What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (5 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
It's funny guys. In thinking about possible answers, I would think of many instances a euphemism is used for more acceptable language. Like " Go to the Devil!" Or "What in blazes is going on!". So finding another use of Hell has been elusive. :)
Nelson, Or in my case, I've actually thought that the word was in one or two episodes when it actually wasn't. I had to check to be certain in a few cases.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
It's a process of elimination now! How about Requiem for Mr. Flint?
Nelson, I believe Lee has already guessed Turnabout Intruder (negative on that episode). But yes, Requiem For Methuselah is indeed one of the examples, and I believe it is the only example of the usage of the word in its plural form ('hells'). That puts you currently into the lead, 3-2 with one more left (also from the third season). In the event of a 3-3 tie, you will both have to speak to my associate to seek resolution:
b8f6d66c_320x240.jpeg

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson, Correct. It's actually quite a fascinating choice of words spoken by Flint in the line (see the final quote below).
FanCollector said:
Gracious of you, Nelson, though I'm not sure I deserve one. Spectre of the Gun?
And it's a tie! Nicely done, Lee. You two may decide who gets the next question. Here is the context of each of the lines with the word 'hell' or 'hells' in them: The Alternative Factor ("I'll chase you to the very fires of hell!"). Space Seed ("It is better to rule in hell than serve in heaven"). The City On the Edge Of Forever ("Let's get the hell out of here"). The Doomsday Machine ("Right out of hell, I saw it"). Spectre Of the Gun ("Hell for leather. Right out of history"). Requiem For Methuselah ("... the private hells, the inner needs and mysteries, the beast of instinct").

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Those third season examples were tough! Hell for leather is not a line I recall! Alright, if you insist Lee. I was pondering a question on my way home tonight. It involves the miracle worker! Name the episodes in which Mr. Scott actually performed an engineering task that saved the ship and or lives. Sometimes he did it in tandem with another crewmember. I have 8 examples in my list. Name the task performed too if you can.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'll start with two that used the same music...he repairs the transporter circuitry in The Doomsday Machine, allowing Kirk to beam back before the Constellation explodes. Then, in Obsession in tandem with Spock, he cross circuits the transporter to B, allowing Kirk and Garrovick to beam back before the antimatter explodes on Tycho IV.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, you answered that question in ways I didn't plan on! While you are correct about The Doomsday Machine, I was really thinking that the miracle was that he got the Constellation to go again! :). But you chose another miracle, the one that saved Kirk's life. Obsession is correct and one I missed! 2 points!

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
In That Which Survives he reduced the anti-matter flow to prevent the Enterprise from exploding. I'm not sure if this fits perfectly, but in effect Mr. Scott did save the lives of Prime Universe landing party by rigging the transporter (with Dr. McCoy) in Mirror, Mirror as they were not going to survive under Empire rules.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"You might at least say, Thank you!" 2 points for Chuck! Correct, those two episodes are what I had in mind and for those tasks!

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
He risks voiding the warranty by installing non-factory parts in both Elaan of Troyius (rough dilithium crystals) and The Enterprise Incident (the cloaking device). Both instances save the Enterprise from being destroyed in an enemy attack.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Just for clarity's sake...I assume we are limiting this to difficult or unusual engineering tasks. For example, by putting antimatter into a magnetic bottle or by applying forward thrust in The Immunity Syndrome, he saves the ship. But both of those seem pretty routine and he just does them because Kirk says so. You're not looking for that kind of thing, are you?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
In The Naked Time Mr. Scott and Mr. Spock try a theoretical formula to immediately restart a cold engine. Apparently Mr. Scott can break the laws of physics.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Lee, sorry if the question wasn't more tightly defined. You have interpreted it correctly, not the routine tasks, but tasks out of the ordinary. Chuck, correct! Mr. Scott did break the laws of physics! The Naked Time was one of the earliest examples.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
No, the question was fine; I just wanted to be sure before skipping a whole lot of workaday miracles. Would you count The Tholian Web? It isn't particularly showy, but both Scott and McCoy make it seem as though keeping the Enterprise steady in interspace and repairing the damage from battling the Tholians are both difficult and critical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks