Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

AndyMcKinney

Cinematographer
Reaction score
I have the entire series on laserdisc. None of the episodes that I have contain that. There’s only one episode with the title card on it during a commercial break, and that is “Mirror Mirror” just after the main titles.

I just checked “The Cloud Minders” and it’s not there.
There is also one episode from the RCA/SelectaVision CED releases (and maybe the early Paramount TV Classics VHS/Beta releases) that has a title slide just after the main titles. That one is "The Trouble With Tribbles", and the title slide used is this one:

index.jpg

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Darin
Does anyone have the 50th set? I was hoping the new doc for that set would be shown. Instead it was the one from 2009
I have that set. The special features disc has two documentaries on making Star Trek The Motion Picture. One covers the period when Paramount wasn't sure how Star Trek would be revived, the other covers the filming process itself. Each are half an hour. Both are excellent.
vlcsnap-2019-09-16-18h38m04s978.png

vlcsnap-2019-09-16-19h12m30s228.png

Reactions: Osato and KPmusmag

Osato

Producer
Reaction score
I have that set. The special features disc has two documentaries on making Star Trek The Motion Picture. One covers the period when Paramount wasn't sure how Star Trek would be revived, the other covers the filming process itself. Each are half an hour. Both are excellent.
View attachment 63146

View attachment 63147

Yes!

How is it??

I’ve often looked for Talos IV transmissions of this and other online venues but I can’t find it. I would gladly buy the entire documentary.

I have the khan portion as I did buy the dc of khan on blu ray.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Star Trek was the first tv series to be resurrected from the dead via a major motion picture. So there’s that. :dance:
Yes - Dragnet, Batman, Munsters, McHale's Navy, were filmed for the big screen on existing sets with some enhancements. Star Trek TMP was completely re-designed and newly created for the big screen.

I may have to try to leave work early on Weds to see it again.

Nelson Au

Executive Producer
Reaction score
A friend whose on holiday in Paris sent me a photo of a MacDonald’s ad that was on the side of what looked like a bus stop. The image below is the same as his photo, I just nicked it off the web. If Nimoy was alive now, not sure if he’d sue over this like he did over the beer ad. Though in this day and age, I’m sure MacDonald’s got permissions from the rights holders.

FE07894A-1601-48DE-B1EC-6226986D031D.jpeg

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TMP is clearly the hardest “hard sci-fi” of the movies. What do you guys think are the harder sci-fi stories told by TOS and the other shows?

Reactions: Osato

Nelson Au

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Josh, interesting question as to which are the hard sci-fi stories told by TOS. That will take some thinking as so many episodes of TOS could qualify, but might not because it’s really action/adventure.

Off the top of my head, I would nominate:
The Enemy Within
Arena
Devil in the Dark
City on the Edge of Forever
Tomorrow is Yesterday
The Doomsday Machine
Mirror, Mirror
The Deadly Years
The Immunity Syndrome
The Empath
All Our Yesterdays

Speaking of TMP, I just could not make time to watch the Fathom screenings, to answer Osato’s question. My life has been taken over by other more urgent matters.

Reactions: Osato

ScottRE

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Website
viewfromthebelfry.blogspot.com
Real Name
Scott
Hard SF? You mean other than strictly action/adventure, fantasy or drama? A lot of the early episodes would probably quality, but out of those not mentioned yet: The Cage, The Man Trap, The Naked Time, What Are Little Girls Made Of?, The Corbomite Maneuver, Dagger of the Mind....

benbess

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Ben
Sad news.....

My family recently watched the DS9 documentary, in which he was featured.

Speaking of which, we loved the HD remasters of DS9 in that doc, and we all wish that all of DS9 could be remastered.

Nelson Au

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I’ve been continuing watching an episode a night in broadcast order. And as I mentioned earlier, watching the blu ray versions with original effects and mono sound. Some of my most favorite episodes were in this group.

Corbomite Maneuver
The Menagerie, part 1 and 2
Conscience of the King
Balance of Terror
Shore Leave
the Galileo Seven.

As has been stated, some of the mono tracks are not original, I will have to pull my laserdisc and 1999 DVD editions to compare the audio. But I get the reason for some who’ve not been happy with the additions of the ship rumble on fly-bys as it makes hearing the captain’s log harder to hear in some cases.

I think the original effects are so much an organic part of the series, so I’m really enjoying it. Ever since 2006, I’ve almost mainly watching the series with the remastered effects, so it great to go back and really watch it. Not casually, but watch.

I’ve been watching Star Trek nearly all my life from the syndication day’s. I know the show. But of late, I don’t watch it as frequently. I just don’t want to over watch it. I’m struck this time by re-seeing things I remember as a kid, the growth of Spock from The Cage days. The way the series pulls it together with the sets, costumes and stories. In terms of the cast, it’s striking to watch Yeoman Rand who was so integral at first, to being let go. It made me wonder as I watched Shore Leave and The Galileo Seven if she was intended to be in those. She had to be.

Balance of Terror was the first remastered episode broadcast, I remember watching it. I initially was really excited to see it. It was cool with the new effects, but I never admitted that in the back of my mind, it wasn’t quite right. It was off, the Romulan weapon didn’t have the same fluidity, the cloaking effects was more interesting with the digital version, but not the same as the dissolve of the original. So I was so surprised to see the Romulan Bird of Prey has a green-ish tint. I’d not noticed it before and having watched the remastered effects for a decade, I’d forgotten or never noticed before it was green. That explains why the Romulan ships in TNG are green. And the Bird of Prey in the TOS film is green.

Balance of Terror is another touchstone for me too. It set up so much that is mined in later series. I felt Shatner plays Kirk with nuance and is probably one of his best performances as Kirk. And because i haven’t seen this episode in a while, maybe a year, I can see that Brian Fuller really did use it as a basis for Star Trek Discovery. Stiles desire to attack the Romulans felt like Fuller used it for The Vulcan Hello. You have to show strength by attacking first.

The Galileo Seven is much better with original effects. The story is so strong alone, the effects as they are were are just fine.

It’s been great to revisit the series after a short absence as it makes re-watching so much more fun. It’s really great CBS Paramount did the remaster in 2006. The series looks so great. The color of the remastered film is so great to re-see again. If only the audio is back as has been mentioned. I look forward to continuing the first season and look forward to the second season. I’ll probably skip The Alternative Factor.

Harry-N

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Harry N.
^ Sad to hear that you'd skip "The Alternative Factor". I have a fondness for that episode, despite its flaws.

Reactions: Osato and Blimpoy06

Nelson Au

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Harry, I did start this effort with the goal of watching each episode in broadcast order. I even watched What Are Little Girls Made Of, not a favorite. So you’re right, to be true to my effort, I’ll watch Lazarus jump back and forth. :)

Reactions: Osato and Harry-N

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha