What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Enterprise Incident?Most of Kevin's criticisms are very legitimate, but I feel like he is undervaluing the new and unique information in the Cushman book. Also, Cushman clearly uses a lot of "tease" techniques to sell the books in interviews, but the book itself doesn't reflect all of the exaggeration he uses elsewhere.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Lee, I can read and your evaluation does not tally with mine. :)Sorry, could not resist. Not The Enterprise Incident, I just double checked. It's arranged differently, but the fanfare is there. I agree that Cushman has been doing a great job at teasing the contents of the book!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Keep on your toes Lee! Correct for The Devil in the Dark.This base sent no trivia. I totally missed The Menagerie. It was one of those tracks that I was thinking that confuses me because I can't quite make it out. It has a strong theme and then I realized, it's Fred Steiner's "Kirks Command." Its one of my favorite themes that he did, I especially like its use in Tomorrow is Yesterday. In this use, it's slightly truncated which could be why I had trouble recognizing it. I'm afraid The Menagerie Pt 2 does have the fanfare, but you still get two points.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
We believe you at present! Mirror Mirror is correct.Unfortunately the fanfare is present in the past New York and with the Tholians.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Justman dictum was that whenever they show the Enterprise, they play the fanfare in some way. So part of this is of course recalling the episodes that don't begin with a shot of the ship, but the other part is remembering when they violated the rule.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes! The score that Gene Roddenberry was so disappointed by after Courage's work on the pilots. While I'm pretty sure there is no fanfare at all in the score, there's a tiny hint of something that sort of sounds like it. But it definitely has more a theme for Nancy. Scored another one Lee! I'm really curious to read the Archons chapter next in the Cushman book, but I really needed to get some sleep last night.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, was there really a Justman rule that when they show the Enterprise, they play a version of the fanfare? That makes sense!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Tomorrow is Yesterday.Yes, it really was a Justman rule, and since he supervised both film editing and music, it was generally easy for him to maintain the rule.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes! This episode starts off at the Air Force base so there's no fanfare music until the very end of the teaser where we do see the Enterprise struggling in the atmosphere.I remember now reading how Justman spent so much time in the editing of episodes.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Justman thing reminds me of a number of episodes after he left that used that later theme. Requiem for Methuselah is definitely one. How about The Cloudminders and Whom Gods Destroy also?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I have Requiem in my list. I also have Gods and Cloudminders, but those two I had question marks on. I'm going to go with those though. So that's three more. Yes, I was wondering if Justman's departure would affect those musical choices. They did obviously.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Since you already awarded the points and had question marks, I listened to the beginnings of those three. They are all essentially the same.I didn't listen to Spock's Brain, but I'm pretty positive that one is different.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I do not know Luma! I do not have Spock's Brain on my list. But I'll give it and the others a listen when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks