What's new

Scored a pair of Paradigm Studio 40's for $400!! (1 Viewer)

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
I was at a local dealer yesterday buying a Rotel RMB-1066 amp when I noticed a pair of Studio 40's in Light Cherry laminate (Mint condition). I casually asked how much they guy wanted for them. He said $400. After I picked my jaw up off the floor I walked out with a new amp and a pair of Studio 40's for $1,000!

Now the dillemma... I already have Studio 60's and a Studio CC up front. Very happy with those. I originally bought these 40's because I figured I could easily unload them for about $650-$700 on eBay. But now I am wondering whether I should use these as surrounds. Would that be overkill?? One other problem is that I'm not sure how I would mount these heavy suckers. Wall mounting isn't an option given their size and weight and I'm concerned about placing them on stands because I'd be concerned about my kids knocking them over.

So what would you guys do??? I'm thinking that Studio-ADP's are the ideal solution for my surrounds but it does'nt seem to make sense to pay $800 retail for those when I just got an incredible deal for speakers that cost $1,000 new.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Hey congrats, that's a good deal!

I have my studio 40's mounted on the wall for surrounds! My site doesn't have picks of those, but I could take some for you.

Basically what I did is built a shelf (be sure to hit studs!) and lied them on their sides on the shelf. They work AMAZING in this configuration they provide A LOT of surround ambiance as well as directionality, I'm pleased with the results.

I used the metal bracket type shelf support that locks into a rail on the wall. I used a 16" deep shelve 24" wide. This gives you plenty of room behind the speaker. And with a bit of blue ticky-tac, I don't expect the speaker to go anywhere! I put them pretty high up, about 6.5'.

Your other option may be to trade the 40's for some ADP's, you never know someone may be interested. But I would keep them.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! I would love to see pics of your setup. The tricky thing for me is that the way my room is configured, I only have one wall (on the right side) in my listening area. The other wall is about 15 feet to the left. What I may do is use your idea to mount the right surround and then buy a small bookcase like this.... http://www.target.com/common/catalog...sh&navCount=18 to place the left surround.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
I use 40's for my mains, and 40's for my rears. Hardly overkill, incredible for SACD and DVD-A playback. I have all 4 on stands.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I think you guys convinced me. I will probably hang onto the 40's. I will just have to get creative with how I set them up. Laying them down horizontally on shelves does not sound like a bad idea at all.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, you suck! And I mean that in the nicest possible way. I have been searching the web recently for a pair of 20's to complete a 7.1 system and I cannot find a pair for less than $500. And here you are getting a pair of 40's for $100 less than that. Very jealous my man.

By the way....IMO, dipole surrounds are highly overrated. Good direct radiators in normal room environments will provide plenty of ambient surround sound if positioned properly. Plus they work better for the multichannel high rez music formats (SACD, DVD-A). I say keep 'em!

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Evan,

I know how you feel. I was recently following a Studio 20 auction on eBay. They ended up selling for about $450 as I recall. The nice thing about Paradigm speakers (if you're an owner) is that they hold their resale value real well! As tempting as it is for me to put these up for auction and put some spare change in my pocket, I think I would be hard pressed to find as nice a speaker as the S-40's to use as surrounds.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I'm using 4 Studio-40 all around, and the sound is awesome for DVD-Audio. Don't want to spoil your fun, but I paid 600$ Cdn a pair, so around 400$ US a pair, and it's the regular price (after a little haggling) here. AL

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Levesque-

I did'nt know Paradigms were THAT cheap in Canada!!! Well, at least I saved myself gas and tolls. I'm a pretty good ways away from the border.

How do you have your rear speakers mounted? On stands at ear level or did you elevate them somehow? And if you bought stands, which ones did you go with.

Thanks.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, being in Mansfield Mass, you are a lot closer to the border than I am...and I've gotten every piece of HT gear I have up north in Montreal.

Anthem AVM-20
Anthem MCA-5
Paradigm REF CC, 40's and 20's

The ride blows...but it's worth it.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
John, that bookshelf is only 12" wide, it MAY work but remember the speaker is 21.5" tall / long. The good thing about them on their side is they are MUCH more stable that way. ;)
Levesque: Not sure how you get them THAT cheap, you must be really good :) I got mine for $850 or something. How much is a CC? I paid $1 for mine after paying $850 for the 40's, it was part of the deal. So I still think I got a good deal, but $600 is cheap!

Levesque

Supporting Actor
James. I've paid 400$ Cdn for my Studio-cc.

John. I've build myself a square (rectangular) wood boxe of 2 feet high,fill it with sand, and put the Studio-40 + Premier stand (J-50??)filled with sand to, directly on it. I've used the same color as the rest of the furniture on those 2 boxes. So WAF is happy... And it look like original furniture, because I've done the same molding as the rest. Really stable and childproof. Will post them soon (digital camera coming)...

I decided to elevated them because of the dolby site that is suggesting 2 to 3 feet higher then ear level, and I'm like 70% film and 30% music. For DVD-Audio, I didn't really see a difference between this configuration and the ear level one, after trying both... I think it's best of both world that way. But it is a matter of personnal taste.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
John..

Good deal on the 40's.

$700 US for New Studio 40's in the past month. Best deal I could get without driving to the border. Congratulations on your new addition. Keep those puppies.

Also for a reference center.. $420 US

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
John

I live south of Boston and I know the Mansfield area pretty well. Who was the dealer in Mansfield?

If the 40's were like new I'm surprised that the dealer sold them so cheaply. Last September I paid $560 for shielded 20's in black laminate so you got an incredible deal.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Barry,

The dealer was Audio Concepts in Attleboro. They are not a Paradigm dealer and that is why I got the kind of deal that I did. Some kid had come in and traded the Studio 40's in for a pair of B&W Nautilus and the dealer was just eager to get rid of them. Sometimes it really pays to hunt around for deals like this! Another shop to keep an eye on is Spearit Sound. They have some killer deals on used audio gear which they list on their website. Their retail locations are in Northampton and Boston.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks