What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
But logically, this shouldn't even be an issue. Harry Kim was a bridge officer, commands the night shift at times, and probably a senior ship's officer. He's important to the ship's functioning. Wouldn't he be the logical, more important choice to save over the person down on deck 11 modifying shuttles?
Harry Kim was an Ensign. Ensigns are not senior officers. They are in fact, the lowest ranking officers in the Star Trek Universe. Being on the bridge does not make you "more Important" than others on any vessel. The types of roles he performed are common in modern military organizations to allow development of leadership skills in junior officers. As a former crew chief on F-16's, I take strong exception to maintenance work being "less important" than administrative duties. There are more people qualified to stand watch on the bridge than are able to repair the engines.

The writers realized that Harry Kim was the Uhura and Troi of Voyager, and were creating new roles for him to do that were slightly more interesting to than report on some strange readings on his console.They should have just gone ahead and promoted him to make it more believable. Rank is something all Trek shows seem to struggle with. Most Ensigns today would make Lt. JG in less than two years.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There’s a possibility that Archer and NX-01 will be mentioned in Discovery. And Star Trek 2009 did mention an admiral’s beagle. :)

Agreed and understood...though that was the Kelvin timeline and we know what happens in either timeline doesn’t necessarily happen in the other...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jason, at the risk of being pedantic, there was a visual Easter Egg in Star Trek Nemesis on the stellar cartography screen of a battle group of ships, one being the USS Archer. :) I’m not trying to push Enterprise. I had remembered later about that reference in Nemesis, but I only knew about it because another fan or site had found it and posted about it.

But I agree about the Kelvin universe, what happens there stays there.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jason, at the risk of being pedantic, there was a visual Easter Egg in Star Trek Nemesis on the stellar cartography screen of a battle group of ships, one being the USS Archer. :) I’m not trying to push Enterprise. I had remembered later about that reference in Nemesis, but I only knew about it because another fan or site had found it and posted about it.

But I agree about the Kelvin universe, what happens there stays there.

Not pedantic at all. I just didn’t mention Nemesis.

My only rebuttal would be no mention of the first Warp 5 ship. No mention of the first Vulcan to serve on an Earth ship. No mention of the Denobulans, the Xindi, the attack on Earth. No mention or databases of the Ferengi or the Borg...

I just have a hard time with all prequels for this reason. Enterprise had great moments and I enjoyed watching the show on BD so please don’t think I’m a hater...I’m not.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Those are very fair comments Jason. And I agree, about the prequels. They have their own stories and situations and they also do things that would seem as historic, but they can not retcon the earlier shows that depict the timeline after Enterprise. From watching TOS all my life, it feels like Spock was the first Vulcan to serve on a starship. It’s not specifically said. We do know though that one starship is manned by Vulcans, the Intrepid. Presumably this occurs some years after Spock’s posting under Captain Pike.

I did watch another episode of Enterprise, one of the episodes I liked a lot, The Andorian Incident. I think at the time, I had issues of the Vulcans being so sneaky and lying to protect their observation station on P’Jem. I liked that T’Pol was shocked to see the spy operation exposed as she was under the mainstream impression that Vulcan didn’t do what the Andorian’s knew. I’ve been able to better accept this side of the Vulcan high Command when it was revealed to be a Romulan plot in the fourth season. I liked the Shran character too. Jeffrey Combs has amassed a nice portfolio of characters on the various Star Trek series. His Shran was a nice addition to Enterprise.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
From watching TOS all my life, it feels like Spock was the first Vulcan to serve on a starship. It’s not specifically said. We do know though that one starship is manned by Vulcans, the Intrepid.
My take is that Spock was the first Vulcan to serve on an Earth manned Starship. It's difficult to understand the relationship of Starfleet to the rest of the Federation. There is dialogue that tends to support that it was an Earth based organization. (United Earth Space Probe Agency). We never see any other race in a Starfleet uniform other than Spock. Kirk's explanation of the crew to Captain Christopher in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" never mentions any other races being part of the crew. The Intrepid mentioned in "The immunity Syndrome" is manned entirely by Vulcans. So the evidence supports that Starships were not diversely populated at this point in the Federation, but operated by a crew of a single race.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Those are very fair comments Jason. And I agree, about the prequels. They have their own stories and situations and they also do things that would seem as historic, but they can not retcon the earlier shows that depict the timeline after Enterprise. From watching TOS all my life, it feels like Spock was the first Vulcan to serve on a starship. It’s not specifically said. We do know though that one starship is manned by Vulcans, the Intrepid. Presumably this occurs some years after Spock’s posting under Captain Pike.

My take is that Spock was the first Vulcan to serve on an Earth manned Starship. It's difficult to understand the relationship of Starfleet to the rest of the Federation. There is dialogue that tends to support that it was an Earth based organization. (United Earth Space Probe Agency). We never see any other race in a Starfleet uniform other than Spock. Kirk's explanation of the crew to Captain Christopher in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" never mentions any other races being part of the crew. The Intrepid mentioned in "The immunity Syndrome" is manned entirely by Vulcans. So the evidence supports that Starships were not diversely populated at this point in the Federation, but operated by a crew of a single race.

Yeah, I've always felt he was the first Vulcan in Starfleet and that does jive with T'Pol...she was never in any version of Starfleet. She merely served on a largely human ship. All that being said, and despite what I've said above, Enterprise does get unfairly maligned, like Voyager. Some eps aren't good, but others are stellar. They just shot themselves in the foot early on and never recovered.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ive watched DS 9 at least 3 times Start to Finish. The ending has always bugged me. Kai Winn spent the whole Series a Bajoran Vedek and at the end is shown to be a Pah Wraith? and Sisko and the Pah Wraith that has taken over Du Kat's Person go into the Fire Caves?

I'd go back to the beginning of The Final Chapter and rewatch. Kai Winn was not a Pah Wraith. Her character arc, from the beginning, hinged on jealousy of Sisko for being the Emissary. Through the series, she is shown to supposedly love the Prophets but really be out for herself (not the protector or savior of her people). The second season opening trilogy showcases this.

She was presented with Dukat and his belief in the Pah Wraith, a group of beings who would give her what she wanted and felt she deserved. That's the baseline: she's always felt as though she deserved more than she got. In the Fire Caves in "What You Leave Behind," everyone gets to see Dukat has been inhabited by the Pah Wraith's and Winn was about to join him. Sisko stops them.

Therefore, she was not a Pah Wraith.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I dreamed last night I was back on the set of TNG again. It's been a long, long time since I dreamed that.

It's all about credibility. And for me, STD had very little.

Happy days are here again.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The answer to the question "when are they putting Discovery on Blu so we can actually see it?" has been answered

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/08/star-trek-discovery-heads-to-blu-ray-on-november-13/

November 13.
When I watched it week by week (with the hiatus in between) I wondered if it would be better if I could have binged it, since that is what it was ultimately designed for. I'll never know if I would have liked it better had I binged it the first time I ever saw it, but I certainly liked it better when I binged it the second time I saw it, mainly because instant gratification is always good and also I didn't have as much time between episodes to think about all the plot holes.

I believe watching it on BD will be just as good if not better. It is in my DNA to support the studio and the franchise, so this is a must buy for me.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I watched it week by week (with the hiatus in between) I wondered if it would be better if I could have binged it, since that is what it was ultimately designed for. I'll never know if I would have liked it better had I binged it the first time I ever saw it, but I certainly liked it better when I binged it the second time I saw it, mainly because instant gratification is always good and also I didn't have as much time between episodes to think about all the plot holes.

I believe watching it on BD will be just as good if not better. It is in my DNA to support the studio and the franchise, so this is a must buy for me.

I didn't watch Discovery until, like, May.

Watching it over the course of a couple days did have its drawbacks. It let me easily pick out some things I hated because they were repeated so often in such a short span of time.

For example, By the final episode, if someone had discussed "the souls" lost on a ship or planet one more time, I was going to defenestrate my TV. It was that annoying.

Also, it made me understand the cries of "MARY SUE" in regards to Michael, and how they were incorrect in regards to the actual character, but correct in how she was handled. Michael wasn't a Mary Sue. But, at least once per episode for at least the first 5 episodes, the show ground to a halt at least once so everyone could talk about how Michael was the best and brightest and smartest and all around nifty keenest person evar in Starfleet, and just the best mutineer ever.

Maybe watching one per week would've lessened the annoyance at things like that.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The priority of the show was the spectacle of it, the look of it, so I feel like I just have to see the Blu-rays. I'm sure they are going to be beautiful to look at.

Maybe the priority of season two will be the story, the directing, the acting. Hopefully the special effects will be in service to those things, instead of the other way around.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm much like Alan in my overall feelings towards the franchise and will purchase the BR, once the price comes down to "reasonable," for just that reason. But I also see it sitting on my shelf, unwatched, for months, if not years. After all, it took ~30 years for me to cave and purchase TNG because of my dislike of S1 and the first few episodes I'd watched of S2 during its original run. I found it'd gotten better over the years, but it's still my least favorite Trek series - wait... ST: D took that slot - Correction - TNG is my 2nd least favorite Trek series.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The answer to the question "when are they putting Discovery on Blu so we can actually see it?" has been answered

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/08/star-trek-discovery-heads-to-blu-ray-on-november-13/

November 13.

So first, I always said Discovery would make it to disc. It didn't make sense not to.

But what doesn't make sense, at least with the info we have, is there's no 4k option. If there was, I'd preorder now and set aside an entire weekend with some friends to binge the hell out of it. As is, I have to really decide if I want to add the BD when the show should be ready for 4k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks