1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Scorcese educates the masses?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Cook, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

I recall that, a few months ago, Martin Scorcese was supposed to go on some kind of public education campaign to tell people about OAR. He was supposed to take films like Lawrence of Arabia, Cleopatra, etc. and show people how terrible they look when the 2.35:1 (or bigger) image is squeezed to 1.33:1.
    That sounded like a good idea to me, but I can't remember who was sponsoring this or how he was going to get the message out. Was he going to sit in front of Blockbuster with a couple TVs? Do some kind of PSA? Go door-to-door with discs and VHS tapes? Who knows.
    Anyone else out there remember this and know whatever happened to it?
    You know who should really bring the message to the masses--George Lucas. Say what you will about TPM, but I give him credit for not releasing a FS version on DVD. I'm sure some people are wondering why they have to put up with those black bars if they want to watch TPM on their DVD player. He should do an interview and explain why, or there should be a statement from him on a sign with the TPM displays in stores, or something.
    The bottom line is that this is a huge release, and he's a guy who can command a lot of attention. He obviously cares about OAR, so he should say something publicly about it.
    - Brad

2. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I agree with you that Lucas should do an education of OAR. I always thought it was interesting that if you bought the widescreen releases of his movies, you always got something extra. For instance, on the widescreen versions of the triology SE, you get the awesome trailers for the films as shown in the theater. I still get shivers to this day when I see those trailers. The P&S owners got nothing more than the interview (which, by the way, after you've seen it once or twice you always have to fast forward... I can't wait for the DVDs). I always loved this idea that the true fans got something extra. Just look at what he did for TPM widescreen on VHS... a plethora of lil goodies. Anyway, it would be nice to have someone that can gain real attention do this. Martin would be nice, Lucas would be better (ie a larger audience and no reflection on directorial taste.
    -Brad
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga
    [Edited last by Brad_W on October 17, 2001 at 09:04 PM]

3. Jonathan Trueh

Last night my fiancee was watching TCM and lo and behold there was a 15 minute filler spot the explanied the benefits of OAR!!!! I was stunned. Directors like Ron Howard, Scorcese and a few others. Short sweet and to the point. I wish we could run that loop in Best Buy and Block Buster.

4. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I was also alerted on another thread to an education of OAR on the Die Hard 5-star set. I finally got around to watching my copy today and it's awesome. They show a scene from the movie, then they do the zoom-in, then they do the pan and scan, THEN they show the widescreen again. Very influential for those that don't know about OAR. They should have more of this stuff on DVDs.
    ------------------
    "I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
    My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
    My List O' DVDs:
    http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=meshuga