What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (8 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The top of your head is correct! It all happens in The Cloudminders. I am pretty sure that there are no other episodes for which all the conditions apply.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha, I just noticed the spell check changed the spelling of Plasus. I'm kind of surprised those conditions don't exist in another episode! Not even The Enemy Within? Or The Savage Curtain?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No, the last scenes of both episodes take place on the Enterprise. And Mr. Sulu appears in both episodes. (They both appear in The Savage Curtain.) But you're right that both episodes satisfy the first three conditions. I thought someone might guess The Savage Curtain.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
So it had been a while and all the discussion got me thinking about it, so I watched The Cloud Minders. Turns out, I was a little overzealous in my conditions. There is a brief stock footage shot in which we can see the back of George Takei's head. Nelson still wins, but just wanted the record to be accurate.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was scanning over the Batman thread after the big news that it's finally coming out on DVD and found a YouTube link of a behind the scenes featurette from the period. There were suggestions for other videos after it was over and one was Yvonne Craig on the Dating Game! That was a 1967 segment right at her Batman period and before her Star Trek appearance of course. I thought it was fun to see, I know you guys are Batman fans. http://youtu.be/2pDrONuqiVwIt will be interesting to see what the home video release formats will be when Batman comes out. It seems DVD is for sure. But people seem to think a blu ray is going to be a natural too. And you would think that too. I somehow am dubious it will be both. It would be great to see a dual format release. I am not a super big fan of the series, but this news is a pretty big deal! And I'll likely get the set.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a question yet, but the Batman thing above had me thinking, didn't Lee or Scott already ask a question of who guest starred on Batman then do Star Trek?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It always boggles my mind that actual famous people would occasionally go on The Dating Game. Poor Yvonne Craig. Seems like a weekend on Elba II would be more fun than a trip with any of those three. Have you ever seen clips of Richard Dawson as one of the bachelors on the show? It's funny to watch because he is so effortlessly good at it and you can tell the other two guys realize they have no chance.

Of course I am thrilled that Batman is coming out on home video at all, and DVD would be great. I would like them in blu ray ideally, but I'll take what I can get. I am cautiously optimistic that we will get a blu ray choice because a) it is already clear that they are thinking very carefully about marketing the series and that indicates to me that they see it as potentially very lucrative and b) it's surprisingly coming from Warner Brothers instead of Fox and Warner seems to think blu ray is more worthwhile for television series than Fox does, based on their releases of new shows. Also, they are doing new scans of the 35mm masters, so they might as well go for it all at once.

Yes, we did the Batman to Star Trek guest list in the fall of 2012:

Posted October 09 2012 - 08:43 AM
Our complete list of Star Trek/Batman actors follows. I thought of two others as I was compiling it, but no need to extend the question at this point. I starred the new entries:
Jon Lormer
Meg Wyllie
Lloyd Haynes
Grace Lee Whitney
Roger C. Carmel
Gene Dynarski (*)
Lawrence Montaigne
Ted Cassidy
Sherry Jackson
Marianna Hill
Elisha Cook, Jr.
Malachi Throne
Joan Collins
Theo Marcuse
Julie Newmar
Leslie Parrish
Rhae Andrece
Alyce Andrece
Michael Pataki
Stanley Adams
Nancy Kovack
Angelique Pettyjohn
Roy Jenson (*)
Teri Garr
Lee Meriwether
Frank Gorshin
Yvonne Craig

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Maybe the Dating Game was like The Bachelor is today? It might have been a very popular show. I saw a clip of Tom Selleck on it before he hit it big, it was about the same time, the late 60's. I haven't seen the Richard Dawson one. I can imagine he'd be very smooth seeing how he was on Family Feud. Must have been during the Hogan's Heroes days?That's quite a list of actors on Batman! I hadn't realized the Warner's connection with this new Batman set. What I thought it might mean is that it's a Time Warner exclusive. But that Warner's is more inclined to do blu-rays is a very good sign. I recently was able to pick up two seasons of The Big Bang Theory at Costco that are dual format. But I haven't been able to find more seasons that way. That led me to think it might have either been a failed experiment, or it was exclusive to one vendor like Target or something. Too bad, because I like the dual format idea. It gets expensive and obsessive for me because I like having Star Trek TOS on both formats, plus the earlier editions on DVD. But then I only do that for Star Trek. :) But some films I do that for too, have both formats.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think The Dating Game was a big daytime hit. The nighttime edition did OK for a while opposite a hard worker called, oh, Star something... But it isn't the show's popularity that makes me amazed at TV stars doing it; it's the idea that a TV star would a) admit that he or she needed Jim Lange to get a date or b) agree to actually go with whomever was selected. The Bachelor is popular, but I would be surprised to see Mindy Kaling show up as a contestant.Time Life is actually no longer affiliated with Time Warner; they sold it off years ago but they let them keep using the logo. I'd be VERY optimistic about the set if it were going to be licensed to Time Life, but no such luck. I always assumed that Fox would end up releasing it because they owned the show, but I guess the lawyers worked it out the other way. I see what you're saying about dual format now--you meant both in one set. Might be expensive with 120 episodes, but they could do that. I hope we get more details soon.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, sorry I wasn't clear about dual formats. Yes, what's nice is a lot of movies, including Criterion's Mad World, and major releases have the blu-ray and DVD and a download in one package.Regarding the Dating Game, perhaps some of these actors appear because they see it as a way to get more exposure? And more acting gigs. In the case of Ms Craig, they did promote her as Batgirl. So it could have been promotion for the series? As for actually going on the date, I heard Jim Lange or the announcer say it's chaperoned. I got the impression for the case of Ms Craig, it was all part of the job. All just guesses on my part.Yeah, it will be interesting to see the details for the Batman set.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'm sure you're right. The Dating Game was on ABC so there was clearly some corporate synergy going on there. And at least Ms. Craig seemed genuinely pleased at the destination of the trip. They were always theoretically chaperoned because the dates were several days long and they at least had to make overtures of propriety for TV. I always thought that being the Dating Game chaperone was the worst job ever. Either the couple doesn't like each other and you are in the middle of an awkward, dreadful weekend or they do like each other and consequently they hate you for being there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was curious and looked up Ms Craig, she had a modest film career from the late 1950's and moved to TV when film roles were declining in the mid 1960's. She was married for a brief period in 1960 to 1962. It doesn't appear her date led to marriage. So I can see perhaps her Dating Game experience was part of a career boosting effort, as well as part of her Batgirl job.And I found this interesting picture:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 28

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
That's a great picture. I wonder what the event was. She dated a few famous guys in the '60s. I think she got married later, though not to any of her famous partners. Since you mention it, though, I'm curious how many Dating Game dates led to marriage. I suspect most of them didn't even lead to lunch...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,I too like that picture. Hey Lee, we may need to create a trivia thread for "The Dating Game." ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's an interesting picture for sure. All three of them were at the height of their 1960's fame! There is a Outer Limits thread wishing for the blu ray release of the series. It inspired me to listen to the soundtrack a few times in the car the last few days. I always liked the tracks for Controlled Experiment a lot. I just saw the episode this morning and now that I know the music much better, it's interesting to hear how it was edited into the episode. Sometimes cut short, sometimes sped up a little, etc. pretty cool. Plus how other tracks were tracked into the episode. Always great to see that episode with Grace, and to see Barry Morse and Carroll O'Conner act like those mice in the Chuck Jones Looney Tunes cartoons. Hubie and Bertie? I'm still pondering a question, had a lot of stuff going on this week, so my trivia powers are weakened. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson and Lee,Sorry if you've posted about this already and I missed it. Have either of you read any of the Star Trek: Titan series? If so, did you enjoy it?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No, I haven't read any of those books yet. Have you started them?I know a lot of Outer Limits fans aren't enamored of Controlled Experiment, but I like it a lot. It's a great change of pace for the show and I think it's a well-made one. There isn't a lot of really funny science fiction in movies and television (parodies aside), so it's fun to see stuff like Controlled Experiment. And the two guys are so wonderfully understated.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,

No, I have not. I was searching for various Trek-related items today and saw them. It piqued my curiosity. Maybe I will check them out. And I too like Controlled Experiment a lot, but that's probably not a surprise given my appreciation for all things TOL.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have not read the Titan series either. Is it the adventures of Captain Riker? Re: Controlled Experiment... Put it back the way it was! Agreed you guys, this is a really terrific episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks