What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I wish there was a master list and, unfortunately, there were some sound changes from the original prints to the prints the VHS and LD were struck from as well. Just as a quick example, the opening and closing title music was standardized to be the Fred Steiner "cello" arrangement for a every episode of the first season. Because of this change, the exact number of episodes which had the Alexander Courage original is in question. Some people say the first 5 aired episodes, some say 7, Paramount said the first 10 production episodes when they released the DVDs back in 1999 which is just all sorts of wrong. I am assuming What Are Little Girls Made Of? is the first aired episode with the Steiner arrangement going by recording dates.

Also, some of the music was mixed down for The Man Trap on VHS and the phaser rifle impact sound was removed (or mixed way down) in Where No Man Has Gone Before on VHS.

There has never been a 100% "night of original broadcast" accurate release of Star Trek on home video. Having that happen is a major desire of mine.

That's too bad, but I'm sure it would be a massive undertaking to compile such a list.

So, if changes had been made by the time of the videotape release, my assumption is the prints for the original syndication package were all the same as "night of original broadcast"?

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Before that, my local stations ran the old 16mm prints.

I work at a local ABC affiliate, and I used to work with a guy here who started out working in a Arizona TV market. He said the station he was at threw all their old 16mm Trek prints in the outside dumpster. Being a Trek fan, that afternoon when leaving work he climbed into the dumpster to "save" those old prints. He had a stack of film cans already outside the dumpster when the GM of the station walked out the little used rear door and spotted him. He was asked what he was doing, and he fessed up. The GM chewed him out, and told him to put them all back in the trash, and that they better stay there.

My thought, he should have came back late night instead of getting in the dumpster at quitting time. :)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I work at a local ABC affiliate, and I used to work with a guy here who started out working in a Arizona TV market. He said the station he was at threw all their old 16mm Trek prints in the outside dumpster. Being a Trek fan, that afternoon when leaving work he climbed into the dumpster to "save" those old prints. He had a stack of film cans already outside the dumpster when the GM of the station walked out the little used rear door and spotted him. He was asked what he was doing, and he fessed up. The GM chewed him out, and told him to put them all back in the trash, and that they better stay there.

My thought, he should have came back late night instead of getting in the dumpster at quitting time. :)

Ugh, that makes my stomach hurt.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
He said the station he was at threw all their old 16mm Trek prints in the outside dumpster
There are audio recordings found in a dumpster from the Third Season of Star Trek that were issued on an LP many years ago. I still listen to mine. There are extended sequences of scenes from "Whom Gods Destroy", "The Way To Eden" and "Turnabout Intruder" that never made it to air. I wish there was more material like this on the Roddenberry vault release.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I had a friend who did some dumpster diving with a buddy and between them got almost an entire run of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on 16mm from a local station. I still have VHS copies of most of them.

That's fantastic that they were able to save those!

Any goodies left intact within those prints? I'm talking things like the IN COLOR slate, or next week previews?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This evening and last night I viewed The Enemy Within and Mudd’s Women. I’m really enjoying revisiting the series on the anniversary. It’s been a while since I revisited the entire series. Something I never noticed before in all these years of watching is that you get a glimpse of Transporter Technician Wilson coming out if the Jeffries Tube in Charlie X who does the slap. Then he appeared in The Enemy Within.

Wilson: What happened?
Fisher: I took a flop.
Wilson: Onto what?!

It was pretty cool they had so many background players and reoccurring characters early on.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
It was pretty cool they had so many background players and reoccurring characters early on.

I agree, with so many people roaming the corridors it made it look like a functioning ship.

That aspect was sadly missing in the original Battlestar Galactica, except for the bridge scenes.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That's fantastic that they were able to save those!

Any goodies left intact within those prints? I'm talking things like the IN COLOR slate, or next week previews?

Oh, my friend, you would love these. I put some stuff on You Tube. Here’s the 3rd season network stuff. Anyway, I don’t wanna detail the thread too much...

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Oh, my friend, you would love these. I put some stuff on You Tube. Here’s the 3rd season network stuff. Anyway, I don’t wanna detail the thread too much...

Heck yeah! I will check those out right away. Thanks!

Speaking of previews, do any still exist from Star Trek showing the actual NEXT WEEK shot instead of that STAR TREK NEXT VOYAGE shot?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I’m pretty sure Roddenberry nicked those portions for Lincoln Enterprises. They’ve only showed up as slides. Ugh.

Someone on one of the Trek BBS was posting his recreations of them, which were spot on. But You Tube pulled them. I wish I downloaded them before then.

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Most likely the same as the blu-ray.

Beggars can’t be choosers.

Can’t wait to see it.

I’m guessing 5 will never be reissued so that will always be the one I missed in the big screen.

I wish the trek documentary from the 50th set was released separately to purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks