Scorpion King--subtitles not in sync with audio dialogue?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TonyTone, Oct 3, 2002.

1. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Maybe it's my DVD player (Toshiba SD-1600)--either it's starting to go bad or it doesn't like my copy, but while watching The Scorpion King with English subtitles turned on via DVD menu, I find that the subtitles aren't in sync with the audible dialogue--sometimes they are about two to three seconds behind audio, for a duration of a few lines of dialogue. It doesn't happen too frequently, but frequently enough that it becomes a bit of an amusing annoyance. I don't think that it's my player since I don't seem to get that problem with any of my other DVD movies.

Anyone else get (English) subtitle sync problems with Scorpion King?

2. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Tony, give me a specific section of The Scorpion King (maybe a 1 - 2 minute segment) where this occurs on yours and I'll gladly check on my copy.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Tony,

I had the same thing on a few scenes, especially early on in the movie. I had the director's commentary track on along with the English subs and thought that was why. My player is a Panny CP-72, so I don't think this is a player related problem.

4. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Jeremy--I can't think of a specific part (time-wise) but I do recollect that I first noticed it sometime after Rock first sees Kelly Hu in the tent--not saying that that's exactly when it happens but I do remember that some of the sync issues occured in scenes where both were in the scene. I hadn't really considered replaying the offending parts again after noticing it the first time to see if it happened in the same places consistently; if I have the time, I'll watch it again...[​IMG]
    Steve--I can't speak for the director's commentary track; what I mean is that when I was watching the movie, I was running the DD5.1 track with no commentary turned on but with English subtitles on (again, subs turned on via DVD menu). In any case, it seems that there may be a minor issue, but what do I know...[​IMG]

5. Joe RZ

Joe RZ Stunt Coordinator

Also happens with the Spanish subtitles.I have a Sony player.