What's new

Scorpion Releasing (new company that offers rare/obscure/campy flicks) (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks for the update Walter. So that's two titles on Scorpion Releasing's Coming Soon page being released early next year. Great stuff.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have checked on Amazon.com and they have a pre-order listing page for Quest for Love and Black Rodeo, including front cover artwork. The release date for both titles is 22nd February. Can't find anything for Legacy though.

Only three weeks away the releases, but the frustrating thing is Scorpion Releasing haven't updated their website in ages.

MikeDE

Second Unit
I'm really hoping they release Sextette soon so I can toss out the old full frame disc.

Mike

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Legacy is available to pre-order as well, also being released on 22nd February. There is front cover artwork up on Amazon.com DeepDiscount and AxelMusic. Is there a reason why Black Rodeo and Legacy are priced higher than Quest for Love?

Also, on AxelMusic, among the titles from Scorpion Releasing available for purchase on there, is Super Spook.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Are there any details yet about DVD extras for Quest for Love, Black Rodeo and Legacy?

walter o

Supporting Actor
looks like there is no extras on QUEST FOR LOVE, however BLACK RODEO has a commentary with director Jeff Kanew, and LEGACY has two audio commentaries, (one with director Karen Arthur, one with star Joan Hotchkis) and 3 on camera interviews and a still gallery.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by MikeDE
I'm really hoping they release Sextette soon so I can toss out the old full frame disc.

Mike

SEXTETTE has a street date of April 19.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by walter o
looks like there is no extras on QUEST FOR LOVE, however BLACK RODEO has a commentary with director Jeff Kanew, and LEGACY has two audio commentaries, (one with director Karen Arthur, one with star Joan Hotchkis) and 3 on camera interviews and a still gallery.

Disappointed with there being no extras on Quest for Love, and no interviews on the Black Rodeo disc. The Legacy DVD extras sound good. Hope there will be trailers for all three titles on their discs.
I searched for Super Spook on Amazon.com and found a listing for it. It says the distributor is Ryko Distribution. Are they the same as Scorpion Releasing? There was a trailer for Super Spook on I think the Who? disc. The release date for Super Spook on Amazon.com is 22nd November, 2010. But that is a Monday.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
DVD Beaver has a review for Quest for Love and Legacy on their website. Really interesting reads.

No review yet for Black Rodeo. Has any DVD reviews website reviewed Super Spook, being as it was released last November?

Also, in the DVD Beaver review for Quest for Love it mentions in the trailers list on the disc, a film called Changes. Now I've checked on the IMDb and found a film from 1969 called Changes. It looks like it's this one, because "Cinerama" was mentioned further down the page. Say Hello to Yesterday had the Cinerama Releasing logo shown at the beginning of the film.

Is there a release date yet for Changes (1969) and are there any DVD extras?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Have checked on the IMDb for a list of films distributed by Cinerama Releasing, and found the following in the list:

Black Rodeo
Follow Me
Fools
Georgia, Georgia
Goodbye Gemini
The Last Grenade
Say Hello to Yesterday.

I thought Cinerama Releasing distributed films in the UK. But it says on the IMDb that they only distributed films in the US. As they stopped distributing films in the mid-70's, were there no problems with acquiring the DVD rights to all of the films Cinerama Releasing distibuted theatrically in the US, which weren't already owned by other DVD distributors? There are loads on this list, and one which sounds interesting is Oliver Stone's directorial debut Seizure (1974).

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The trust that controls the Cinerama library only has a portion of the movies that they initially released. First off, you have to subtract all the films produced by ABC Motion Pictures and Selmur Productions, which are now owned by Disney and at last check are still licensed to MGM. All the films by Bing Crosby Productions (WALKING TALL, ARNOLD, MEAN DOG BLUES) are now owned by Paramount through their acquisition of Cox Cable; the long-wanted WILLARD and BEN are owned 50/50 by Paramount and the trust, so there's a lot of wrangling to be done before those get released. A few one-offs like HAMMERSMITH IS OUT and SEIZURE have reverted to their original producers.

Thus, Scorpion (distributed by ADA/Ryko) and Code Red (distributed by Navarre) have split up the remainder of the library. I'm sure there are a few titles yet to be announced, but for the most part, if you cross reference your IMDb Cinerama list with the IMDb lists for those labels, you will be able to deduce what's likely to come from the licensing deal.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Scorpion Releasing's disc for Legacy (1975) is among their best. The presentation of the film has been done well, along with the DVD sleeve design and artwork.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
There is front cover artwork up on AxelMusic for Sextette and I Want What I Want, which are both being released on Tuesday 19th April. No artwork up yet on Amazon.com.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
AxelMusic's name has now changed to PlanetAxel. Secondly, there is now larger front cover artwork up on Amazon.com for Sextette and I Want What I Want. The release date for both titles is still Tuesday 19th April.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Being as Mafu Cage (1977) and Legacy (1975) have been released by Scorpion Releasing, would they be able to acquire the rights to another of director Karen Arthur's films Lady Beware (1987), or does another distributor own the rights to it?

Is there any chance of getting interviews with Lisa Hartman and Lynn Holly Johnson for Where the Boys Are (1984), and any interviews for Georgia Georgia (1972)?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
The trust that controls the Cinerama library only has a portion of the movies that they initially released. First off, you have to subtract all the films produced by ABC Motion Pictures and Selmur Productions, which are now owned by Disney and at last check are still licensed to MGM. All the films by Bing Crosby Productions (WALKING TALL, ARNOLD, MEAN DOG BLUES) are now owned by Paramount through their acquisition of Cox Cable; the long-wanted WILLARD and BEN are owned 50/50 by Paramount and the trust, so there's a lot of wrangling to be done before those get released. A few one-offs like HAMMERSMITH IS OUT and SEIZURE have reverted to their original producers.

Thus, Scorpion (distributed by ADA/Ryko) and Code Red (distributed by Navarre) have split up the remainder of the library. I'm sure there are a few titles yet to be announced, but for the most part, if you cross reference your IMDb Cinerama list with the IMDb lists for those labels, you will be able to deduce what's likely to come from the licensing deal.
Started cross referencing the lists on the IMDb. Below is a list of films which are left over:

To Commit a Murder (1967) - stars Louis Jourdan
If He Hollers, Let Him Go! (1968) - stars Dana Wynter and Kevin McCarthy
The Great Sex War (1969) - stars James Franciscus
Changes (1969) - Scorpion Releasing or Code Red?
Change of Mind (1969) - stars Raymond St. Jacques, Leslie Nielsen and Donnelly Rhodes
Le Boucher (1970)
Vollendung der Liebestechnik (1970)
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (1970)
Roller Derby (1971)
My Old Man's Place (1971)
Puppet on a Chain (1971) - this has been shown on BBC1 a couple of times in recent years
Soul to Soul (1971)
The Trojan Women (1971)
Kill! (1971)
No Drums, No Bugles (1972).

Shout! Factory are mentioned on the IMDb company credits page for How to Commit a Marriage (1969).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Continuing on from list started in previous post:

The Assassination of Trotsky (1972)
L'aventure, c'est l'aventure (1972)
Hammersmith Is Out (1972)
Parades (1972)
Necromancy (1972)
Black Girl (1972)
Fen nu qing nian (1972)
La isla misteriosa (1973)
Your Three Minutes Are Up (1973)
The Pedestrian (1973)
Marco (1973)
Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World (1973)
Seizure (1974)
How to Seduce a Woman (1974)
Catch My Soul (1974)
The Spectre of Edgar Allen Poe (1974)
Dark Places (1974)
Sunday in the Country (1974).

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Upon looking at the "leftovers":

DERBY already got a release from Code Red;
THE ASSASSINATION OF TROTSKY was acquired by Republic Pictures, so it's at Paramount;
SOUL TO SOUL reverted to Atlantic Records - there was a VHS release but I've seen no DVD, probably too expensive to clear;
KILL and L'AVENTURE C'EST L'AVENTURE are owned by StudioCanal;
LE BOUCHER was released by Pathfinder in a non-anamorphic transfer;
DIGBY reverted to the Walter Shenson estate;

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks Mark for replying to the list of "leftovers" from the Cinerama Releasing list on the IMDb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks