What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (13 Viewers)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'll agree with Ben - other than ST: Beyond as I've not yet seen that one. I *did* purchase a copy this weekend but don't know if I'll keep it or not. It was $10 and, based on my lack of enjoyment with the first two films of the new series, had declared my max price paid would be $5 (for a DVD and the $10 is the Target "exclusive features" BR edition). I'm thinking I overpaid and rarely watch "bonus features" on films I like very well. I have until sometime in January to decide for sure.

Has there been any movement on the new TV show? The last I heard it was partially stalled since the main show runner left and casting hadn't been done - for a show with a fairly early 2017 premiere - with lots of sfx. That doesn't bode well...

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'll agree with Ben - other than ST: Beyond as I've not yet seen that one. I *did* purchase a copy this weekend but don't know if I'll keep it or not. It was $10 and, based on my lack of enjoyment with the first two films of the new series, had declared my max price paid would be $5 (for a DVD and the $10 is the Target "exclusive features" BR edition). I'm thinking I overpaid and rarely watch "bonus features" on films I like very well. I have until sometime in January to decide for sure.

Has there been any movement on the new TV show? The last I heard it was partially stalled since the main show runner left and casting hadn't been don - for a show with a fairly early 2017 premiere - with lots of sfx. That doesn't bode well...

Bob: After you watch Beyond, I'd be interested to read your review. I had significant problems with Trek 2009 and Trek into Darkness, but in spite of the problems I'd probably rate each of them a "B-" or so. But Beyond was more like a "D" for me. But some Trek fans here really like it, which is a bit perplexing. I'm not sure, but I have a theory that maybe a majority of Trek fans under 45 or so like it, while a majority of those over c. 45 don't like it.

Why? Another theory that's likely to get me in trouble. But, anyway, here it is: many people under 45 play video games, at least some of the time, while a lot of people over 45 don't. A lot of Beyond played like a non-stop videogame to me. People who play videogames dig that, while those who don't play videogames don't.

I'm 52, and I don't play videogames (although my kids do, which is fine). I have nothing against videogames really, except for one thing—the effect videogames seem to have had on our movies over the last 10 years.

Now, I'll wait for the slings and arrows....

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'll just say that I'm under 45, don't play video games and don't even know how to turn my wife's PS4 on, loved the original series and loved the movie too. My mom is over 45, doesn't play video games, and liked the movie a lot.

I think you're perhaps reading into a correlation that's not really there. Most people who saw this movie liked it, and critics generally approved. A few people didn't like it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most people that didn't like the movie generally praised the visuals but felt the story was too simple for a feature length movie, and didn't think the villain was sufficently delevoped. I don't know that the reaction to this movie can be broken down across generational lines - I think if you did, you'd find that the majority of people who saw the movie, regardless of age group, generally enjoyed it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Bob: After you watch Beyond, I'd be interested to read your review. I had significant problems with Trek 2009 and Trek into Darkness, but in spite of the problems I'd probably rate each of them a "B-" or so. But Beyond was more like a "D" for me. But some Trek fans here really like it, which is a bit perplexing. I'm not sure, but I have a theory that maybe a majority of Trek fans under 45 or so like it, while a majority of those over c. 45 don't like it.

Why? Another theory that's likely to get me in trouble. But, anyway, here it is: many people under 45 play video games, at least some of the time, while a lot of people over 45 don't. A lot of Beyond played like a non-stop videogame to me. People who play videogames dig that, while those who don't play videogames don't.

I'm 52, and I don't play videogames (although my kids do, which is fine). I have nothing against videogames really, except for one thing—the effect videogames seem to have had on our movies over the last 10 years.

I mostly enjoyed Trek 2009 (I'd give it a "B-") but very much disliked Into Darkness (a solid "D" IMHO) as it was, to me, nothing more than a lame rewrite and partial update of The Wrath of Khan. If I want to see TWOK, I'll watch the original and don't need a half-baked remake. It's because of my dislike of Into Darkness that I have trepidation about Beyond. That and the fact that Simon Peg was a major writer on the film (most of his work is comedy so just what qualifies him to write *Trek*?), and that, based on what I've seen in previews, it looks to be more of a action/adventure type film, like the first two. While I like some action and adventure in Trek I also like a good, intelligent, story and from what I've read about Beyond there's not one, or at least not one worthy of the Star Trek name. Anyway... I'll know more after I've actually watched the film.

The biggest issue I have with the new movies is that it's Kirk and Co., but in a alternate universe with many changes that seem to be done for nothing other than to be different in some manner. OK... I can get behind the alternate universe aspect *if* it were used wisely, but they seem to be using it to make changes in characters, to make Trek more "PC" or "modern," or "just because," and that just does not work for Trek, at least not for me. If it were a completely different set of characters I'd be OK with this series, other than the rip offs of old Trek episodes, and would likely give the films slightly higher scores. I didn't like it when the original cast films ripped off episodes, my biggest beef with ST:TMP, and sure don't for these updated versions. For all their bluster they're mostly reflective of the current Hollywood trend of playing it safe with remakes/sequels and offering *nothing* truly "new."

I'm 61 and a avid video gamer, both on consoles and the PC. BUT I do *not* like movies to look like video games. Heck, I don't like the way most video games look simply because so much time is spent making them "look good" that they forget to program a good *game.*

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just finished watching the extras for beyond. Decent at best. Nice that they did a tribute to Leonard and Anton.
On the live long and prosper feature they celebrate the series with tons of clips from the tos and tng films. The funny thing to me is that the skip 5, the final frontier!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The funny thing to me is that the skip 5, the final frontier!

I also noticed that.

I am 59 and I enjoyed Beyond. I am an original fan and found the movie to be very "Trek"-y until the films climax. I didn't buy the villians motivation or find it all that original. I did enjoy the nods to the original series.

I am still waiting on a truly original, thought provoking script that finally shows that the Kelvin timeline understands what Trek can accomplish. We need a film to cause us to examine our lives and set about making changes to create a better world now and in the future. I can still dream, can't I? I don't need another effects/cgi extravaganza, just some thoughtful ideas to flesh out our characters to create the type of drama that comprises excellent Trek.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot

I'll just say that I just turned 51 and loved Beyond. Much more than either of the previous two (although I did like the 2009 movie, but was really tempted to walk out of ST:ID when Spock screamed "KHAAAAAAAN!!!"... but we were already near the end at that point, so...).

And, I'm a life-long TOS fan.

Can't say that I agree with the statement that it played like a video game. What kind of video game do you think it looks like? Pong? Asteroids? Super Mario? Star Fox? Myst? Candy Crush?

Just wondering...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I'll just say that I just turned 51 and loved Beyond. Much more than either of the previous two (although I did like the 2009 movie, but was really tempted to walk out of ST:ID when Spock screamed "KHAAAAAAAN!!!"... but we were already near the end at that point, so...).

And, I'm a life-long TOS fan.

Can't say that I agree with the statement that it played like a video game. What kind of video game do you think it looks like? Pong? Asteroids? Super Mario? Star Fox? Myst? Candy Crush?

Just wondering...

Agreed on into darkness. It was just wrong for them to go there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's another year and it's December 7th. A day we remember the attack on Pearl Harbor and the 1979 release of Star Trek The Motion Picture. Also another year without a remaster of the Robert Wise cut on blu-ray. In my opinion, it's the best motion picture realization of Star Trek. Even with all it's flaws, it's pure Star Trek. And in my more mature view of the film, it's not a rip on The Changling. I'll have to give it a spin this weekend.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It's another year and it's December 7th. A day we remember the attack on Pearl Harbor and the 1979 release of Star Trek The Motion Picture. Also another year without a remaster of the Robert Wise cut on blu-ray. In my opinion, it's the best motion picture realization of Star Trek. Even with all it's flaws, it's pure Star Trek. And in my more mature view of the film, it's not a rip on The Changling. I'll have to give it a spin this weekend.

Hopeful for a 2018 release. Paramount has to keep us buying.

I saw that writing may have started for the next film????

https://www.google.com/amp/www.game...test-news-update-simon-pegg.htm?client=safari

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw that writing may have started for the next film????

I thought they were going to take the rejected Patrick McKay/John Payne script that Roberto Orci was going to direct, and make that. Before Beyond came out, Paramount issued a press release that Star Trek 4 was a go with a script by McKay and Payne, which lead me to believe that it was simply the same script they opted not to make this year.

There's something that doesn't seem quite kosher about that article - I've never heard of the website, and the way it's written contains a whole bunch of phrases that don't really add up to much. At one point, it says "Star Trek 4 is expected to be a good movie." It also says that Paramount has set a release date for July for the new movie; they have not. It ends with this paragraph, which frankly I just don't even understand:
The first film of "Star Trek" is "Star Trek: Discovery Casts" while the second is "Star Trek: Zero Dark Thirty". "Star Trek 4" will be directed by Justin Lin and the next film will be the savior of the "Star Trek Beyond".
I'm sorry Osato, I don't mean to pick on you, but I don't think this article can be trusted.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This is a new one for me. I love it.

Logical.JPG

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The magazine came out in the fall of 1967, and they are out on location, so it would either have to be Bread and Circuses or A Private Little War, and Shatner's costume eliminates Bread and Circuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks