What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
With the release of The Outer Limits on Blu-ray, I’ve been reading some interesting links about the series and blu ray release. I’m not a Facebook member or user. :). But I found a link to David Schow’s Facebook page for The Outer Limits Companion book he wrote. It has a lot of cool posts. One was a link to an interview with Marianna Hill, an actress we know very little about as she never gave interviews or was not very public. So it was pretty cool to find a post that had a link to a blogger who has a very extensive interview with her and it covers quite a career before and after her appearances on The Outer Limits, I, Robot and Dagger of the Mind. Worth the half hour or more to read.

https://hillplace.blogspot.com/2016/12/medium-cool-marianna-hill-interview.html

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Marianna Hill
img20180402_05225914.jpg

From my personal collection of Star Trek autographs.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
One was a link to an interview with Marianna Hill, an actress we know very little about as she never gave interviews or was not very public. So it was pretty cool to find a post that had a link to a blogger who has a very extensive interview with her and it covers quite a career before and after her appearances on The Outer Limits, I, Robot and Dagger of the Mind. Worth the half hour or more to read.

https://hillplace.blogspot.com/2016/12/medium-cool-marianna-hill-interview.html

Very interesting, detailed article on an actress who appeared in many of my favorite TV series (and some terrific movies as well)...thanks for the link! Highly recommended reading for not only fans of Trek, but of the myriad other shows that Ms. Hill appeared in over the years.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Full disclosure: I'm the guy who actually likes "Spock's Brain."
vlcsnap-2018-04-30-17h24m07s746.png

I too have a fondness for this strange episode. Mostly for the work of Marc Daniels. In his last outing as director, Daniels delivers some of the most interesting and unique angles of the bridge. The use of rear screen projection while Kirk stands in front of the helm console is a favorite of mine.
vlcsnap-2018-04-30-17h32m04s575.png

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2018-04-30-17h20m11s918.png
    vlcsnap-2018-04-30-17h20m11s918.png
    805.2 KB · Views: 46

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Travis, enjoy the journey!

Though the third year as you might know, your mileage might vary. :)
I knew enough about the original series to know that S3 is generally regarded as the weakest of the lot. However, I didn't really think of that as the third season started this week on METV but I was quickly reminded when I watched Spock's Brain.

I too have a fondness for this strange episode.
I have to admit that I found it oddly compelling because it's such a strange episode.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I knew enough about the original series to know that S3 is generally regarded as the weakest of the lot. However, I didn't really think of that as the third season started this week on METV but I was quickly reminded when I watched Spock's Brain.
It's a very odd season as it contains some of the worst as well as some of the best episodes.

The season premier, "Spock's Brain," was followed by the excellent "Enterprise Incident." But it also has what, IMHO, it the true worst episode of the series, "The Empath," which I rank slightly lower than "The Way to Eden" (I very much dislike any and all TV show episodes which attempted to inject "hippie" culture as they all failed miserably) and "The Children Shall Lead."

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like The Empath, despite being probably the lowest-budget episode of the series. (No walls for the set? Somehow it works.) But Spock's Brain and The Children Shall Lead are probably my least favorite episodes. I confess I often fall asleep in the latter.

The Way To Eden has a certain charm to it. I like the fun it tried to have with the audience. There are a few 3rd season episodes I'd place among my favorites: The Enterprise Incident, Day of the Dove and All Our Yesterdays. Plenty of people put down Let That Be Your Last Battlefield and For the World Is Hollow... but I like those too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My opinion of The Empath shot way up on one viewing when I paid more attention and noticed how Gem was able to see how devoted Spock was to Kirk and McCoy. And the warm smile she had from touching Spock was so telling. They really showed that they understood the characters and if it was in the writing, it was a great sequence. The brotherhood of the main characters really took on a more prominent place. It was there before, especially in Amok Time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation172
    Recent bookmarks