What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (2 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Like Nelson, I watched TAS during its original run. I recall an evening during the original run of TOS when I watched an episode with my father. I distinctly remember [gasp!] not liking it. I am certain it was because I had no idea what it was I was watching. By 1969 however, I remember liking a couple of the episodes I saw at that time. And by the early 1970s, I was faithfully watching the series in reruns as often as I watched Dark Shadows. I'm off soon to watch That Which Survives. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Gasp indeed!!No, I understand the feeling. I did always like Star Trek, but there are several other favorites that just didn't connect with me when I was a child. Was your father a fan, or just happened to tune in the show that one night?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I see what you mean Lee about perceptions of the series back in the late 1960's by the original viewers and fans vs what people do today when they analyze a series on-line.My perception is that back in the day, TV was still kinda new and there wasn't as serious a need to analyze episodes a week. But I could be wrong. I imagine there was the Friday morning water cooler talk about it. Perhaps small groups of fans gathered at one person's house to watch each week. The other thought I had, based on reading Cushman's book, the series had a strong fan base right away. Perhaps there was communications via mail between friends, or phone calls. But the more I think about it, friends gathered to watch at one house. I did that the night TNG premiered. This conversation has made me think of the book Star Trek Lives! By Jacqueline Lichtenberg, Sondra Marshak and Joan Winston. I pulled it out of the shelf and I may have another look at it. I suspect there's some answers in there on this topic. I bet you have a copy Lee.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I do have a copy and that's a great idea. I will check it out again when I get home.Doesn't he try to do something to the rocket controls and then drop the servo?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't think he dropped the servo. But Scott's comment above is making me wonder if what I'm thinking happened or not!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,I don't think my father was particularly a fan of the series. He just happened to tune in at the time. But he did love Mission: Impossible and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. He also watched It Takes A Thief, The Avengers, and The Name Of the Game quite a lot back in the day. I watched these off and on as well, along with The Saint.

Nelson,I do recall Gary Seven doing something with his servo relative to the rocket. But there is another instance of zapping in the episode that is clearly seen and which has yet to be mentioned.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was pretty sure I remember Seven zapping something on the rocket, but I think I'll have to watch it again to remind myself. I think I know what the other zap unmentioned is. But I'll make sure to look for it.By the way, because I had listened to the earlier GNP Crescendo release of The Doomsday Machine and Amok Time quite a lot, I hadn't listened to the new TOS Soundtrack release of those two other then once on that disc in the set. I just listened to it on my way to and from work. It was pretty neat to not only hear again, but surprised by the unused tracks that I don't think are in the GNP release. I guess GNP didn't include it because it wasn't used in the episode.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Your father had excellent taste, Scott (unsurprisingly), I have all those shows on DVD and revisit them often.I haven't calculated it in any real way, but my impression from listening is that Gerald Fried had more unused cues than the other composers, making his episode scores extra surprising and fun on the set.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I'll be listening to more Gerald Fried this weekend. Plus I've gotten really curious about Frank Sinatra and seeking out his CDs. I only mention it because I think you mentioned you had a fancy for the old American Standards. Perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way, but I'm trying to find the best mastered CDs verses just buying what is available. I still have more seasons of Mission Impossible to collect this year, plus the later half of Hawaii Five-0 and Mr. Robert Wagner's Thief to grab. It seems the Avengers is very hard to collect now and is out of print? I only have one season of The Saint, in color too. I found them kind of hard to get into. I mainly remember the Volvo! I'm reading Roger Moore's memoir. Well, I got up to the Bond years and stopped to read the Cushman book. His recollections are interesting, but I found Wagner's book a more engaging read. I'm still on the fence about UNCLE.I'm half wary through Assignment Earth and will finish it at lunchtime. I found many more good trivia questions to throw out from that episode if you guys are all pooped out of questions to pose. Perhaps poop was the wrong word, but I meant it to mean worn out.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think they just put out a new printing of the Diana Rigg Avengers episodes at a low price. Roger Moore's book did lack some of the twists of Wagner's, but I think part of it is that Wagner may just have had a more exciting life. (I went to a book signing of Wagner's memoir. He was very charming and seemed amused by it, but there were some VERY devoted female Robert Wagner fans there.)Enjoy your Sinatra foray. So much richness there, and you will surely find your own favorites. I do think the 16 Capitol albums are an exceptional achievement. But there's great stuff among the singles and in the earlier and later eras, too.The New York Times finally published their Sarah Marshall obituary and I learned that she was married to Karl Held for nearly 50 years, beginning shortly before Star Trek. Were there any other married pairs of guest stars? I know Barbara Baldavin was married to the casting director and Majel Barrett was involved with Roddenberry, but I can't think of any guest stars married to other guest stars.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn't know that about Karl Held. What amazes me is he was in Space: 1999 in an episode called Immunity Syndrome. That's an interesting idea for a question, married actors who appeared in Star Trek. I suppose William Shatner and Marci Lafferty don't count as that's the motion picture. Thanks for the info on Avengers, I suppose the Honor Blackman episodes won't be out as Diana Rigg was much more popular. I do have my eye on the Capitol years. One forum suggested the box set from EMI as those have very little digital tinkering, but they go for the hundreds on eBay. I was going to collect the albums one at a time. I agree the work before and after are great. I definitely believe the ladies still like Wagner! Okay, I count 8 separate occasions that Seven used the servo. One I missed and one I forgot about. 1. Seven zaps brig door- Scott2. Seven zaps security guard, or who I call the Big red blooded American quarterback.- Lee3. Zaps mr. Leslie and the other guard in the transporter room.- Scott4. Zaps office door to lock Roberta in.- Scott5. Zaps Sgt. Lipton.- Lee6. Zaps rocket- ill give it to you Lee since you mentioned the rocket, he opens a panel to pull on wires. Two more.Scott, I might have to watch That Which Survives now that you mentioned it!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Since I do have a question in reserve, let me submit an image question to keep the thread moving somewhat. :)

Name the episode of TOS from which this image is taken:

08obr47.jpg

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I have no idea whom to award the winner since neither of you have named it, yet both of you got it. LOL! I'll let you two decide who wins this round. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Still can't think of those last two servo uses. Any hints?I did mean Charlie X, so I'll take that victory. Let me think of a new one.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
One occurrence is at the rocket base involving a car. The other is back at Seven's apartment involving Roberta's attempt to escape.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
He uses it to lock the door, right?Meanwhile, can you name the single episode in which...1) Dr. McCoy does not leave the ship2) At least four regular characters appear in the transporter room3) Captain Kirk is physically attacked at least twice and by different people4) Neither Mr. Sulu nor Mr. Chekov appears5) The closing scene of the show does not take place aboard the Enterprise

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Lee, Seven unlocks the trunk to Cromwell's car, it's sort of offscreen. But you see him take out the servo as he's looking at the trunk of the car.Just an off the top of my head guess on your question: The Cloud Minders? That one might be because at one point, we see Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty in the transporter room I think.Then Kirk is attacked after he and Spock transport to the surface of Ardana by the Troglytes. Then of course Places attacks Kirk on the mines. But then Vanna attacks Kirk, sort of as Kirk is sleeping on Cloud City.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks