What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Tholian example wasn't on my list, but it would seem like another out of the ordinary example. Accepted! 5 for Lee, 3 for Chuck I have three more on my list, but it's open to add more miracles.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Scott and McCoy "get Spock ready" in Spock's Brain, and they certainly save his life by doing so, as he would never have been rescued if his body were not on hand and controllable. And he does get the PXK pergium reactor in The Devil in the Dark working again, albeit temporarily. If he hadn't bought them those hours, the colony would have had to shut down permanently because Kirk wouldn't have had time to solve the problem.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"A PXK? I haven't seen one of those in 20 years!" That was one, correct! The situation in Spock's Brain had crossed my mind. It was an engineering feat to make Spock's body mobile. Okay, I'll add that one. 2 more points for Lee. I have always wondered what Nimoy was thinking when he was walking around like a zombie.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
spocksbrainhd0541.jpg
I'm calling my agent. I'm calling my agent. I'm calling my agent...

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Last night, I watched Spock's Brain and then The Enterprise Incident. I hadn't really given the music in Spock's Brain a careful listening before last night, and it's wonderful. And of course, Spock's Brain gives us angles on the Bridge not seen in any other episode of TOS. Those angles are very interesting, too. They made the Bridge (to me at least) seem quite a bit smaller than I had assumed it was.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: And I'm thinking of Alan Rickman too in Galaxy Quest. Nimoy was extremely professional given that outtake you posted earlier from Whom Gods Destroy and did some really nice work in the third year. Despite the silliness that did creep in.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"You said that there was always alternatives, Mr. Spock." Correct, that was a big one! I have one more on my list and possibly more if you guys come up with one.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
How about The Apple? As with The Devil in the Dark, he buys them just enough time to stay alive and solve the problem at its source.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"There's nothing left to do sir! I guess you'll have to fire me." Well Lee, I hadn't thought of The Apple. It's true he bought the ship some time so Kirk could resolve the problem. Okay, you convinced me and another point!

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Here is a few weaker ones. The Enemy Within Mr. Scott had do more than simply fix the transporter to merge the two halves. Who Mourns for Adonais? Mr. Scott took quite a beating to drain Apollo's powers before the Enterprise finished him off. Bread and Circuses Mr. Scott caused a power outage that saved Kirk's life, which in turn saved Mr. Spock and Dr. McCoy. The Lights of Zetar Only Mr. Scott could touch Mira Romain to put her in the pressure chamber without getting killed.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"The transporter unit ioniser. Nothing much left of it, sir. " "We've found a way to get the transporter working, sir. " The Enemy Within was the answer I was looking for! With the transporter so badly damaged from the phaser blast and all wonky from the ore on Fisher's uniform, he and Spock got it working to save Kirk and save the men freezing on the planet. I thought that required Scott to really do some out of the ordinary engineering! Unless there's another answer, that about wraps this one up. The final score: Lee- 9. Chuck- 4 This was interesting, at first I thought that the actual number of engineering feats by Mr. Scott might be less, because over the years, the legend enlarged it. But there were quite a few times Scott saved the day! Lee, you won the round. Nice effort Chuck!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The Enemy Within! Nice, Chuck. That went right past me. 13 good examples of Scott's unique skills saving the day. When you add in the cases in which he saves the day in a command capacity, that's quite a record. He made 60 or 65 appearances and saved everybody a whole bunch of times. (Are you taking notes, Nurse Chapel?) I'll come up with a question for tomorrow.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee, Are the teasers synonymous with the trailers shown for each episode? I ask because that is what they are called on the DVD sets. Also, do you know if the teasers for any given episode remain unchanged regardless of the medium (broadcast versions, differing formats, etc.) on which they are included?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'm sorry. I was referring to the pre-credit sequence that begins each episode. (The same question for the trailers would be, to coin a phrase, fascinating. But I wouldn't know the answers without watching them all again. They are, I am pretty sure, unchanged from format to format, except that on VHS, they were appended to earlier episodes, fulfilling their original function as advertising. Since then, they have always accompanied the episode they are previewing.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes, the forum is shutting down this weekend. I guess no trivia over the weekend. How can I stand the strain! If I don't chime in with an answer, see you guys in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks