What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Some good choices there, Scott. I hope you give them all the consideration they are due...No, Nelson, Gamma Vertis IV and Manark IV seem like interesting places to visit, but no way of knowing if they are in the Federation.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay Lee, another terrific theory down the drain! :)Half the third season to go. Kathryn Hays really did a fantastic job in The Empath. Another of my favorites from the third season. Another Kirk speech at the end. And in a way similar to The Savage Curtain, aliens testing and wanting to learn from our heroes. But with positive results this time to save a world. Still can't believe those tubes were from Lost in Space. Though the Vians sort of looked like an alien from Lost in Space.What did you pick Scott?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
That's a parallel that hadn't occurred to me before, between The Empath and The Savage Curtain. I do love The Empath. You're having quite the marathon...I'm sure you will have more new insights into the third season.The clue was directed at The Savage Curtain, for what it's worth.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Lee, I never got around to creating audio files of the third season, so I don't visit it as often. l plan to remedy that to make my awful commute more enjoyable! So this marathon has been more enjoyable then expected as I'm revisiting episodes I don't see as often. And I just listened to the George Duning tracks for The Empath.Speaking of insights, thanks for your apraisal of Spocks character's treatment in the 3rd season. Yes, I hadn't thought of the Hymie-esque behavior as you did! Fortunately, it was only a few times.And thanks for reaffirming the clue is for The Savage Curtain. I'll keep that in mind.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson and Lee,

I ended up watching Wink Of an Eye. I picked up on something last night that never occurred to me before. (You may both stop thinking about the line from Obsession. ;)) You know how we've been talking about the music titled "Probing / Monster Illusion" for the past several months or so? This episode has several iterations of that segment almost from beginning to end, permeating the sound world of this episode nearly entirely. In fact, I would go so far as to guess that Wink Of an Eye includes the greatest volume (as in the quantity of audio heard) of this particular musical passage than does any other episode of TOS.

Now for the irony (at least relative to me). It does not include the measures of my favorite iteration of "Monster Illusion" in it, which is astonishing to me since it contains so many other variations of the theme (e.g., differing instrumentation, tempi, variations in key, etc.) throughout the episode. In other words, it does not include what one hears when Spock is sprayed by the plants (This Side Of Paradise) or when Nona is healing Kirk (A Private Little War).

The next time either of you watch this episode, I believe you will be surprised at just how much of this track is heard throughout the episode.

Addendum: I forgot to mention that the episode also includes variations (the succession of triads is not identical) of the wonderful chordal work that one hears during Charlie's demise (Charlie X) and during the transport over to the Botany Bay (Space Seed), the latter episode including the combination of the eerie harmonic progression with the transporter effect not heard anywhere else in the series.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have it on order right now, but Amazon is in its punishing-me-for-not-having-Amazon-Prime mood, so it hasn't come yet. Do you have it, Sam? Which posters are your favorites?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Sam Favate said:
Have any of you seen the book Star Trek: The Art of Juan Ortiz? It's got the entire collection of all the posters created for TOS over the last few years. Really nice work. Makes me wish I have enough wall space for 10 of them. Curious to see what others thought.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Art_of_Juan_Ortiz
Sam,I have never seen that art before. I love the look of it, though. And I appreciate the link! :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Never thought about the pervasiveness of the re-recorded Monster Illusion in Wink of an Eye. It does set the right mood for the episode.Speaking of Wink of an Eye, Nelson, have you noticed how often in the third season, the Enterprise crew actually fails to accomplish anything? That isn't necessarily a criticism; the third season gets knocked for being more "juvenile" and sometimes stories where the hero is unable to succeed can be much more adult. But in either case, there are several third season episodes, like Wink of an Eye, in which the Enterprise escapes its danger, but fails to solve the underlying problem, and that was almost never the case in the first two seasons.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have seen those posters from Ortiz and I think they are very cool! They capture the spirit of the episodes. But I didn't know a book of them was coming! Thanks Sam.Scott, I have seen the teaser and a tad of the first act of Wink of An Eye last night, when I finish the episode, I'll be listening for Monster illusion. I never thought about that aspect of the third season Lee. It does seem to be a matter of survival sometimes. Just getting through the situation. I'll keep whether they solve any problems in mind as I continue.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Scott, I have seen the teaser and a tad of the first act of Wink of An Eye last night, when I finish the episode, I'll be listening for Monster illusion.
Nelson,Enjoy. And remember too that you will hear much of "Probing" (the first part of that track) in addition to segments from "Monster Illusion."

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
"I never thought about that aspect of the third season Lee. It does seem to be a matter of survival sometimes. Just getting through the situation. I'll keep whether they solve any problems in mind as I continue."I will happily elaborate (as you all feared, no doubt) as you finish your marathon, but I'll be curious to hear if you saw the same trend.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Ortiz posters, if you are feeling the need to own the real things, this company Qmx has them available in sets. Pricey but at the same time, not that bad. For $34, you get a set of 4 posters per their collection of episodes. Well, if you follow the link, you'll see. I never got them and some of them are pretty cool. Some I wonder what his inspiration was. But regardless of what you think of his interpretation, they are all well done.https://store.qmxonline.com/TOS-Art-Print-Series-_c_44.html

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, I always welcome hearing your thoughts on the episodes and elaborations! I feel more comfortable with your guesses then most people's facts, to sort of quote McCoy. :)This weekend I hope to make more progress with the marathon.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I would love to have all the posters, but honestly don't have anywhere near the wall space for 79 posters, which was why I was so pleased that the book was coming. Maybe after spending some close up time with the whole set that way, I will choose a couple to buy and hang.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ah, not 79 posters, 80! There's one in there for The Cage. The book is large enough that the pictures are large enough to appreciate.

As for favorites of mine, I'd have to say The Cage (which has never been shown before) because it is styled after artist Josh Agle (Shag) who is a favorite of mine. The City on the Edge, Trouble with Tribbles, Ultimate Computer, Way to Eden, Balance of Terror, This Side of Paradise, The Empath and Amok Time are among my favorites. Really great work, and it's such a great idea, I'm surprised no one thought of it earlier.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the review, Sam. I figured on one for The Cage, but I guess there are two for The Menagerie? I will keep a special eye on your favorites when I receive the book.I joined the cult and watched Wink of an Eye yesterday. Scott is absolutely right about the heavy use of the music from The Cage. It was treated as a kind of theme for Deela; most interestingly, the first use of it is when Kirk hears the buzzing on the bridge. In the moment, it doesn't mean anything special, but then retrospectively, it was Deela secretly kissing him, the music registering her presence, even though we couldn't see her.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll look into collecting the poster book! I completed viewing Wink of An Eye this morning. I hear the recurring track as well and came to a similar conclusion Lee. I suppose for an episode that ends with them escaping with their lives and not able to really do anything for the Scalotians, it does appear that they don't accomplish much here as well. Perhaps a line of dialogue at the end in a Catpains Log would reveal they leave them as they are as part of the non-interference directive. And they did try to invade the ship, so they got off easy.Tiburon!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
I joined the cult and watched Wink of an Eye yesterday. Scott is absolutely right about the heavy use of the music from The Cage. It was treated as a kind of theme for Deela; most interestingly, the first use of it is when Kirk hears the buzzing on the bridge. In the moment, it doesn't mean anything special, but then retrospectively, it was Deela secretly kissing him, the music registering her presence, even though we couldn't see her.
Lee,Very well said. I was quite surprised hearing so much first-season music in a third-season episode, and especially hearing the tracks I mentioned above as often as I did. Perhaps I shouldn't be, as it may be that this music is also used extensively in other third-season episodes. Of course, now I will be listening for this music when watching episodes from season three.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks