What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (5 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Lee. I remember that series but never saw it or knew what it was about. I looked it up on Wikipedia. Shout appears to have the DVD rights and will release Season 1 in October of this year. Funny Scott. :)Thanks Lou, looking forward to the Cushman interview info.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Lou Sytsma said:
Thanks guys. I'll try to find the relevant interview and point out where Cushman mentions his hopes of getting a dramatization of the creation of the series out for the 50th Anniversary.
I know he talked about it on a podcast called Treks in SciFi.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Most welcome.

BTW - is this on anyone's Christmas list?

Star Trek Phaser Remote Replica

tgphase.jpg

tgphase-2.jpg

1db4_star_trek_phaser_remote_replica_box_open.jpg

The transit case is a nice touch!

1db4_star_trek_phaser_remote_replica_box_closed.jpg

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lou,I wish. I saw those images yesterday and posted them to my son's Facebook page. I love the TOS remote replica. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yeah, I'm sure to get some serious eye rolls from the missus on asking for this one for a Christmas gift.

BTW, something I'm really looking forward to that I thought I would share - there is an upcoming SF Convention nearby where I live in Edmonton, AB called PureSpec and the Guest Of Honour is David Gerrold! :cool:

I've been a big fan of his since his Trouble With Tribbles episode having read his book on the making of it as well as several of his books - When Harlie Was One, The War With The Chtorr series, and a short story collection of his - With A Finger In My Eye. So his coming all the way up to the Great White North is a real treat!

On the off chance anyone on this thread is close to Edmonton and/or plans to attend feel free to sound off and we can meet at the Con!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lou,That's wonderful that David Gerrold will be there. Getting his autograph (and of course speaking to him) would surely be a treat. :)

Holy Special Guest Star Batman!

I never knew that Bette Davis was in an episode of Perry Mason. Anyway, I continue to marvel at the number of actors in that series who later were in TOS. And in keeping somewhat with the Batman theme, we even had Neil Hamilton in tonight's episode.

Here is an interesting article on the importance of DeForest Kelley's 'lucky haircut.' And there are a couple of very nice photos of the TOS crew to see as well.http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-and-newspapers-part-2

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Fun article on the haircut!Bette Davis did do a Perry Mason, but she wasn't a regular suspect. She was, as I recall, the first of four special guest lawyers filling in for Raymond Burr when he had to have surgery. I think I remember the other three, but I'll save that for the Perry Mason trivia thread...(And there was a last one in a later season, when Burr was unable to appear again.)Was that the one where Yvonne Craig played Neil Hamilton's daughter? (Talk about foreshadowing!)Lou, enjoy the convention. I've never seen David Gerrold in person, but he seems like he would be a good raconteur. Tell us about any good stories he shares.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's a pretty deluxe remote! They went all out on that one. I once got a TNG phaser remote. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I doubt I'll get up to Edmonton, but have a great time at the convention! It's possible I saw Gerrold at a convention a very long time ago, but I don't recall. Scott, that's a cool article, I will read the whole thing as soon as I finish here, I skimmed it out. I never heard that haircut story before. That couple who wrote the article seem to be making quite a name for themselves doing all these researchy things, they did a very in depth research article on why the villain in Into Darkness had to be Khan based on all their researches.And now, to trivial matters. :)I've been listening to The Apple and I, Mudd during my commute. One thing that I found interesting is that as Vaal has got his grip on the Enterprise, Kirk makes the leap that there is a drain in power from Vaal. He has Scotty monitor the power output of the Vaal as it keeps a hold on the ship. What occurred to me is that Kirk really figures it out early on that the Enterprise fighting Vaal is draining Vaal's power reserves. But it isn't until Scotty throws everything at Vaal with one big full reverse thrust to get away that that they see a real measurable drain. Then he gets the idea to use the phasers. I suppose Coon wanted to keep that bit until the end to reveal the final solution to overcome Vaal. And then the I, Mudd episode inspired my trivia question. At the end, when Kirk and crew are about to leave, Kirk leaves a special surprise for Mudd, the 500 Stella's. During the sequence when Mudd is confronted by the three Stella's, it's actually possible to audibly pick up two or three things that Stella orders Harry to do. I clearly heard 2 things. Can you name them? And if you heard more, please articulate!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
Fun article on the haircut!Bette Davis did do a Perry Mason, but she wasn't a regular suspect. She was, as I recall, the first of four special guest lawyers filling in for Raymond Burr when he had to have surgery. I think I remember the other three, but I'll save that for the Perry Mason trivia thread...(And there was a last one in a later season, when Burr was unable to appear again.)Was that the one where Yvonne Craig played Neil Hamilton's daughter? (Talk about foreshadowing!)
Lee,

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. :)

I saw the other (same season) guest stars in addition to Bette Davis. One of them is very well known in science fiction circles.

No, Yvonne Craig wasn't in the Bette Davis episode of Perry Mason. Still, it's astounding to me how many people I know from other series in just about every episode of Perry Mason.

Nelson,

Did one of the items we hear have to do with Stella telling Harry to cut down on his eating habits a tad?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, Stella does comment on Harry over eating. But I don't believe that particular comment is what she orders him to do. In my area, Perry Mason airs at 11:30pm, and I try to be asleep by then.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I checked--Neil Hamilton and Yvonne Craig guested together in a first season episode.Nelson, I suppose one could argue that Kirk may have wanted to hold off risking the Enterprise's remaining power with a sustained pull-away attempt. Or that the phasers only worked after Vaal had been weakened by starvation and the Enterprise's resistance. (That combination seemed to have done the trick with Apollo a few weeks earlier.) But in truth, you are probably right that Kirk and Scott figure things out when it is dramatically expedient for them to do so.On the subject of The Apple, philosophical counterfactual question: if there had been no crippling power drain on the Enterprise from Vaal, would Kirk still have destroyed it? Tried to free the people from its influence some other way? Done nothing at all?Doesn't Stella order Mudd to "come over here" or "get over here" or something along those lines?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, there are very specific tasks that Stella tells Harry she wants him to do that I'm referring to. I think she does order him to come over. But the tasks do refer to his weight. :)That's an interesting question Lee about the Apple. If the Enterprise wasn't in immediate danger, yet was still trapped in orbit, and based on his past efforts on other planets, I think Kirk would still have freed Vaal's people so they no longer were servicing a hunk of tin! I would guess that Ms Fontana would have fits had Vaal been discovered like Landru inside that serpent head and Kirk talked Vaal to death. Maybe he simply would have stopped the Vaalains from feeding Vaal at all. There is an episode of the new Outer Limits I saw a few months ago that I was amused by. It relates to the Apple in a way. It's about a ancient fleet of space ships that patrol space. The main focus is one ship where one human is on board and the sentient computer on the ships have enslaved the humans to be care takers of the ships and maintain them. These humans are of generational lives and when they are required, replacements are ordered. The main ship we see has a young man and one day his ship docks with a second one where a young woman is the caretaker. The computer orders them to meet and then instructs them to make a baby. I didn't expect that and of course it reminds me of The Apple. :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
That article on Kelley's new hair cut is something I was not aware of. Good find Nelson! And the JFK comparison should have made it obvious.

Noticed the sequel to the movie The Purge is out now in theaters - which when I saw the trailer invoked memories of the episode - Return Of The Archons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks