What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (5 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed that Kodos was well developed as a character. I think he felt regret for what he did.One things for sure, it weighed on him, yet Harry Mudd didn't feel any such thing!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee. I'm really glad to see the shuttlecraft finally in the hands of capable people with the means to properly save the model. It's led a rough life. I saw it in the early 90's partially restored before the owner ran out of money and motivation and it went on to rot again. Now its safe and sound! Though I wish it came back to California. But that's a nice venue for it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Michael Ansara made a few appearances in I Dream Of Jeannie. But whenever I see him in that series, I can't help but think of Kang.

"It's a scary thought now, but then, only one generation removed from the Holocaust, it would, I think, have yielded an even more visceral reaction from the audience."

I often think of this whenever I see Patterns Of Force, which is a mere twenty-two or so years after the end of World War II. And the fact that both Shatner and Nimoy are Jewish really rings home with me in that episode.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, Lee, What struck me about the Ansara appearance on Jeannie was how it was such a silly one of sorts. It was for laughs of course and I'm sure he took it in stride as part of the joke and job. Then I had to wonder how he felt and other actors during that era to wear those costumes and play these fantasy type characters. I'm sure many saw it as a living. Seeing Elizabeth Montgomery in the get-up as her more flamboyant cousin Serena also has me wondering how she felt. But it's a job and a living! These are actors and they are paid to do sometimes silly things. It was a contrast then to see him as Kang and playing it very straight and delivering a memorable and strong character. I know Nimoy had concerns with the ears but he obviously embraced it early on. "You wanted show business, by golly you got it!" :)Scott, Lee, it's very true and I have almost forgotten that WW2 was so close in the memories of those involved in Star Trek, it's not a surprise so many events from the war influenced Star Trek stories.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Well, I did my homework and watched The Grim Reaper and also the Kamehameha episode of Jeannie. The Grim Reaper is still good, but much as I liked your perspective theory, Nelson, it doesn't explain the missing weapon. If it was suicide, there would have to be a weapon besides the one in the painting. Also, if it's his hallucination, why do they all see the blood?The Jeannie episode...well, let's just hope they had a nice vacation. (Although Bill Daily's Bob Hope thing is always cute: "Why don't we go back to my room and cook it?") Good question about actors in those fantasy shows. I have read that Ms. Montgomery loved playing Serena, but I'm sure some guest stars found the whole thing very odd. Jane Wyatt, for example, had never watched Star Trek when she took the role and until she read the script, she just assumed from the description that it was a comedy of some kind.I think WWII did have a huge influence on Star Trek. Not only were millions of viewers veterans, but Roddenberry, Coon, Justman, and Freiberger were all combat veterans of that war. I think a lot of the show's philosophy was colored by their experiences and feelings about what they saw.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, thanks for your insights and reactions to The Grim Reaper viewing. When I saw it, I missed the part as to how Shatner's character killed Ms Schafer's character. And the ending scene when Shatner's character gets his comeuppance, I was watching in bed on a little TV. So I hadn't realized there was blood. I'll have to re-view it. It sounds as literal as you said.I tuned in really late to the Jeannie episode. Bob Hope had a camero?Reminds me, I'll have to play the Outer Limits episode: Soldier. That's a fav. And the Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea film blu ray is coming.Mrs Wyatt sounds like she had the same reaction as Lucille Ball did. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No, Bob Hope didn't appear. I just meant that I always find Bill Daily's channeling of the Bob Hope persona--the boastful yet cowardly lover--funny, even in a troubled episode like that one.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha Lee! I mainly know Bill Daily from his Bob Newhart character, Howard. I haven't really seen Jeannie in ages, so I don't have much of a memory of Roger's character. I liked his Howard character much better! :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes Lee, there are many titles in all our own video libraries to pick from to revisit his work. I'll have to pick a few to watch this weekend.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Wow, very odd that this occurred at right about the time we were discussing Michael Ansara. :(

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just watched Blood Oath, the DS9 episode with Kang, Koloth and Kor.I thought they did a great job with that episode, they each had their moments. I liked that Koloth was written as a character with more teeth. He was sort of comic relief for Trouble with Tribbles.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,An awesome episode for sure. Now you have me wanting to watch that one in honor of Michael Ansara. The only down side for me (but I suppose it had to happen) was that they did not all survive the episode. I would have loved to have seen all three together at the end, along with Dax, rejoicing (with blood wine in hand, of course) that they had finally caught up with and killed the 'Albino.'

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Scott, they should have all survived, a little beaten up, but they went out gloriously!I think I'll watch Soldier tonight and if I have it, his Hawaii Five-O appearance, perhaps Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (film) and cap it off with Day of the Dove.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Agreed Scott, they should have all survived, a little beaten up, but they went out gloriously!

I think I'll watch Soldier tonight and if I have it, his Hawaii Five-O appearance, perhaps Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (film) and cap it off with Day of the Dove.
Nelson,

I'm going to watch it as well tonight. :)

"My name is Qarlo Clobregnny, private -- RM EN TN DO"!

warrior1965.jpg

Quarlo_320x573.jpg

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I remember watching Blood Oath when it aired and being very happy about Michael Ansara's work in it. The others were good (particularly John Colicos), but they were playing what felt like entirely separate characters from Kor and Koloth as they had been written and acted the first time. Ansara was the only one who was both good and, to my ear, consistent with his original performance.I will do my Ansara tribute marathon tomorrow.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, definitely had not heard about this book! But I have to ask, why isn't any of this material in this book not in the Justman/Solow book? I read 90% of the excerpt, certainly material never seen before to this level. Perhaps the Justman/Solow book is based on their recollections and not researched. The stories from Robert Brown are eye opening! And then I have to also ask who this publisher is? Not the large reputable ones, like Pocket Books. Sorry to sound suspicious, not imply this book is not from a reputable company. There's a guy listed as a contributor on the About page whose known in the Trek prop community. And he's not someone I have a lot of faith in his knowledge. But he's not writing the book, so I can sort of overlook that. Regardless, if this book is from a small group that's like a self publisher or start-up, it's certainly got a compelling product. And Lee, if you think the author is legit from his earlier work, then that's certainly a strong recommendation! Again, I'm sorry to sound suspicious, this webpage just doesn't have that look of a real company and having not heard of this book before raised a red alert for me! It's out very soon too!Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    maanw2357
    Recent bookmarks