What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (8 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The first DS9 to go to the Mirror universe is called Crossover. So I'll revisit that one first. One of the things that I wasn't as enamored by with the DS9 and Enterprise Mirror episodes is the characters counterparts are played so overly angry or vicious. Such as Dr. Bashir or Tripp. I thought O'Brian's counterpart was pretty good, Smiley. The TOS counterparts were evil versions of course, but they were played much more subtly and not so over the top. So they seemed more natural. So Lee, there is another phaser example that's open to interpretation? I rather liked The Cage example! :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Of the remaining three, one is crystal clear, one is not seen but described, and one is open to interpretation through dialogue.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure this isn't one of the remaining three, but I thought I'd put it out there. "General Order 24 in 2 hours!" Scotty has the computers and phasers all set to blast Eminiar. But they manage to avert it. So I didn't think this one counted.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Let's see if they have the belly for it!"I plan to watch Friday's Child after having read the chapter on it. So while we don't see the Enterprise firing phasers, IIRC, they go right through the Klingon ship back to Capella. It's not clear if they engage in battle or not. I always thought it was a game of chicken and the Klingon's got out of the way. I suppose Scotty could have given them a blast of phaser fire.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Right! I included that one because I feel it is purely a question of viewer interpretation. We really can't know whether any shots were fired. (My personal interpretation matches yours, but I wanted to be complete.)One left. We don't see it, but unlike in this instance, we know for certain that it happened.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Right. That was when I had not crossed out one you already named. I corrected the error and now there is just one left. Sorry.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Greenhorn running my ship!"The Deadly Years sees the incompetent Commodore Stocker take control of the Enterprise from the aging command crew and right into Romulan space.The Enterprise comes under attack. But I don't think Stocker ever gives the command to arm phasers. So it must be another one.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Right, Stocker doesn't even bother. Would it help to know that the remaining example does not involve another vessel?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I already named Who Mourns for Adonais, then I thought of other none vessels. I'll bet you credits to navy beams that Mr. DeSalle didn't use phasers on the force field that Sylvia put up. So it must be another. No clues yet, so I'll keep pondering.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
You win your navy beans because I forgot that they used non-weapon means to combat the forcefield in Catspaw. So sorry to have strung you along under false pretenses!You got them all. I will post a finished list of the episodes a little later.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
For posterity--all the episodes in which the Enterprise uses its weapons (The last one named is the uncertain case we discussed.):The CageThe Corbomite ManeuverBalance of TerrorArenaThe Alternative FactorErrand of MercyWho Mourns for Adonais?The Doomsday MachineThe ChangelingThe AppleJourney to BabelObsessionA Piece of the ActionPatterns of ForceThe Ultimate ComputerElaan of TroyiusThe Paradise SyndromeThe Tholian WebFor the World is Hollow...Day of the DoveWhom Gods DestroyThe Lights of Zetar*Friday's Child*So it's just over one in four episodes. I suppose that seems about right. I wonder if the Star Trek critics who see the Kirk character as excessively belligerent would be surprised by the numbers or vindicated by them. In any case, excellent work from Nelson with a good beginning from Scott. Sorry again about my false positive at the end.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee, that's quite a list. I'd say in fairness, a few of those times the weapons were fired under someone else's orders. I'll ponder a question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks