scooter or motorcycle?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Christ Reynolds, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'll be buying a new car in a month or two, and instead of driving that everywhere i need to go, i thought of getting a scooter, or maybe a motorcycle. i really dont want to put a ton of miles on a new car, and the bike/scooter would get much better mileage.

the massachusetts RMV cannot give me a straight answer about what is considered a moped or a scooter. their website doesnt help much either, and gives conflicting information. anyway...i need something that can travel 50 or more, that can be driven at night (waiting on the RMV to give me a straight answer), highway use is not necessary.

for a scooter, the honda ruckus is about $2k, and it's the only scooter that i actually like the look of. i dont mind looking like a wimp while riding a scooter, but i think the ruckus is actually cool looking. but a little too slow, ive read the top speed is under 45. or what about this? i'm not crazy about its looks, but it goes fast enough for me.

for a bike, i thought about getting the honda rebel. it's a small, starter bike, but still a real bike. normally i wouldnt consider a real bike, but it's only a little over $3k. also, how loud is a small bike like that? i hate loud bikes.

the benefit of getting a scooter is: no insurance necessary, and it's cheaper. benefit of a real bike: highway use, and fast enough to go on the roads i need to. what do you guys think? anyone have a scooter or a small bike they like?

CJ

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Its a 250, its not very loud. Honda hasn't really "updated" them in about 30 years, you can find a good condition used bike (with low miles) for about 2/3's of new. Constant demand for 'starter bikes' keep Rebels from depreciating much below $2000. But every Japanese company has made, or is still making 250's. So if you don't find the Rebel of your dreams, you might find a Virago, Ninja or an Eliminator you like.

I'd get the bike over a scooter because you Can take it on the main roads if you needed to. A scooter is pretty useless if you wanted to try the new thai joint next town over.

3. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Second Unit

Christ, I'm a Kawasaki guy. I drive a Vulcan 1600 Nomad almost everywhere I go, now. I've put more miles on it in five months than I have put on my pickup in nine...and that includes driving from Albuquerque to Anoka, MN to pick it up.

The Rebel is a real bike, and not a loud bike, but most find bikes of that displacement size to be underpowered. If you like the cruiser style, I would look for a Vulcan 500 or 750, or maybe a Suzuki Savage, which is 650cc. I would also go to cycletrader.com and look at what $2,000 will get you in New England. Also look at the paper the same way. Search for anything up to $3k, and you might find someone willing to deal. Not long ago, there was a Kawasaki Concours in the Albuquerque area for $2500...quite a bargain. It had saddlebags and a trunk, fairing, etc. When I consider the difference between riding a used Concourse vs. a new scooter...well, I know which way I would go. BTW, pretty much nothing made in Japan is going to be loud. My 1600cc V-twin has a low rumble, but I sometimes find it embarassingly quiet when I am riding with Harley guys.

Outside of the big-bore V-twins like mine, you are going to get pretty phenominal mileage. Though truthfully, I get highway mileage on par with a Prius, and I guarantee you I am having more fun riding than anyone ever had driving a Prius. [​IMG] When I fill the tank (premium required), I am spending $12 at most. [​IMG]

For sheer retro fun, the Kawasaki W650 can't be beat, but good luck finding one at a good price. Bikes like that make me wish China would enter the U.S. motorcycle market, as they make these kinds of bikes brand new from old Japanese designs.

One thing that you can do on a bike that you can't do on a scooter is pleasure touring. You might not think that it holds much appeal, but the first time you head out with some friends on bikes and you get a taste of the wide-open vistas of the American countryside, you will be so glad you took the plunge. (And trust me, you will want more than 250ccs to do it.)

Insurance won't be much. I pay very little for my new Vulcan, and it was pricey as these bikes go. But do be sure and take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider's course. It is good information.

Good luck, and welcome to biking!

[​IMG]
    Saddled up, and ready to ride...

[​IMG]
    San Juan N.F., north of Durango, CO

4. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    It would have to be a Motorcycle...I ain't for sale! [​IMG]

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

DOH!

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    It's too bad the cost of owning a motorcycle in the province of Quebec is about to skyrocket. I was hoping to take it up as a hobby. Alas, I'm now grounded to scooters less than 50cc... [​IMG]

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Better check with you local DMV about that "benefit" you list for the scooter. Scooters are usually licensed and insured as motorcycles in most states. (Notice the license plate mounting bracket and full ighting on the scooters in the ebay link). People ride them without tags and/or insurance, but it's almost always technically illegal to do so. Also, are you sure you don't want insurance? What if you get in some kind of accident (knock on wood). It's a nice thing to have, trust me. I wouldn't ride on a motorized vehicle without it.

Check out the Suzuki Burgman 400. A highway-ridable scooter. The Burgman will do much better than the Rebel on the highway.

And sign up for your local Motorcycle Safety Foundationcourse.

8. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I have a honda helix scooter, 250 cc, it will do a little over 70 flat out and I do ride it on the highways once in awhile with no problems, they have a "trunk" in the back that will hold most helmets and are reliable as it gets, in town I get about 60 mpg but you will do better as I weigh 400 pounds and have a really tall windshield on mine

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

the benefit of getting a scooter is: no insurance necessary, and it's cheaper.
    Not sure why you believe this but if it's highway legal you need insurance.
    Scooters are great for short distances around a city.
    They ride very different than a cycle and most of the controls are hand & not foot.
    I had a Lambretta for many years.... it even got in a film or 2 when they needed a 'Quadrophenia-esque' scooter for a shoot.
    It was 2 stroke 4 speed kick starter which now a days is pretty rare.
    When I was going to school I lived across the street from some Hells Angels and at 1st I thought I was going to die.
    I'd catch them staring at it and scratching their head and I think they liked it since it was louder than their Hogs and wasn't made of plastic.

As for the DMV their is no differnce between a cycle and a scooter. I had a motorcycle license even though I never drove one and the question on the test had nothing to do with how to operate a scooter. I memorimized stuff on MCs to pass the test and that's about it.
    I think one ofd the good thing about scooters is they don't have the speed to tempt you and turn you into hamburger helper that many novices tend to do.

An older friend of mind is waiting for a kidney transplant and the number of kidneys have skyrocketed with gas going up and new motorcycle riders.
    Good for him; but new kidneys don't grow on trees
    Good Luck

10. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

In Ohio, anything that is over 50 cc, can go faster than 20 mph, and does not have pedals is a motorcycle as far as the state in concerned, you need a license and insurance
    "scooter" usually means a step through frame, "motorcycle" means you have to swing your leg over the bike, but for hte most part, they are all legally motorcycles for licenseing and insurance purposes

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I think it's pretty much the same everywhere.

12. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler