Scorsese to direct David Lean's "Nostromo"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Apr 23, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Check this article out from Yesterday's UK Independent:
    http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/f...p?story=287556
    This is exciting news as David Lean has always been one of cinemas true masters. Lean had produced some of the most exciting book to screen adaptations cinema has ever seen: Everything from Noel Coward (Brief Encounter & Blithe Spirit), Charles Dickens (Great Expectations & Oliver Twist), Boris Pasternak (Doctor Zhivago), and E.M. Forester (Passage to India). This will definitely be an interesting adaptation, and certainly hope that things work out for the production. Joseph Conrad works have never been very easy to adapt to the screen, so best of luck to them on polishing off the screenplay. It would also be great if they could get Maurice Jarre onboard as well. You can be certain that if David wanted Nostromo shot in 65mm, he most definitely would've wanted Jarre to score the film as well. I wish Marty the best of luck....He has VERY large shoes to fill.
    Reg

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Let's hope that he will get final cut with Gangs of New York

that should be out in December.

Oscar

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    There was a good miniseries of "Nostromo" from about six years ago with Colin Firth and Albert Finney among others. It was produced by the BBC and aired on PBS Masterpiece Theater in the USA.

I don't think Scorsese should worry about filling Lean's shoes. He's got a pretty nice set of shoes of his own, and he's adapting a literary classic which should be less intimidating than Spielberg picking up an AI project for which Kubrick had developed 80% of the story and most of the visual concepts with various collaborators. Scorsese's real challenge will be doing justice to Joseph Conrad's novel.

Regards,

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I hope this becomes reality!!!!!!
    Along with Kubrick's Napoleon, this was my most anticipated film that was never made. For years I heard that Lean was going to film this but regretably he died right before filming. I was so disappointed, especially as it was going to star Brando. I'll keep my fingers crossed...hopefully Scorcese won't decide to film Mission Impossible 3 instead[​IMG]

5. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

I thought Aronofsky already signed on for M.I. III? Or was that Fincher? Whoever it weas, it wasn't Scorcese.

6. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Ben,

I believe it was Fincher. Artistically, I could see no reason why Scorsese would want to do a "Mission Impossible" film at this point (unless he needs the money for something).

Reg

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I was joking about Scorcese & MI3. It was a reference to Fincher, who got me excited about rumors of doing Rendezvous with Rama, but instead is doing MI3.

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I'll admit Jay, you got me there with the MI-3/Scorsese crack (not to mention concerned)!

I heard about the "Rama" project nearly three years ago. Perhaps Fincher needs a few more hits under his belt before a studio gives him the go ahead, hence the MI3 decision.

Reg

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Naw, I rather they try and raise David Lean's corpse from the grave. I'm probably the only member who talks about raising people from the dead here, and I've done it three times. [​IMG]

10. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator