What's new

Scooby-doo lost episodes (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by Ethan Riley

Yeah, i am not a big fan on the scooby-doo that preceded the old scoobyy-doo show, especially scrappy doo. I do have the richie rich hour, which does have scrappy doo.

The best scooby-doo was the original show 1969-1970. The new scooby-doo was ok, because it had 10000 Volt Ghost and introduced Scooby-dum. However, there are mistakes with Scooby-Dum, because a few episodes say he is scooby's cousing another episode says they are cousins. My question is our they cousin or brothers? Enquiring minds want to know!!

Enquiring minds also want to know what on earth you meant by the following: "a few episodes say he is scooby's cousing another episode says they are cousins." Whaaat? Seriously--I think they settled on the fact that Dum was his country cousin. I am not a fan of either Dum or Scrappy--introducing another dog onto that show made Scooby have to play second fiddle to those two. Scooby was always reduced to playing the "straight dog" because those other two were just...so...hysterical. I didn't even like it when Dynomutt stole Scooby's thunder in that crossover episode. Scooby's a one-dog show...he didn't need another pound puppy to help him do his thing. And I also think those Scooby relatives were inspired by Shaggy, who dreamed them up in a pot-induced haze. You know what they say: people who are smoking pot come up with great ideas...and when they come down from their high, those same ideas just seem stupid.

I also wish WB would unvault other stuff that nobody ever really mentions...stuff like Clue Club, Captain Caveman, Jabberjaw...and on and on. Was any animation studio more prolific than Hanna Barbera in the 70s. Uh...nope! I grew up in the 70s...didn't know I was living in the Golden Age of tv animation.

[/QUOTE]

There is an episode from headless horsman where scooby-dum is refer to has scooby-doo's brother. In other episodes he is refer to as his cousin.

I was in 1968 and grew up when saturday morning cartoons matter. HB/Filmation/Kroft own saturday mornings from 730 am until 12pm. 12pm is when american bandstand came on, lol. I would remember getting up and eating bowl of cereal and watched cartoons. The only problem is that i had two brothers so we fought over the shows to watch.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Scooby Dum only made two or three appearances in The Scooby-Doo Show, so I guess it was easy for a continuity error to crop in as they were still experimenting with the character.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Best bet for the Scooby-Doo Movies is that they will issue a archive release as a volume 2 of the missing episodes of the movies sometime in the future so no reason not to get the current set. They have enough Hanna-Barbera left to release for another 6-7 years plus with those episodes 1 hour each and the current set 4 discs it would take a 7 disc set for all which is extremely unlikely as it would be too expensive so if they are released it will be as set 2.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If they didn't think it was financially worthwhile to acquire these licenses several years ago for a general retail release, I'm not sure I see them doing such now for a burn on demand online program.

Still, I don't think it's out of the question that they'd revisit this and do it right down the road. They're certainly doing all they can to milk this franchise on DVD (Which is why I think we're all puzzled that there are 8 episodes only available through online downloading/streaming services and not on DVD), so I don't think revisiting it is completely out of the question.

Hopefully they at least release a two movie standalone DVD set with the Josie & The Pussycats and Addams Family movies now that they've acquired those licenses. Will get us a bit closer to getting these last few movies and tv episodes out there finally and be something worthwhile for the fans to pick up.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

If they didn't think it was financially worthwhile to acquire these licenses several years ago for a general retail release, I'm not sure I see them doing such now for a burn on demand online program.

Still, I don't think it's out of the question that they'd revisit this and do it right down the road. They're certainly doing all they can to milk this franchise on DVD (Which is why I think we're all puzzled that there are 8 episodes only available through online downloading/streaming services and not on DVD), so I don't think revisiting it is completely out of the question.

Hopefully they at least release a two movie standalone DVD set with the Josie & The Pussycats and Addams Family movies now that they've acquired those licenses. Will get us a bit closer to getting these last few movies and tv episodes out there finally and be something worthwhile for the fans to pick up.

The only reason I can think of (why those 8 Scooby-Doos, not to mention 4 Dynomutts were not released) is that they may have been held back for a Laff-A-Lympics set. Otherwise it made no sense not to include them on the Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt set. (Of course, I don't know what the WB people were thinking or planning, but I'm guessing.) Then everything tanked, and the Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo set was only a "Season 1/Volume 1." Also, it may be that when it came down to planning a Laff-A-Lympics set, maybe they didn't have any records of which segments went where, with which other segments. But who knows?

Aren't the Laff-A-Lympics half-hours on those two DVDs the same ones that were released on VHS years ago?

A side note -- I caught some of Scooby And Scrappy-Doo over the weekend...I never watched it originally, but for the first season ones, aren't the closings actually from Laff-A-Lympics? At least the visual portion? Some of those shows as re-cobbled together into half-hours on Boomerang are a mess, Frankensteined from different shows. I've lost track of what's what, but I've read that "Mystery Island" (from The Skatebirds) ended up as part of Captain Caveman, whose Boomerang reruns use the video of one show's closing credits and the audio of another. (I think one of them is C.B. Bears?) The Skatebirds did air for a couple years in a half-hour format (Sunday mornings on CBS a few years after the show originally ended on Saturday mornings) and they included "Mystery Island." The Robonic Stooges aired as a separate half-hour, now retitled The Three Robonic Stooges (and the individual cartoons' titles were changed to reflect this), with two in each show and "Woofer & Whimper, Dog Detectives" as the middle segment. I hadn't watched The Skatebirds in its brief original one-hour run so I wasn't that familiar with the show -- I don't remember "Wonder Wheels" but it must have ended up in the Skatebirds half-hours on CBS (I did see a few of those but don't remember them well). Prior to Boomerang, I don't remember the Captain Caveman half-hours including anything other than Captain Caveman, but I could be wrong.

I wonder if when it came time to create these various half-hours, if some of the show openings/closings and/or their audio tracks were missing or unlabeled/unidentifiable?

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Originally Posted by Mark Y

The only reason I can think of (why those 8 Scooby-Doos, not to mention 4 Dynomutts were not released) is that they may have been held back for a Laff-A-Lympics set. Otherwise it made no sense not to include them on the Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt set. (Of course, I don't know what the WB people were thinking or planning, but I'm guessing.) Then everything tanked, and the Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo set was only a "Season 1/Volume 1." Also, it may be that when it came down to planning a Laff-A-Lympics set, maybe they didn't have any records of which segments went where, with which other segments. But who knows?

It is a puzzle.

When they released "the scooby-doo/dynomutt HOUR" in the syndicated versions, it sort of made me think they don't have the original openings and closings. But the fact that they didn't release the other 4 on the set made me think they had another plan to release those episodes eventually, but as you say, how?

They did a great job with the Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo show, that is a much better format than watching a bunch of shorts all in a row. They blend nicely into a 1hour block. That's how they should have gone ahead with Laff-a-Lympics, but as you said, they may have planned that out, and then with the sales of DVD dropping and the economy making them reconsider the expense of the restoration and the assembly into an expensive or more elaborate Laff-a-Lympics multi disk set, they may have just decided to do the stand alone syndicated Laff-a-Lympics disks, and that leaves the Dynomutt content orphaned. The 8 scooby's could see their own 2 disc release.

Who knows what will come next. I guess Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels will come out, possibly on the MOD archive, but those shows are 11 minutes, and it isn't the greatest experience watching a bunch of those back-to-back. It makes more sense to put together 8 Laff-a-lympics full blocks using the unreleased material. The 4 Dynomutt shows from that season are two part 11minute "cliff-hangers" and they could be split into 8 shows. Double up two of the Captain Caveman episodes per show, and the 16 of those fit into 8 shows. There are 8 more Laff-a-lymic episodes left too.

Here's how you could reassemble all 4 components of the original Laff-a-Lymics shows and get all the remaining 1977 content into 8 Laff-a-lympic blocks on one set:

8 Blue Falcon and Dynomtt ( 4 episodes split into 2)

16 captain caveman ( put 2 on each show)
8 scooby-doo

8 Laff-a-lympics (the first 8 are on the single sets already out, and 8 are still to come)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by derosa

It is a puzzle.

When they released "the scooby-doo/dynomutt HOUR" in the syndicated versions, it sort of made me think they don't have the original openings and closings. But the fact that they didn't release the other 4 on the set made me think they had another plan to release those episodes eventually, but as you say, how?

They did a great job with the Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo show, that is a much better format than watching a bunch of shorts all in a row. They blend nicely into a 1hour block. That's how they should have gone ahead with Laff-a-Lympics, but as you said, they may have planned that out, and then with the sales of DVD dropping and the economy making them reconsider the expense of the restoration and the assembly into an expensive or more elaborate Laff-a-Lympics multi disk set, they may have just decided to do the stand alone syndicated Laff-a-Lympics disks, and that leaves the Dynomutt content orphaned. The 8 scooby's could see their own 2 disc release.

Who knows what will come next. I guess Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels will come out, possibly on the MOD archive, but those shows are 11 minutes, and it isn't the greatest experience watching a bunch of those back-to-back. It makes more sense to put together 8 Laff-a-lympics full blocks using the unreleased material. The 4 Dynomutt shows from that season are two part 11minute "cliff-hangers" and they could be split into 8 shows. Double up two of the Captain Caveman episodes per show, and the 16 of those fit into 8 shows. There are 8 more Laff-a-lymic episodes left too.

Here's how you could reassemble all 4 components of the original Laff-a-Lymics shows and get all the remaining 1977 content into 8 Laff-a-lympic blocks on one set:

8 Blue Falcon and Dynomtt ( 4 episodes split into 2)

16 captain caveman ( put 2 on each show)
8 scooby-doo

8 Laff-a-lympics (the first 8 are on the single sets already out, and 8 are still to come)

[/QUOTE]

What you're describing would probably work fine -- although you'd get some people complaining that they were "forced" to buy all these other cartoons they don't want in order to get the rest of Scooby-Doo -- but the way WB went about doing most of the Hanna-Barbera sets (at least as long as Earl Kress was involved) was at least to have some semblance or pretense of presenting things as they originally aired -- even to the point of repeating certain cartoons on the Huckleberry Hound set, because they were repeated over the course of the season during their original run. In the original run of Laff-A-Lympics, new Scooby-Doo and Dynomutt segments played alongside repeats of earlier episodes. Which ones, in what order? I have no idea, and I doubt anyone else does either, unless there is some official record of each week's show rundowns (speculative internet lists don't count). Can we assume that all the "new" ones were shown first, followed by reruns? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. At one point the show was two hours long, then it was later cut down to 90 minutes -- but if what you're describing above uses up everything that's left over, then I'm with you!

How can it be that the original masters of The Banana Splits Adventure Hour were cut to ribbons, while the complete one-hour Cattanooga Cats shows look pristine on Boomerang? (I suppose the fact that the latter was never syndicated in the US might have something to do with it, although they were cut into half-hours for later Sunday morning network repeats.)

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
From the looking around i've done ( the copyright office: http://cocatalog.loc.gov )
Has the air dates of the Scooby Episodes, and the Laff-a-lympic Episodes, and those

match the wikipedia listings, but the Blue Falcon and Dynomutt are missing, and the

Captain Caveman are listed in 1989, obviously in some sort of syndication form.

I need to do more research. I'd like to find out for sure if 2 shorts of Captain Caveman

aired in each block of laff-a-lympics. I can't figure out how it adds to 2 hours without that fact.

Originally Posted by Mark Y

In the original run of Laff-A-Lympics, new Scooby-Doo and Dynomutt segments played alongside repeats of earlier episodes. Which ones, in what order? I have no idea, and I doubt anyone else does either, unless there is some official record of each week's show rundowns (speculative internet lists don't count). Can we assume that all the "new" ones were shown first, followed by reruns? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
It looks like 1 of the 8 "lost" epsiodes, The Ozark Witch Switch, is being released on a compilation entitled "Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales Around The World" to be released on May 15th: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Scooby-All-Stars-13-Spooky-Tales-Around-The-World/16417 I just wish they would release all 8 "lost" episodes on a single DVD release rather than releasing them piecemeal; it's really frustrating for those of us looking to complete our classic Scooby-Doo collection! Darby

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
One of those 8 episodes was included in one of the single disc collections put out 10 years ago. http://www.amazon.com/Scooby-Doos-Spookiest-Tales-Scooby-Doo/dp/B00005J6UQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326909852&sr=1-2

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Albert_M said:
One of those 8 episodes was included in one of the single disc collections put out 10 years ago. http://www.amazon.com/Scooby-Doos-Spookiest-Tales-Scooby-Doo/dp/B00005J6UQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1326909852&sr=1-2
All 8 of them are still available on iTunes... while most of us members here continue to wait for a DVD release, that may never come. At some point we have to decide if we want to watch the shows, or own the discs....

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I don't use Itunes (and actually dislike it). I don't watch much on a computer, don't own a tablet and am not situated where I can set up streaming on my tv yet, so for me, discs are it, unless it goes On Demand etc. At some point, I will make more sense for more people to download.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If by chance you (Not too likely you would in this subsection of the forum) or a child of yours has a Playstation 3 or Xbox 360, these 8 episodes are available for download on both systems. I've purchased them on the video marketplace for the Xbox 360. I'd prefer retail disc, but this was better than nothing and I'm able to watch them on my television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks