What's new

Scorsese's My Voyage to Italy (a personal history through Italian cinema) DVD 6/02 (1 Viewer)

Steve Hauben

Stunt Coordinator
from Link Removed
quote:
Miramax aboard Scorsese's ``Voyage''
By Charles Lyons
NEW YORK (Variety) - Miramax Films has acquired all television and video rights to Martin Scorsese's documentary ``My Voyage to Italy,'' a personal history through Italian cinema screening at the New York Film Festival.
``My Voyage'' pays tribute to some of Italy's greatest films and filmmakers while revealing Scorsese's own maturation as a filmmaker. Scorsese hosted, co-wrote and directed the project.
``I wanted to shake the dust off film history and ground it within common, everyday, lived experiences,'' Scorsese said. ``Ultimately, I wanted to do with these films what the best teachers did for me, which was create a sense of continuity between the past, the present and the future.''
Miramax, which bought the rights from Turner Entertainment Networks, also distributed his previous documentary film series, ``A Personal Journey With Martin Scorsese Through American Movies.''
``My Voyage'' will be released on DVD concurrently with its television premiere on Turner Classic Movies in June. The Turner Classics premiere will be accompanied by a screening of 20 pictures from Italy's most acclaimed directors.
Reuters/Variety REUTERS[/quote]
from http://www.filmlinc.com/GM9_21/2001festivalmain.html
quote: IL MIO VIAGGIO IN ITALIA In this moving film, Martin Scorsese traces this love for Italian cinema back to his earliest childhood memories of growing up in Little Italy and seeing his grandparents weep as they watched images of their homeland, devastated by war, in Rossellini's Paisan. Scorsese takes us through the films he loves best, some of them renowned classics like 8 1/2, some of them lesser known or more difficult films like Blasetti's The Iron Crown or Rossellini's Voyage to Italy. Il Mio Viaggio in Italia is at once a careful analysis, a historical investigation, and the spiritual autobiography of a great artist. 4hrs. 6min. USA, 2001 12V Fri. Oct 12, 6:30pm 13V Sat. Oct 13, 11:00AM[/quote]
Sounds cool
-Steve
[Edited last by Steve Hauben on October 09, 2001 at 11:37 AM]

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Good post Steve... Thanks for the info !
------------------
rublev.gif
[email protected]
DVD COLLECTION CONTEST , My DVD Collection ,My Home Theatre
DVDBeaver's 15 Member choices of the TOP 111 DVDs available today!

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for posting this, Steve. I have recently noticed that this DVD is available in France and I was wondering if an English language and/or subtitled version would be available.

However, I can find no supplier listing the US edition. Does anyone know if it is still scheduled?

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
This documentary premiered on TCM last night and I loved it, but where is the DVD ? This is a must-see if you are into foreign (especially Italian) cinema. It is like getting Martin Scorsese's personal commentary on many of the classics of Italian cinema.
The documentary featured clips from excellent prints of La Dolce Vita and L'Eclisse. I hope Criterion gets around to releasing these soon. Also, I can't wait for Criterion's release of Umberto D (due this Fall ?). The Bicycle Thief print could have used some restoration, but it was perfectly acceptable. I have picked up all the Criterion releases, but have held off on the Bicycle Thief DVD from Image. Does the DVD use a print that is at least as good as what was used for the clips in the documentary ?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Thanks for the heads-up! I only caught the last part of My Voyage to Italy so I'll just have to pick up the DVD. :)
Deepak, it's been awhile since I've watched The Bicycle Thief DVD, but I believe the print quality was about the same as you saw on the documentary. At any rate, the DVD features an acceptable transfer and is worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks