What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Australia is mentioned in Space Seed, and Chekov also mentions that the Garden of Eden was "just outside Moscow," although the latter (Moscow) is neither a country nor a nationality, strictly speaking. Spock mentions Canada in The Trouble With Tribbles ("It's root grain, triticale, can trace its ancestry back to 20th century Canada").

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Two more points, Nelson. Swahili is not a recognized political nation of course, but it certainly refers to a unique and identifiable cultural group.I have eleven examples left.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Riley refers to himself as an Irishman, and Scotty refers to himself as a Scotsman. Also, Chicago is mentioned (A Piece Of the Action), the United States Of America (The Omega Glory), Tombstone, Arizona (Spectre Of the Gun), India (Space Seed), and Russia (I, Mudd).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
FanCollector said:
You know what Joe's trouble was? He wasn't born as good at trivia as Scott.Correct on both counts.
Lee,Please see my edited post above. And my 'Russia' example is different than Nelson's 'Leningrad' example.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Russian and American examples are different, but Nelson did already get the points for those countries/nationalities. India is entirely new, however!As is Armenia for Nelson.I currently have the score at six to five for Nelson.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I listened to the Mission Log Mirror, Mirror podcast today and I thought it was very good. The two hosts engaged in some rather thoughtful analysis and they considered the episode on a variety of levels, from trivia to character to theme. They didn't spend the whole time discussing whether they liked the episode, as so many podcasts get trapped into doing. I wasn't sure that a ten-minute detailed plot summary was necessary; given the level of discussion, any listener should at least have seen the episode before. But other than that, I was impressed. I'll be checking out more of their discussions.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Is the rest of your trivia that faulty, Nelson?Yes, a point for Britain. (Adding that to Ireland and Scotland, do you suppose the Welsh are feeling left out?)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Your point is well taken. I was curious so I did a search of Welsh names. The only one I saw that I recall used for character names was Tristan Adams. Tristan is a Welsh sir name. But that doesn't mean the good doctor is Welsh.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
While Italy is not mentioned, Rome is mentioned a few times. And not positive, The Sea of Japan is mentioned? No hints yet! :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Rome counts, I would argue, because it isn't a nation now, but it was in the context that it was used. Not aware of the Japan reference. (It is implied in The Squire of Gothos and Shore Leave, but not stated.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks