Cage and Where no Man Has Gone Before as not being quite there verses the final production version of Star Trek, but quite unique that there is something special there.

I am on my last episode to view for my current entire Star Trek TOS re-viewing. I watched all the episodes, including ones I usually avoid. And I managed to pull something out of the episodes I don’t usually like to rewatch. For example, And the Children Shall Lead and Whom Gods Destroy, but especially The Way To Eden, I was thinking how Severin was so much like The Heavens Gate cult, where a man becomes a charismatic leader of innocents and takes them down to the path of destruction. The third season took a stronger effort to look at modern social issues. The Wink of An Eye and of course The Mark of Gideon on the population explosion. Overall though, I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite episode of the entire TOS as there are several I really like that fit in different categories.

Now that I have Turnabout Intruder left to view, I think I might continue with TNG now that Picard has gone live. But first I’d like to revisit The Cage and the pilot version of Where No Man Has Gone Before. Plus Balance of Terror as it’s a favorite partly as I like Shatner’s take on Kirk in this episode. And the story is a great one and there’s linkage to Picard now.

bmasters9 likes this.