What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (4 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't know that story Lee about Bixby's experience writing the episode. I decided to watch By Any Other Name and just finished. Fireworks hasn't started yet in the west coast! Agreed about the tonal change. It was a lot of fun and the Kelvin's didn't have a chance! I certainly noticed especially Kelinda and Rojan becoming less chalky and pasty and more tanned. Everyone certainly had fun in that one. The blu-ray really reveals the make-up changes. And the dark hair coloring they did for Rojan rubs off on Kirk's uniform during the fight, I think I mentioned that before. I can't help but see that everytime. I have the aptly themed Omega Glory playing now.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,Thanks for the elaboration. That's very well said. You really ought to write some of your thoughts on TOS down in a book one day. :)Like Nelson, I hadn't heard the bit about Bixby and Fontana either. I decided to watch By Any Other Name last night, and right away noticed the credits for the teleplay at the beginning.

"Scott, that's an intriguing point about the make-up. I have only ever noticed the changes in Rojan's. The episode was also, as we once covered in a trivia question, the only one filmed by Keith Smith, and his lighting on the Enterprise sets may have been slightly different too."I'm not convinced with regard to the shifts in gradation at this point. The posters on the other Board (and me to some extent) may have overstated the apparent changes in make-up somewhat. I too have noticed it mostly on Rojan, although I have seen differences in Tomar as well. But these could very well be due to lighting. Another thought I had was that perhaps the make-up was done on two (or more) different days of shooting, but I don't know the shooting schedule of that episode.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No question the makeup was done on different days. I don't know the shooting schedule either, but Warren Stevens must have been working at least four days of the six. He is in almost every location and has a lot of screen time. So you could certainly be right that the makeup was just darker on the days they filmed on the ship sets.Like with most shows, Star Trek usually just credited the original writer unless there was an awfully extensive rewrite. (Notice that episodes we know were heavily revised, like Shore Leave and City on the Edge, were not even given split credits.) So when an episode is co-credited to Fontana or Coon or Roddenberry or Carabatsos, or whoever was on staff at the time, it's a good bet that there were significant changes beyond just dialogue or even the resolution of the plot.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This system has been bugging me the last few days. The Marcus System.It seems the Marcus System comes up a lot. Unless the Marcus 3 that the Enterprise is late in delivering the medicines to is a different Markus system that the children from the tragic events on Triacus want to go to; the colony on Marcus 12.Perhaps spelling and children pronunciation variations makes them different?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I always thought they were different because of the pronunciations, but maybe Commissioner Ferris spent a lot of time in Boston...anyway, another point for Makus (or Marcus) III.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee and Nelson,Where are you guys with regard to the current trivia question? I have been remiss! :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No, I was remiss in asking a two-week question! I have 8 or 9 more Federation planets on my list, and am ready to give hints if desired.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay, 8 or 9 gives me a sense of how many are left. I am definitely game to keep guessing without hints. Did Scott get Markos XII already. I looked, but didn't see it.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I had given you credit for it on June 16th, Nelson, although now I see that you probably meant the Galileo Seven one instead. In any case, you now have both of them.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes! If they have fundamental declarations, we know they exist. And in the context of Cogley's speech, they seem very likely to be part of the Federation, as he speaks of them in terms of a shared tradition of liberty.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think Whom Gods Destroy proves there are people on Antos IV, but it also seems to imply that they are not members of the Federation, at least at that point.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The mass insanity swept: the Beta Portilin System, Levinius V, Theta Cygni XII and Ingraham B. Of course Beta Portilin probably is Pre-Federation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks