What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (9 Viewers)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
New question. In which ONE episode do we see all of the following things?1) Kirk's quarters2) Crew deaths3) Kirk out of uniform4) Weapons besides the usual phasers5) A female member of the landing party6) At least one crew member eating

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay, since no one has taken a shot at this, I'm dying to!"Mind your business Mr. Spock. I'm sick of your half breed interference! "Kirk wears a jumpsuit, the android Kirk is in Kirk's quarters, Chapel goes down on the landing party, red shirts are killed, Kirk eats some beef stew, and Dr. Brahm brandishes the laser pistol in modified form from The Cage.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
FanCollector said:
New question. In which ONE episode do we see all of the following things?6) At least one crew member eating
Interesting how in the early episodes it seems they ate mostly Jello cubes, but in later episodes (such as Tribbles) it was more traditional food like chicken sandwiches and tomato soup.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Hasn't poor Nurse Chapel suffered enough?Well done, Nelson! You saw right through me. Did any one clue give it away particularly?Bryan, that's an excellent point. It seems like they used familiar foods when they were mentioned in dialogue and colored cubes when they were only for visuals. (Nick Meyer tells a funny story about getting the actors to eat that stuff in Star Trek VI.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, you know, in thinking about it, some of your clues could have applied to other episodes. But the one that stuck to me was being out of uniform. Ah, the old colored marshmellons. :)I'll ponder a question.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had one last comment on PT-109, I forgot to mention the biggest Star Trek connection. George Takei is the helmsman of the ship that rams Kennedy's PT boat! Of course the film portrays them actually steer towards it. He had no lines or a close up. While listening to The Deadly Years, it made me wonder which episode where Chekov has the most lines of dialogue. So counting lines from the transcript website, which of these Chekov heavy episodes has the most lines?The Trouble With TribblesThe Deadly YearsGamesters of TriskelionSpectre of the GunThe Way to EdenDay of the DoveThere could be others that have more lines, but I randomly picked these as they seemed the most obvious. Plus I may not have counted correctly, but I think I got the numbers right. I only counted where his name appears, and not the actual lines within each times he speakers. So a line could have two sentences or more, but are counted as one.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Given the nature of the question, I will obviously only be making one guess. Maybe you should wait to give the answer until everyone has time to make a guess, given the multiple choice aspect? Up to you.I would think it's Spectre of the Gun. He has some speeches there which wouldn't count as more than one line, but even so, I think that probably gave him the most to do.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
FanCollector said:
It seems like they used familiar foods when they were mentioned in dialogue and colored cubes when they were only for visuals. (Nick Meyer tells a funny story about getting the actors to eat that stuff in Star Trek VI.)
Since you mention Star Trek VI, I believe that is the only time we see a "galley" on a starship (except for Neelix's improvised one). I recall seeing VI for the first time and being surprised to see pots and pans, etc. I had always thought the idea was that it was all automated.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay Lee. Agreed, makes sense to see if others chime in. I realize the question takes some educated guessing based on the need to actually ho in and count.Bryan, it was clear in TOS that food was reconstituted, as McCoy put it. Well, Rand did deliver food to Kirk and Sulu once, but likely they came from food dispensers. (And in Charlie X, there is a cook on board cooking meatloaf.) Meyer actively disregarded all those aspects and wanted his films to show real food being made and real books being read. Funny how now books are being replaced by tablets.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I know you have all moved on but I watched ST:TMP Director's cut last night and I found it effectively no different in tone and feel than the theatrical cut. There were cuts/shorten sections here and there and other sections with extra dialog but nothing really changed it. So when I thought the Director's cut really changed the feel and speed of the movie, it was really just seeing and remembering the Special Edition as if it was the theatrical release. The two things I really did like extra in the Director's cut was being able to actually see the entirety of V'Ger's ship clearly as it approached Earth and as it "exploded" and the extra dialog with Scotty and the ensign about why Kirk gave the order to blow up the ship. It made it clear why Spock mentioned the central brain and why Kirk would only disclose the information to V'Ger himself. The only other extended scene I felt was useful was the discussion between Kirk, Spock, and Decker after V'Ger broke off the attack, right before Kirk says "Opinions?" Sort of a pre-discussion. I did miss the klaxons and computer stating the emergency (i.e. "Negative control at helm") that were removed in the Director's cut.

I would love to have all 3 versions on Blu with seamless branching but I'm fine if all we every have is the theatrical version.

I also paid attention to the time frames mentioned. Kirk states he has 5 years experience (no additional command) and has been in charge of Starfleet operations for 2.5 years. The Enterprise refit has been going on for 18 months. So the gap between TOS and TMP would be about 4.5 years if we assume the original 5 year mission had 2 years left. Not quite sure what the Enterprise was doing in the year between Kirk getting promoted and the start of the 18 month refit. It can't be that Decker had command since he is "untried".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Chuck. I really liked the DC over the theatrical as to me it does "seem" to feel smoother. I am glad bits were cut that didn't need to be there that Wise discusses in the audio commentary, like when Kirk says, "Viewer off." He didn't need to repeat it. But the main difference is the revised visual effects. I agree seeing V'Ger in its entirety really helps. And seeing Vulcan as it should be based on the original art is not just better eye candy, but Vulcan has no Moons Miss Uhura. I hope that Paramount will release a nice TMP blu-ray too with everything. No more tries on which episode had the most Chekov lines!

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
But for every "Viewer off" cut (which I was fine with 2nd one to give the full sense of "oh crap") there is "Oh good Christine, its Chekov" "I can stop his pain" and adding about 2 extra reaction shots per bridge crewmember when going through the cloud. I like the DC up to getting to V'Ger, the theatrical for the cloud up to reaching Earth, and then the DC again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks