What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Whom Gods Destroy does indeed not have the fanfare and uses the same theme used at the start of Metamorphosis.The Cloudminders is using that other theme for sure. And Spock's Brain has no fanfare. Very good Doctor! There's two more left in the third season. And several from the second and two from the first season.This is interesting and I've learned something too. The fanfare is used for Enterprise shots, not so much for the start of an episode. So it follows in an episode like Tomorrow is Yesterday where it doesn't start with a shot of the ship, then other music is used. I kinda figured this might be the case, but it seemed like it was for the start of episodes. So within an episode, the fanfare is heard during fly-bys.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Not asking for a point, but yes, Metamorphosis would be another answer. (Or did Scott already name that one?)Yes, the fanfare opens most episodes because establishing shots of the Enterprise open most episodes. That's why your question is so tricky. We have to recall the episodes that don't open on an Enterprise shot as well as the rare exceptions where the fanfare does not accompany an Enterprise shot.Balance of Terror?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oops! I gave that one away! Metamorphosis is one! I thought Scott named it too.Unfortunately, Balance of Terror has a slower version of the fanfare played with what I am guessing as a saxophone. Yes, the harder ones are the episodes that don't use the fanfare when the establishing shoot of the ship starts the episode. I learned that when I was checking them! :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No one has to tell an old Aberdeen trivia player how to answer questions!Does The Ultimate Computer start with that percussive theme?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The answer is beaming aboard now! Correct, that was an unusual use for that piece of music. I guess it adds to the sense of mystery.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson and Lee,

No, I did not mention Metamorphosis (just for the record). :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
And I thought I had a brother. Well, Day of the Dove has that other theme. So yes, I had not included it on my list, so that counts.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Guys,Last night I watched an episode of The Invaders. It was the first time I had ever seen this episode ("Wall Of Crystal," which aired May 2, 1967). To my surprise and delight, whom did I see in the opening clip but Rizzo (TOS) and Julie Barnes (The Mod Squad). I had no idea that Jerry Ayres and Peggy Lipton were ever in The Invaders. That was quite unexpected! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's cool Scott. As I learn more about the guest actors and actresses that were on TOS in small or minor roles, it's interesting to learn that many had short careers that lasted the decade. Some like Jerry seemed to get a 25 year run. Other actors and actresses who were better known of course had very long careers as character actors appearing on many series like James Gregory and William Windom. Others like actresses went on to long careers on daytime soaps. I finally read the chapter on Return of the Archons. I think the bigger surprises was that Landru was initially described as a robot, but the big one was Justman having reservations about Kirk talking Landru to commit suicide! I liked his sarcastic way of putting it. But he felt it didn't fit the episode. Of course that became one of Kirk's signature talents. The other item that I didn't realize was that it required, at that time of production, the largest number of extras ever needed and that was a costly one too. The description of the mayhem as it was originally planned certainly sounded much more intense and certainly beyond what the sensors would allow. I think Joseph Pevney handled it well with the use of shadows to show some of the action. One thing though that is never clear to me and maybe I need to revisit the episode is why do they have the Red Hour! It is the will of the Body. if it had a clearer point, then the Festival might have had a stronger impact.And I hadn't realized that Shatner adlibbed the line, Isn't that a bit old fashioned? It's always amusing how Cushman will describe the time of day filming ends and whether or not the cast and crew can get home I time to see the new Star Trek episode air!I'm looking forward to Space Seed and A Taste of Armegeddon next. I'm running out of episodes!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Why be you not at the festival? You are not excused. ;)

"One thing though that is never clear to me and maybe I need to revisit the episode is why do they have the Red Hour! It is the will of the Body. if it had a clearer point, then the Festival might have had a stronger impact."If you come across any information on the Red Hour in Cushman, please do post it. I've had a few theories over the years as to why it was required on Beta 3, but of course that's just speculation on my part.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
We're from the Valley! I'll see if I can learn more from the Cushman book Scott, I was kind of sleepy when I read it. Apparently there is some dialogue missing from the DVD releases about the Red Hour being a yearly thing as well as a line from Scotty about the ship burning up.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
We're from the Valley!I'll see if I can learn more from the Cushman book Scott, I was kind of sleepy when I read it. Apparently there is some dialogue missing from the DVD releases about the Red Hour being a yearly thing as well as a line from Scotty about the ship burning up.
Nelson,Well, there goes one of my theories. I assumed that the Red Hour occurred once per day!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Did Cushman really say that the line about Festival occurring once a year had been edited from the DVDs? I knew that had been in some script draft but never thought it aired.I think we discussed the underlying need for Festival once before here. My own theory is that human(oid)s have this untamed darker side to their natures and if those elements are completely suppressed at all times to the extent they must be on Beta III, then Landru realizes there must be some outlet for them; hence, Festival. (As to frequency, I don't think it really matters to us to know. It is rare enough that people come from other places for it, but beyond that, I like the mysteriousness of it.)It's so interesting to me to learn where in the process some ideas came because it often contradicts my preconceptions about what sparked a story idea. In this case, I was very surprised that Landru as a computer came somewhere in the middle of the rewriting. It seems so much that that would be in the one-line synopsis.Nelson, how many episodes are left in the question? I lost track!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, if my count is correct, then there are 6 episodes left, 2 from each season, coincidentally.In my enthusiasm to post above, Lee, I incorrectly said that the Cushman book said those words of dialogue were missing from the DVD. I actually saw that in the Memory Alpha entry as I was referring to it this morning after reading the Cushman chapter. The line, "burn up" spoken by Scotty is not heard! I'll have to double check the blu rays. The full line is something like: The Enterprise will burn up, one way or the other. The entry implies it is not heard, but not edited out. And the clock chime is apparently different from the earlier video cassette version, where Scotty's line is also heard.And Reger's line about Festival being over for another year was from Memory Alpha quoting from the James Blish novelization. No doubt it was in the script. That explanation for Festival makes sense and I imagined that might be the case. And it is the will of Landru. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Psychologically, the need for Festival seems related to the views espoused in The Enemy Within: we all have that stuff and it will come out one way or the other depending on how we control and acknowledge it.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Oh, the Blish adaptation makes sense. I can easily believe that line made it as far as the version he saw. Regarding the Cushman chapter, isn't it interesting where Roddenberry wanted story or teleplay credit and where he didn't? He was angry that Boris Sobelman tried to take full credit for Archons and he insisted in story credit for his one sentence summary of Charlie X, but he did not pursue credit for his extensive rewrites of The Man Trap and Shore Leave, among others. He did seem to have given the science fiction "names" an advantage in credit, even if he didn't spare them heavy rewrites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    NHCondon
    Recent bookmarks