1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ockeghem, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t hate those early seasons and I actually really like season 2 a lot. There’s a lot of wacky, weird and wild shit that goes down and it’s a bit unlike anything that comes before or after it. The sense of them exploring the truly unknown was particularly strong that year.

KPmusmag and Blimpoy06 like this.
  2. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    One of my all time favorite TNG episodes is "Where Silence Has Lease" from season two. It never really gets mentioned by anyone as good or bad, but I really like the story. It has a similar feel to the TOS "The Corbormite Maneuver", where the crew know that they are most likely going to die, but have to press on with finding a solution while dealing with the emotions.

3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    TNG pretty much lost me on the very first episode - "Encounter at Farpoint." We got *another* "god" creature playing with the crew for no good reason. IMHO it has an unsatisfying conclusion like all of those type episodes in Trek. To me, "Q" is quite boring. Much like Bat-Mite is to Batman or Mxyzptlk is to Superman. They show up, cause random mischief, and go away on their own when they get bored. I've never liked those types of characters. Still, I watched S1. There were a few decent episodes but overall it felt like the Wesley Crusher show (after rewatching TNG a year or so back I discovered he wasn't the "center" of as many episodes as I'd felt with that first viewing).

I worked in broadcast at the time of TNG's first airings and was in charge of the record calendar (what and when Master Control recorded off satellite for later broadcast) so had *2* copies of TNG recorded. One to air - one for me. I'd go in on Sunday morning (it recorded Saturday night), take my copy, edit the commercials out, and dub it in SP mode to VHS for home viewings. I saw every episode 2-3 times because of that process. After the third episode of S2 I decided I really didn't like the series as they'd replaced Dr. Crusher (the only reason I had left to watch) with Diana Muldaur (I've never liked her - not even her appearances in TOS) and Wesley drove me to distraction. I took that 2nd copy off the calendar, and taped over my VHS copies.

I'd see random episodes every so often when channel hopping, occasionally watching an episode if nothing "better" was on. That's when I first saw an episode with The Borg. One of the most boring "villains" ever. Not quite as boring as "Q" but still a snooze.

Over the years of random viewing I pretty much decided I wasn't missing anything.

A few years back, after purchasing copies of all the other Trek series, the completist in me couldn't stand not owning a copy of TNG so I purchased cheap used copies of the individual seasons. After a year or so I started watching the series completely through for the first time. While watching I found it wasn't as Will centric as I'd thought and there were some fairly good episodes scattered throughout featuring the character. In spite of that I found I still didn't much care for most of it.

The holodeck episodes were mostly awful, frequently playing like rejected scripts for other series: "Hey! I wrote a script for xxx that didn't sell. With a little reworking we could use it as a holodeck episode!" I really dislike most holodeck episodes on any of the series so TNG isn't alone in this dislike.

The Borg had potential but the "reset button" seemed to be hit at the end of every episode in which they appeared. Like "Q" and holodeck episodes these showed up when the writers seemingly couldn't come up with anything better. Heck, one was even a season cliff hanger making it a 2 part snooze fest.

Riker is a stuffed shirt, Troi seems to serve no purpose, Picard is mostly a figure head/father figure confined to "Make it so" commands and generic advice, DATA is somewhat annoying, Wesley more so (at least in the early seasons) and just why was he even allowed on the bridge?, and Dr. Crusher was there because they always had a doctor on ship and almost as purposeless as Troi. The only truly interesting characters are Worf and Geordi and both felt underutilized.

About the time I finished S6 on DVD I purchased a UK BR set for *less* than those used DVDs. Again... the completist surfaced as I had BR copies of all the other Trek series and movies (yes, even the TNG ones and feel that they, too, are just not all that good). So I watched it *again* from the beginning on BR. The BR is the way to go as it looks excellent. Every time I watch the series I like it a little better but it still come away liking it less than any other Trek series other than S1 of Discovery.

4. Message #14124 of 14252 Jun 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Thank you! Finally someone that feels the exact way I do about TNG. I loved the first three seasons, and sure there were bad episodes in there, but overall that is the TNG I fell in love with. Not the ship-centric later seasons that got tangled more with drama than exploration/science fiction of alien worlds. Seasons 6, and 7 minus a few standout episodes are overwhelmingly barely average.

Yes. Like I said TNG should never gotten to be average or worse. There were plenty, and I mean plenty of great writers out there at the time.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  5. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I do feel that TNG got weaker once DS9 started and Michael Piller was more involved over there, and Jeri Taylor was brought in to run TNG. Taylor was a decent writer, but I didn't like her approach to overseeing a show (same goes for Voyager). Each season of TNG had standout episodes, but the 6th and 7th were weaker overall.

Nevertheless, seasons 3 and 4 and good part of 5 were consistently some of the best Star Trek ever made. I could pick out highlights from seasons 1 and 2 too.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Osato likes this.
  7. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Osato likes this.
  8. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Really enjoyed her in Everwood , very cute.

9. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I was in Big Lots today and took a look at the few DVD's and Blu Ray's they had in stock. I was surprised to see the Star Trek Compendium of the first two Kelvin Timeline films on blu ray for $5. Picked it up as well as the blu ray 3D combo pack of Star Trek Beyond which was also $5. I have never expressed my views on these films as I have never watched them before. I plan to watch all three tonight and tomorrow.
    51zRGUwhl2L. 91nLhVPZN0L._SX342_.

Jeff Flugel and Osato like this.
  10. Osato

Osato Producer

Great buys!!

Beyond is down to $6-7 on amazon.

I’m hoping to pick up the new repackage of the films on UHd soon. I think only amazon has it..

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  11. John*Wells

John*Wells Supporting Actor

John

I like Voyager but I was disappointed in the series ending. No Reunions with Star Fleet. I would have liked to see Tom and Admiral Paris talk for example

12. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    It took ten years, but I finally watch the 2009 Star Trek and it's two sequels. The Enterprise seems to serve only two purposes to these film makers. Being launched from space dock or destroyed. No love for the big E in this bunch. But then I thought back to the original six films, and they do pretty much the same. Here is my takeaway. After the first film, no one knows how to write Star Trek for the screen with a crew of over 400. (With the exception of Nick Meyer. He always has some general crew activity on screen that makes you feel like there are more than six competent people on board.)

The films tend to separate the core six from the ship and any resources it may provide. This simplifies the story telling, particularly for a film. I feel this removes the uniqueness that is Trek in some regards. Is Star Trek better on the small screen because of this? I enjoy watching the crews work together to solve problems. The principle characters of Trek are largely department heads. They would have scores of competent professionals who report to them under their direction. (So Chekov going to run engineering when Scotty is gone in Darkness makes no sense at all.)

It looks like they new Picard series is keeping it simple by placing it out of Starfleet with a small crew and small vessel. Does anyone else miss the esprit de corps the TV shows seemed to have?

B-ROLL and Osato like this.
  13. John*Wells

John
    So who would watch a 5-10 episode mini series that would continue DS9. ??

Doug Wallen, Osato and Sam Favate like this.
  14. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I would love that so much. Of all the series, DS9 is the one most needing continuation.

Doug Wallen and Osato like this.
  15. John*Wells

John
    I finally got to sit down and watch What we Left Behind. It’s obvious to me after watching it that such a plan would make sense. As they pointed out, Sisko did say He’d come back. I’d love it also

Doug Wallen and Osato like this.
  16. Osato

Osato Producer

I appreciate your reviews!
    I love the first movie but I haven’t watched any of these in years.
    I tend to watch the older films a lot.

I would like to see generations again as I have not seen the tng films in a very long time.

1-6 the tos films are my essentials. We need some UHd Blu ray releases of those. However I was stunned at how good khan remastered Blu ray looked in my UHd Oled tv!!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  17. John*Wells

John
    The piano at the start screen of What we Left Behind is beautiful I always thought the DS 9 theme was great. I’ve heard different versions on YouTube but the piano is awesome

Osato and Doug Wallen like this.
  18. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    If the Picard launch is successful, it’s not unreasonable that some kind of DS9 continuation could happen one day. I don’t know if the documentary producers were thinking about it when they started their work, but the whole film felt almost like a sales pitch to CBS All Access to me.

19. John*Wells

John
    Josh,

That’s what I was thinking as it went on. I think the cast would be in (except Terry Ferrell unless it’s in flashbacks) I the story they laid out even seems intriguing and would make sense

20. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    I would want the core writing staff back if DS9 were to continue. Most, if not all, of those shown in the writer's room for an 8th season in the documentary are busy on other shows currently. Most notably Ira Steven Behr and Ronald D. Moore are show runners on Outlander.