What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (19 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Stan,It's great to see you in this thread. :)

I have one of those "so bad it's good episodes" from TNG. The episode is "Masaka not like Korgano!" (also known as Masks).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
Nice having all those tracts of land Scott!I had been working on a project yesterday on the computer, so I had 5 Voyager episodes going, including Scientific Method. I always liked that one. I'll have a take another look at Threshold. I never had a super negative reaction to that episode. I just went with it.On an entirely different note, I was fascinated with the idea of the F-104 Starfighter jet, or Blue Jay 4 as it was known by its call sign in Tomorrow is Yesterday. I was fascinated with it because it may become another modeling project when I get to building my large scale Enterprise model kit. I found some YouTube videos of the models for the F-104 with one guy replicating Blue Jay 4. :)
The F-104 was probably my favorite plane when I was a kid, growing up on different Air Force bases around the country. Never saw one, only pictures, but they were so cool, as we said back in those days. Also fascinated by the B-58 Hustler, but also only in photos, just a bit before my time.
Grew up around KC-135s and B-52s, my father was a navigator. Still see the KC-135s doing touch & go's around here, The B-52s were transferred out years ago. Once in a while might see a C-17 fly over, but pretty boring unless it's airshow time, then all the latest and greatest show up.Something kind of amazing, but many of the KC-135s flying today are my age (born in 1960). They may have new engines, but I could possibly still be watching the same planes flying overhead that I saw when I was a toddler.

Now back to our regular scheduled Star Trek programming....

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Cool info. and experiences, Stan. Since you were born in 1960, we're nearly the same age. I'm guessing that you remember the sonic booms that we used to hear on a fairly regular basis back in the 1960s. Those were quite amazing to experience. I even recall some of our windows rattling from them when I was a child.

Your discussion of planes / aircraft has me thinking about this episode now. :)

22obr02.jpg

22obr01.jpg

22obr13.jpg

And in an odd way, of this one as well. ;)

017obr01.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Scott, never experienced a sonic boom, or if I did was to young to realize what it was.

Plenty of rattling windows and dishes from helicopters and the older style jet engines. I recognize the third photo from the top you posted, but it's one of those "just on the tip of your tongue" moments, I know I know it, but can't quite figure out why I know it.

Like, you know? :) (spoken sarcastically with my California teen-age girl speak)

I'll shut up now, otherwise I'll be banned by the mods, accused of hijacking a thread.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Stan,Those first three images are from a first season episode of TOS (Tomorrow Is Yesterday). And I would not be concerned about hijacking this thread. The 'trivia' component is only part of what this thread has evolved into, which in my opinion is a good thing because so many things are posted here (both trivia-related and otherwise) that are quite interesting to me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Funny Scott, I was just thinking of playing The 37's after I see Threshold. :)I had to look up what the B-58 was, and when I saw it, it reminded me of a model kit I saw as a kid of that plane. Cool. I forgotten what the KC-135 referred to, but when I saw that, I knew what it is. I'm not super plane buff, but always liked them. The SR-71 is another plane I like in my pile of model kits to build plus the P-51 Mustang and there is a new kit of that plane that's supposed to be very nice.And I think I'll add Tomorrow is Yesterday to the list of episodes to watch next. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Both the VOY and TOS episodes are good choices. And the former episode has the virtue of showing us the first 'blue alert.'

Here is my all-time favorite aircraft from the 1960s:

D7_battlecruiser,_profile.jpg

D7_battlecruiser.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Nelson,

Both the VOY and TOS episodes are good choices. And the former episode has the virtue of showing us the first 'blue alert.'

Here is my all-time favorite aircraft from the 1960s:

D7_battlecruiser,_profile.jpg

D7_battlecruiser.jpg
Can't help myself, it has to be said.

The second photo, from the front, is like a Rorschach test. I see a little baby puking, now forever burned into my mind.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I know this probably belongs in the music thread, but I wanted to toss this out here.I have been listening to the third CD in the TOS Soundtrack album. This has Steiner's Charlie X, Mudd's Women, Corbomite Maneuver and the Romulan Themes use on Balance of Terror. I noticed something a miss. When you watch Corbomite Maneuver and when the Fresarius first appears, you hear a short bit of what sounds like a harp, then the track called Fresarius begins. I don't hear the harp part on the soundtrack set. Maybe it's there, I just haven't heard it yet?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,What is the disc and track no. of the Soundtrack Collection for the cut you're referring to when you first see the Fesarius? Thanks.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, disc 3 track 33. I don't hear what you hear in the actual episode. The closest I can describe the sound is when Spock is tuning his harp in the Rec Room right before he plays for Uhura as she sings to Charlie in Charlie X.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking out loud. I find that some episodes are a bit like The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Where an alien life-form or other takes control of the minds.

This Side of Paradise. Spores take control of the minds and turns everyone into mellow happy.

Operation Annihilate! some kinder of creature attaches itself to body and tries to take control to make its host build a ship. "We're looking for some kind of creature".

"Khan put creatures in our bodies to control our minds."

Good news is a cure is found at the end. The Invasion had happier ending over the other downbeat endings of the previous films where the alien creature won.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nelson, I haven't been able to listen to both yet, but since Charlie X was scored first, they may well have added the harp sound from there to the Corbomite track in post-production. There are several examples of cues that were combined and thus not found on the disc collection exactly as heard on air.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Need to skip some lost in space music to where Spock gets groovy. Its a mellow Enterprise. :P

"Ohh that's now that's real now"

Vulcan approves of the JBL speakers. :P

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Scott, disc 3 track 33. I don't hear what you hear in the actual episode.The closest I can describe the sound is when Spock is tuning his harp in the Rec Room right before he plays for Uhura as she sings to Charlie in Charlie X.
Thanks Nelson. I'll have a listen to this from work tomorrow. Much appreciated.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee, disc 5 "Weird Guitar" is the piece! And Andy's link to the video is additional proof! Amazing how two seconds of music attached to the front of the Fresarius music added so much! That little cue added so much to the scene.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,Another neat thing about that scene in Charlie X is that the introductory vocals (Uhura's warm-up, if you will) are also heard in The Man Trap, sung by Nancy when she is first approaching Kirk and Bones. As far as we were able to determine, that snippet is not included on the TOS Soundtrack Collection (nor should it be, given what its purpose is in both episodes). We've mentioned this before if you recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks