What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (7 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"I believe I shall. Assist me!" :). Correct! I also always wonder what those cubes are. Colored marshmallows or croutons. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nurse Chapel's weirdly psychic ice cream selection.Have you read Nick Meyer's story about the colored cubes in ST VI?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Well, would you like a surprise, Lee? ". Chocolate wobble and pistachio?Correct!Lee, I'm not familiar with the Nic Meyer story of colored cubes. Is that in his Star Trek movies book? I have not read that book yet.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mr. Kyle's similarly prescient chicken soup disk in Tomorrow is Yesterday.He alludes to it in his book, but doesn't tell the whole story there. The food in the dinner scene was squid with blue dye--not appetizing to begin with and less so as shooting wore on. In order to encourage the actors to eat the food rather than find bits of business to avoid it, Meyer semi-jokingly offered $10 for each take in which an actor actually ate the blue squid on camera. As soon as he offered it, William Shatner asked if they were talking about actual cash. Hearing that they were, Shatner announced that he could eat anything for $10 a bite and could be seen eating in every take for the rest of the afternoon.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"It is!" correct!I have heard that story about the $10 per bite. You mentioned blue cubes, so I was wondering what that meant. I think that story was in an audio commentary or other feature on the disc? That's great and just shows his competitive nature!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
And of course, there is some concern about people NOT eating in Amok Time, The Paradise Syndrome, and Obsession.I think you're right about the DVD. Shatner also tells the story in one of his memoirs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that plomeek soup really stains the walls! And Miss Chapel has to make sure everyone is eating!That crazy Vulcan sure is difficult to get to eat his food! :)Three more for Lee!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On a side note, thought I'd relate something. I've been recently making digital copies of TOS for audio only playback in the car. The did this before and only did about half the series. So I finally redid the effort and now am enjoying the whole series in the car! I listened to Return if the Archons and A Taste of Armegeddon. Plus Started Fridays Child today. I found Archons much more interesting without the visuals. I think I never could get around the old Victorian costumes worn and the Earth-like city. So it wasnt high on my revisit list. While I always understood the basic allegory, this made it much stronger for me! I never disliked the episode, I thought it was terrific. ( And look forward to reading the Cushman entry) Of course I've seen Armegeddon many times and that one is a good one! It's amazing while listening, you can hear dialogue that i'd otherwise might miss. Like when Grant gets killed, I hear, "Don't move a muscle!" At any rate, Star Trek can be a very good radio show.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Nelson, this message board does not contain gold, platinum, or silver. Nor is it likely to in the near future. It does, however, now contain my trivia answer of bologna on a hard roll and assorted vegetables from The City on the Edge of Forever.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Very interesting. The Cage feels like such a strong message against immersive media before there was such a thing. Part of the glorification of "timeless" art is to ground the science fiction environment in a way to make it more accessible to a current audience. But I think the author is correct in identifying a value judgment on, if not the age of the work, the nature of the artistic medium. I don't know that I agree that it is simply borne of intellectual conservatism, but the value judgment does seem to be present.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh oh, time to pay for the trivia!I didn't think of that example Lee. Good one! Scott, I'll be reading that article on immersive media this evening. Thanks for that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Eating is a pleasure, sir. Unfortunately, one you will never know. "Well, originally the question wasn't going to include that Korby example, but that beef stew looked pretty good! And it does concern the crew. Scott, I read that article on immersive media. I'm not sure his argument of intellectual conservatism works for me. As a piece of art, if you will accept that definition for a piece of work like Star Trek, I think they made a choice to use an example of classical music because as Lee pointed out so well, it's a way to give the audience something to identify with. What's also funny is that I think the author mistook the generation that created TOS is also the same people responsible for those TNG episodes. When they were not, they were the next generation literary! :). It was an interesting idea. As Mudd said, full of big words too, I'll have to read it again to make sure I got it..

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Ok, I'll stay aboard ship. Lt. Riley unwisely pushes away his dinner and opts for just some milk in The Conscience of the King.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Guys,I watched Balance Of Terror last night with my eldest daughter. Near the end, as Kirk is trying to console Angela, my daughter remarks on what she is hearing and says "I love this music." It was one of the iterations of "Monster Illusion" (the more subdued version that we often hear throughout the series).

I had forgotten that this version occurs at that particular moment in the episode. My general impression had been that this music is often reserved for less melancholy or sad moments, so it was a bit surprising for me to hear it at this juncture of Balance Of Terror. I certainly didn't expect it at that point.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, the music in the chapel, that's a great find. I hadn't realized that piece was from Monster Illusion because its so subtly used in Balance of Terror. I can hear it now in my mind. As that is an alternate take, I'll look for that track!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks