1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Mar 9, 2008.

1. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
  2. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I just came out of the theater. That was a wonderful experience. I think they were only about five or six other people in the theater with me. On a gigantic screen, it’s easy to see how empty this film actually is of content. However, visuals are still amazing.

This didn’t feel like a Blu-ray being projected. The scenes needing them had the original film’s subtitles. They didn’t have the Blu-ray versions. There was also a great deal of film grain. I didn’t feel like I was watching a film with heavy digital noise reduction. So my question is, what is the source of this print?

It was a very satisfying visual experience. I really felt like I was watching a projected film

Osato and Blimpoy06 like this.
  3. Dave Jessup

Dave Jessup Stunt Coordinator

It was indeed like stepping back 40 years - with a much better sound system than most of the theaters I saw this film in.

The source seemed to be a new digital scan, and a DCP for each local theater. No technical foul-ups; I saw the variety of visual quality I expected - razor sharp shots where no effects were involved, varying graininess with multi-generation layered opticals, no surprises where split diopter lenses were in play.

Yeah, the script ain't gonna get any better with age. The character moments work, and the visuals meant to theatrically impress did so: my wife was knocked out by the opening shot of the Klingon ships, and she's as familiar with this movie as I am.

4. Message #14224 of 14296 Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The sound mix was on the loud side but it was great. I heard stuff that’s not as apparent at home. Like the air conditioning on the bridge and the total lack of ambient boops and beeps.

But man there’s some real dead space between reaction shots.

I still love this film to death.

I tried to watch it through the eyes of the 10-year-old son originally. At certain points, I still got chills.

Osato, Bob_S. and Blimpoy06 like this.
  5. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    STTMP2.

I've finally managed to get myself home after seeing the 1 PM showing up in Disney Springs. Since the wife is out, I had the afternoon to myself and decided to go see this on the big screen one more time. Unfortunately, the traffic on the way home was riddled with accidents and slow going.

I noticed some things in the movie that really impressed me, like the sound mix. It was cranked up pretty loud, but not painfully so, and unlike modern films and TV shows, every word of dialog was crystal clear. They don't make movies the way they used to.

There were times when looking at the picture that I thought it looked wonderful, other times when it seemed soft. I've gotten used to the razor-sharp images on the Blu-ray. But then there were other times when the sheer size of the picture made things more noticeable. The V'ger cloud seemed ever so much more expansive than it does on a TV. And I noticed more colors in the thing than I usually do. It always looks predominantly blue as I watch it on TV, but on the big screen, the blues were encircled by waves of purple and green.

The movie's start time was billed as 1 PM. I got to the theater at about 12:40 or so, and there was a set of STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE trivia slides that rotated, right up until 1 PM. Then a Fathom Events host appeared on screen and told us to enjoy the feature. I was happy that we didn't get an endless stream of trailers.

But we did get a Blu-ray extra. On the current Blu-ray, there's a featurette called THE LONGEST TREK: WRITING FOR THE MOTION PICTURE, where Jon Povill, Harold Livingston, a couple of current writers, and Walter Koenig filled in the story of how the motion picture went from TV to Movie to TV and back to Movie again.

Mr. Povill has a comment on there where he opines that STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE was the first time a TV show made it to the big screen. I can easily think of another that beat it by almost a decade - DARK SHADOWS. Anyway it's a ten minute featurette on the Blu-ray, if you care to duplicate the program at home.

I had a great time reliving the past, and it was actually better than the first time. Back in 1979, our film broke just at the climax of the movie.

ST:TMP will always hold a special place in my heart.

Osato, Doug Wallen and Blimpoy06 like this.
  6. Message #14226 of 14296 Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    I said “Batman” when Povill said that about Star Trek being the first film based on a tv show...

The host was critic Scott Mantz, by the way.

7. KPmusmag

KPmusmag Screenwriter
    Supporter

Kevin Parcher
    I had a great experience, also. Probably the best Fathom screening I have been to. For one thing, the screen was actually masked properly, which is a first (at least in my experience). And there was surround sound - which has been hit and miss at the Fathom screenings I have attended. I thought it looked great, and IMO the actors' skin did not have the waxy look like on the blu-ray.

Like others have said, the story is not the strongest, but I so vividly remember in 1979 the joy of seeing the characters reunited, those character moments make it for me. It is hard to explain to someone who didn't experience the interim, between the series ending and the first film, how special this was after watching the same 79 episodes over and over... Today I had tears in my eyes yet again as Scotty takes Kirk in the shuttle to the "new" Enterprise.

I had my doubts due to some less than stellar experiences with Fathom, but I am so glad I went.

Osato, B-ROLL, Harry-N and 2 others like this.
  8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    This appeared to be the same transfer used to create the Blu-ray, without the extra DNR that was added during the disc authoring stage. (This is also what iTunes has.)

I was happy with the presentation as a reflection of what the actual film looks like. It has tons of opticals, tons of diffusion, tons of split diapoter shots, so it’s never a film that’s looked sharp. But that’s much more apparent on the big screen. But the softness absolutely appeared natural and not the result of a digital manipulation. It’s just that a lot of the post production was incredibly rushed and you’re seeing less than perfect work displayed on a much larger scale than at home.

If the original elements used to make the effects composites somehow still existed, and I don’t think they do, this film would look incredible if someone could put it through postproduction and rebuild it from scratch. But that’s a huge ask that would be millions of dollars and require material that’s long since been lost to time, so not a realistic proposition.

ScottRE likes this.
  9. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Maybe it’s just me, but I really appreciated seeing the actual original subtitles with the font used in 1979. I always hate when they use bland “video” subtitles.

Dave Jessup and Josh Steinberg like this.
  10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It’s not just you :)

11. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

Saw this one on the big screen for the first time. I was 12 when it first came out but didn't get to see it. Over the years I've grown fonder of this film. I still have some issues with it (like the pajama uniforms) but it's still the most "epic" of the all the ST films and it still does have that feeling on the big screen. Like some have said, most of the picture was sharp with some shots being soft or even blurry. I arrived at 1:03 pm and thought I was late. Went straight to the theater and saw that there was a countdown on the screen saying I had 28 min. left so I went back out to get popcorn and a soda. I really wish they would do a marathon again with at least the first 6 movies.

About this being the first tv show to go to the big screen, wasn't Dr. Who a tv show before the movie or did the movie come out first?

12. Osato

Osato Producer

I saw it this afternoon with 2 friends and it was a great showing!
    I noticed so many audio things too.

It was so great to finally see the film in the theater!

I don’t watch the theatrical that much anymore even though I own the blu ray. The de dvd is my go to for this film. I was hoping to see the 2016 documentary about the film included on the 50th set but it was the 2009 blu ray feature about the film.

If you are on the fence or a Star Trek fan, go on Wednesday! It’s worth it and a lot of fun to see this film on a big screen!!

Looking forward to seeing the directors cut next year!

13. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Glad to hear of all the great experiences seeing The Motion Picture at the Fathom Event. I’ve got a lot going on and am making some sacrifices as time is my limiting factor now. So I missed today’s screening. If as Josh says, the print you saw was the source for the Blu Ray, But with out all the digital work to “sweeten it” then I wonder as Kirk and Scotty are doing the shuttlepod fly-over of the Enterprise, as they go past the shuttle craft landing bay and we see the huge side of the secondary hull, is the side pendant green as in the blu ray, or the correct Red color?

I’ve watched the theatrical several times recently, including the iTunes version which Josh also said the source for that HD file is the film shown today, the pendant is green.

Speaking of red, the final sequence, pun intended, when the crew are at the Voyager craft, and V’Ger is getting antsy, I've noticed on the iTunes edition how amazing the color saturation is. The red colored lighting is extremely solid, so I imagine your viewing experience was great during that part.

As for the film, I’ve gone back to liking the theatrical cut as much as the DE. But hope we get all the versions in remastered 4K and Blu Ray.

Osato likes this.
  14. Osato

Osato Producer

Nelson there is still time! Go Wednesday.

You love this film. Make the time. Don’t miss it!

15. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Doctor Who was a TV series first and the films were really kinda “in name only” sort of films.

The first one did come out in 1965. Does it count? It’s just the concept that was used and not the current or previous characters. Other than the Daleks. Batman used the series actors, characters and sets. I’m assuming Dark Shadows did as well. Star Trek was a legit continuation...

16. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    Not to get too far off topic, but The Munsters and McHales Navy both had feature films made in the 60's.
    munster-go-home.

MV5BOGM4MGYwYTgtNjg3Yy00MTAzLTlmNzItNWU1ZDUwYWZjNjdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQ3Njg3MQ@@._V1_.

B-ROLL likes this.
  17. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    Nope. Looked it up on the Interwebs, and the first TV series to big screen was -

- wait for it -

DRAGNET in 1954

B-ROLL, ScottRE and TravisR like this.
  18. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Star Trek was the first tv series to be resurrected from the dead via a major motion picture. So there’s that. :dance:

Osato and TravisR like this.
  19. Harry-N

Harry-N Producer

Harry N.
    This is true.

20. Osato

Osato Producer

I wish I could see another showing of tmp on Wednesday.

Does anyone have the 50th set? I was hoping the new doc for that set would be shown. Instead it was the one from 2009