What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely hate it when whatever company now distributes the programs adds their logo as if they had anything to do with the original production/distribution. It just throws me off.

As long as the original logos appear in their proper place (and are of the proper vintage), it doesn't bother me if a modern logo is added on afterward.

What does irk me a bit is when the original logos are cut out and replaced by modern logos (or logos from a different studio). As you mentioned, CBS is often bad for that.

I was a bit surprised when WB Archive did that on Man From Atlantis. They completely snipped out the Solow Production Company ending logos. I'd have expected it from the main studio, but not the Archive. At least they didn't do that to Shazam!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
We're going off on a tangent, but it got me thinking about how I would never finish watching a show until the closing logos. It’s funny, isn’t it, how logos make such a difference? I like them for completeness, but they also have a very strong connection to my childhood and the wonderful feelings they bring up. Some that I love dearly:

The Screen Gems “S From Hell”: when the Sony logo replaced it on I Dream of Jeannie, I was crushed, But…when Mill Creek put them back on, I was thrilled. I put up with far too heavily compressed video to watch episodes with the proper logo. And, I never got how the S was “scary.” It is a source of comfort to me.

Rankin/Bass: does anything say Christmas more than the Rankin/Bass logo?

ITC: most people equate it with The Muppet Show, but I always considered it the announcement that “Space:1999 has arrived.” And it’s not on a single DVD or Blu-Ray release of the series. I have it on my VHS copy of Destination Moonbase Alpha, but the graphic isn’t quite right.

Lorimar: after Dallas. Every Friday.

PBS: throughout the 70’s this meant something special to me.

Four D productions at the end of Barney Miller. I loved that one.

And later, in syndication, the loud Viacom advancing V logo.

Any other favorites?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Definitely way off topic! :)

I’ll add; what about the United Artists logo and music that appears before a Bond film in the early 1970’s.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, for now, the temporary guy running CBS is aligned with CBS All Access so for now it’s going to continue. I do wonder if this puts the new Star Trek series with Patrick Stewart in peril. As you might know, it’s now been tweeted by series producer Michael Chabon that the series will be in the year 2399, 20 years after Nemesis.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sam, for now, the temporary guy running CBS is aligned with CBS All Access so for now it’s going to continue. I do wonder if this puts the new Star Trek series with Patrick Stewart in peril. As you might know, it’s now been tweeted by series producer Michael Chabon that the series will be in the year 2399, 20 years after Nemesis.

I can't imagine anything would put the Picard series in jeopardy. It's very high profile, has gotten nothing but positive reactions and will be a big boon to CBS AA when it premieres. The press coverage will be enormous.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I just want them to get Chis Pine back to the negotiating table and get him into the next movie. I don't care about Hemsworth, but recasting Kirk again doesn't set well with me since he JUST got it right in Beyond. And a TOS movie without Kirk doesn't have me...

And a really good Blu Ray release of the series with the credits and sound mix back. Trek truly deserved the Twilight Zone treatment. But that is just a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can't imagine anything would put the Picard series in jeopardy. It's very high profile, has gotten nothing but positive reactions and will be a big boon to CBS AA when it premieres. The press coverage will be enormous.

Agreed. I know nothing about what's going on, but I can't imagine they're going to deep-six Discovery and stop production of Short Treks or pre-production of the Picard series. They're trying desperately to have as many "name" franchises on the service and, if they really want year-round Trek, then they'll need two more series of 13 episodes each to make that a reality. (The Picard show is likely to bring in a TON of new subscribers...like me...)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
CBS AA is going to pump out more and more Star Trek programs regardless of who is in charge. It's brand recognition is exactly what AA needs to generate interest in their service.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Funny, I am happy to wait for Blu Ray releases of their shows. I hate the the whole idea of a subscription to a service for literally one series. I know, I can pay for a month or use the trial and cancel, but it's Star Trek. I'm really just gonna watch it one time? I'd rather pay $50 for a BD set to watch as often as I want forever. In better quality, btw.

So, Picard show or more Discovery, this isn't gonna get me to sign up.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just want them to get Chis Pine back to the negotiating table and get him into the next movie.

I suspect that's what's going on now. It's been radio silence from Paramount and Pine's agent since that article was published about negotiations breaking down. If they weren't talking, we'd probably be hearing from Paramount that recasting was underway, or that the entire project was being on hold. The fact that we're not hearing anything suggests to me that both sides are working on a resolution.

In the end, I would guess that Pine will probably sign a deal for less guaranteed money up front than his current contract provides for, but with a larger percentage of the box office (and maybe a guarantee to finance an unrelated movie of interest to him, or something along those lines). I think Paramount understands that they cannot easily replace him at this point, nor can they kill him off. It's one thing to write-off Chekov, it's another thing entirely to get rid of Kirk.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Don't know if I showed this here or anywhere, but this was ABC's Sunday Night Movie opening from 1985, for a broadcast of the second O-R Trek film from 1982, The Wrath of Khan (w/the great, late Ricardo Montalban as the title character, and quite famously featuring William Shatner as Kirk yelling "Khan!!!!!!!!!"):

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
ABC's Sunday Night Movie opening from 1985, for a broadcast of the second O-R Trek film from 1982, The Wrath of Khan
I was so excited seeing the extended edit of the film that ABC aired. I taped it the second time ABC aired it. Had it for years on VHS before it was ever released on home video. It's still slightly different from the DVD/blu-ray version.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I was so excited seeing the extended edit of the film that ABC aired. I taped it the second time ABC aired it. Had it for years on VHS before it was ever released on home video. It's still slightly different from the DVD/blu-ray version.

And I recall that when it was shown again on ABC in 1988, it was a Thursday Night Movie:

BTW, how is how ABC showed it different from the DVD/Blu-- missing scenes, missing lines, etc. (outside of the obvious commercial breaks)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks