What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (5 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Neil S Bulk visits this thread, but it would be interesting if he had found a list of the actual instruments used for each track while he was editing the Soundtrack set. Perhaps this ought to be discussed in the Star Trek music thread?A-ha, so the contextual hint was referring to McCoy's anger? Again, I thought it referred to Charlie because he got angry at Sam and others that prompted him to make people go away.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Guys,

The textual hint was this. Since you two never get angry on this Board, one might say you both are ... nomads. ;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Answer unknown, I shall analyze. :)I am surprised I have been so fascinated with Charlie X this week. There are so many layers to the episode I am finding. Today, I kept noticing and it was very clear to me before, but Charlie just had to have everyone like him. It seemed so clear to me today. He asked McCoy if he liked him. He was really looking up to Kirk, and Kirk leaves him with Spock to play chess and Charlie wasn't happy about that. He wanted everyone to like him as he wondered the corridors. And if they didn't, zap, you're gone! Of course Janice had to really fight him off. The music has been an eye opener as we discussed. I read the Cushman entry for Balance of Terror. That wasn't as revelatory. It was very interesting though to read about Laurence Montaigne's experience. Why he took the lesser role to work with Mark Lenard. And his confusion given the show had not aired yet and what a Romulan was! It was amusing to read Justman's panic too at the cost, but cool how they felt the extra time for the optical effects and the strength of the story made it worth it. It's nice that Robertson agreed it was a good story and how it showcased and dealt with each commander's feelings and thoughts. I don't think the cloaking device was mentioned as part of the story development unless I closed my eyes and missed it. The business of making the phasers as depth charges now makes sense because of the way they were being sort of scatter shot. And it's funny how Robertson kept pushing for planet stories and to get the action off the Enterprise. So that led to the earth observation posts at the Neutral Zone for this episode. I always thought of Run Silent Run Deep, but not The Enemy Below as the inspiration for the episode. I'll have to see if I can find that. What was also interesting to me was the use of another optical house that produced better results. You can see it on the screen. And I was thinking its kind of a shame they were replaced by CGI. But I know we can still see the original effects.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
As I think I mentioned when I first read the book, the main point of interest for me in the coverage of Balance of Terror was Roddenberry's rewrite of the Kirk/McCoy scene that we all recently praised. It was so clear from reading the book that Roddenberry had an ongoing interest in bringing each story back to the main characters and its effect on them.I had been aware of the problems with the initial optical effects company and the decision to diversify to four companies, but I hadn't realized that by the end of the first year, they had started giving most of the more difficult optical work to one company again.OK, new trivia question:In which episodes is Mr. Scott mentioned without being seen or heard?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah. And Cushman talks about how Paul Schneider's original take in that scene was too on the head and Roddenberry rewrote it to how it is now which to me is much more lyrical and romantic for a lack of a better word. The unseen Scotty. That will take some thinking.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,I think one of the episodes in which Scotty is mentioned but neither seen nor heard is Journey To Babel. One of the neat things about this episode is that McCoy tells Spock he can turn command over to Scotty, and later Kirk actually tells Bones that he will turn command over to him. Kirk even goes so far as to have someone (Uhura?) almost call Scott to the Bridge, but later changes his mind given the circumstances (ensuing threat) with regard to the enemy ship.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I've been pondering your question. I had to work late last night, but I've been thinking, there might not be that many answers. Not asking for a hint, just thinking about it.I only had time to read the first page of the What Are Little Girls Made Of section. I was surprised Cushman called it a very underrated episode with good points. That's a heck of a tease to keep me reading! It's not one of my favorites, so it will be interesting to see how this goes.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Unless I have missed one myself, I think there is only one answer remaining.The Little Girls chapter was one of the most surprising and informative for me. (I will say, by the way, that the qualitative reviews of the episodes in the Cushman book seem mostly beside the point to me. Not that his opinions are outlandish or unreasonable; just that it isn't really what the book is about, so in a lot of cases I don't even recall whether he liked a given episode or not.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I would agree Lee about Cushman's reviews. I don't agree with some of his opinions, but that doesn't matter. It's the content we are looking at. That's interesting about Little Girls, I'll be reading that tonight if not tomorrow.So, either Scott could do a clean sweep and find the other Scotty reference, or someone else could get it and it would be a tie.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"There can be no excuse for the crime of which I'm guilty. I intend to offer no defence. Furthermore, I shall order Mister Scott to take immediate command of this vessel. "Amok Time?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
So, either Scott could do a clean sweep and find the other Scotty reference, or someone else could get it and it would be a tie.
Nelson,

I can forgive such a display only once. If it ends up being a tie between you and I, then we could bring in the lirpa. And if we both survive that, then combat will continue with the ahn woon. After all, this combat is to the death. Kroykah!

Incidentally, I had absolutely no idea that you were posting about Amok Time as I was creating the lines above in my post. Astonishing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

The cause was more than sufficient. Let us speak no further of it. (Bet you didn't see that coming, eh?)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This is the HTF heart...this is the HTF soul...it is our way.Those were the two. I think it was significant that of the three episodes in the second season where Scotty doesn't appear, he is mentioned in two of them. It indicates that the character had become quite important to the "world" of the show. That's why, even agreeing with many of the uncomfortable truths stated by Robert Justman in that pre-third season memo released a few weeks ago, I was surprised that he didn't consider the Scotty character less dispensable than some others.In any case, tie score. Excellent work. Either of you may proceed with the game.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Scotty situation does seem incongruous with that memo! Thanks Scott. I have two ideas for questions and I want to make sure they're not half cocked. So I'll try to prep something in the next day.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I read the Little Girls entry. What a troubled production! Gene Roddenberry sounded a tad star struck at first with Bloch being a contributor. And then Justman learning about the story being so similar to earlier works by Bloch and to the episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Interesting how the ending and reveal we're done to prevent a lawsuit. But it made the ending better! And it's unfortunate George C Johnson's opinion wasn't appreciated. And also, the writing of this episode occurred at a time they were also working on The Naked Time and how Majel was able to influence the inclusion of the nurse that became Chapel. I'm more surprised she didn't care for how poorly her character was developed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks