What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (7 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scott- As long as it's fun, that's important!
Nelson,
Agreed. It was an excellent question! :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Name at least two Federation authority figures that Kirk rebuffs. Names and (TOS) episodes, please.

I have two in mind, but many are acceptable.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There are so many good ones to choose from! This is a good question.

1. Commissioner Ferris- Over seeing the delivery of medical supplies to the New Paris Colonies. The Galileo Seven
2. Nilz Baris- Under Secretary for Agriculture. The Trouble with Tribbles.

------------------- Some iffy ones below:
3. Commissioner Hedford- Sent to Epsilon Canaris 3 to prevent a war. Metamorphosis. Though not so much rebuff, but some initial clashing when The Companion takes control of the shuttle.
4.Commodore Stocker- On route for his new post as commander of Starbase 10. Probably does not count as he is not a Federation authority. He is a Starfleet officer, a chairbound paper pusher. The Deadly Years.
5. Ambassador Fox- An iffy choice as the Kirk rebuff is more about following orders to ensure his safety during the Eminiar mission. Scotty was the one who really rebuffs him. Unfortunately the title escapes me right now!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/270103/star-trek-trivia-series-and-films/540#post_3589850
There are so many good ones to choose from! This is a good question.
1. Commissioner Ferris- Over seeing the delivery of medical supplies to the New Paris Colonies. The Galileo Seven
2. Nilz Baris- Under Secretary for Agriculture. The Trouble with Tribbles.
------------------- Some iffy ones below:
3. Commissioner Hedford- Sent to Epsilon Canaris 3 to prevent a war. Metamorphosis. Though not so much rebuff, but some initial clashing when The Companion takes control of the shuttle.
4.Commodore Stocker- On route for his new post as commander of Starbase 10. Probably does not count as he is not a Federation authority. He is a Starfleet officer, a chairbound paper pusher. The Deadly Years.
5. Ambassador Fox- An iffy choice as the Kirk rebuff is more about following orders to ensure his safety during the Eminiar mission. Scotty was the one who really rebuffs him. Unfortunately the title escapes me right now!
Nelson,
Yes, Scotty really challenges (and wins) against "poppin' J."
BTW, that's from A Taste of Armageddon, one of my all-time favorite episodes of TOS.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

It's such a thought-provoking episode. Had it not been for Fox ordering Kirk to interfere, I'd probably still not know for certain which decision was best. It's easy to say "just stop fighting," but assuming that that is not pragmatic nor possible (for whatever reasons), then IMO the decision of what to do becomes even more ethically challenging.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,
Great episodes. Regarding The Galileo Seven, don't you think Boma is a bit too smug in the episode? I love it when Scotty reprimands him for being so disrespectful towards Spock.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The fun part of Galileo is seeing Spock struggle between logic and emotion and learn from it. McCoy gets some great interaction with Spock too.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
You got it, Nelson. I was thinking of Galieo Seven and A Taste of Armageddon, two of my all-time favorites. Your other choices were good as well.

Yes, Boma was a bit too much at times, although it was nice to see a supporting character with more to do than just die. Also, it was clear that Boma didn't like Spock and gave him a hard time whenever he could.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sam! I just realized that if the answers you were thinking were A Taste of Armageddon, then perhaps Scott should share the win as I could not remember the title.

Yeah, Scott, Sam, on the Boma thing, he certainly was belligerent. It would be interesting to see if there was an extension of some scenes between Spock and Boma. Though it looked like the animosity grew out of the situation and Boma's lack of experience dealing with a Vulcan.

(edit: I was checking up on Galileo 7, an interesting anecdote, Yeoman Rand was originally to appear and was replaced by Yeoman Mears when they fired Grace Lee Whitney. And when I was in Los Angeles for the Farewell convention for James Doohan in 2004 or 5, I saw Don Marshall in the autograph room. He was looking pretty good, but much older of course.)

I recall recently reading that in The Omega Glory, they had written and filmed some portions between Captain Tracy and Spock in which Tracy shows his dislike of Vulcans. I believe they had an exchange right after they first beam down. But it was edited out.

Here's my next question, it's burning a hole in my pocket:

During the Next Generation, Whoopie Goldberg plays the mysterious Guinan. She's been around, knew of the Borg and other stuff. How many time periods do we see Guinan in? And can you name them and the episode/film. Here's a hint, there's been three. I hope that's not too confusing.

Edited by Nelson Au - 7/29/2009 at 04:12 pm GMT

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Have you ever read why they let Grace Lee Whitney go?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I've been away all morning and there's been activity the new software didn't ping me on!

Okay, regarding Grace Lee Whitney. I did read her memoir. If you have not read, it's pretty good and amazing to read what she did during the 70's. I couldn't put it down.

She was essentially fired from Star Trek because one of the executives, someone whom she will not name, tried to force himself on her one friday night after work. Either a studio executive or someone in the production staff. I guess pretty typical for that day too. It's really too bad.

Raasean! You got 2 out of 3. Unless, if I read by your reply, the third one was during Times Arrow at the "present" time, then you got all 3. Good job, I guess it was easier then I thought!

Your turn!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Wouldn't there be a 4th period, the alternate timeline in Yesterday's Enterprise? Or would you consider that the same time period as regular TNG?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
No other responses yet?

Okay, I think there was two as well. I know for sure it happened once in "Datalore". It had that horrible dialogue where Wesley says that Dr. Crusher knows how to turn Data "on". Lore flicks Data's switch on and off to make Data look like he's having a problem.

The other was "The Measure of a Man". Riker is asked to be Maddox's advocate to prove that Data is a mindless machine while Picard is Data's advocate tries to prove he's more then a mindless machine. Riker removes Data's arm and then later turns him off to make the point.

There could have been a third time during Brothers. But I have not looked it up yet.

Of course Data turns B4 off, but that does not count here.
Edited by Nelson Au - 7/31/2009 at 02:50 am GMT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation111
    Recent bookmarks