Scissor Sisters vs. TransWorld Entertainment

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jay_B!, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I am NOT a Scissor Sisters fan, but I am definately on their side with this issue

Honestly, I think it's kinda petty. It's about time an artist attacked pricing points instead of the consumers. I wonder how much different the music industry would be now if Lar$ Ulrich had been half as passionate about "I really think it's a load of bull that our albums still retail for $18.99, that's highway robbery man. Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning cost more to own now than they did when they were new, wtf is up with that?" as he was about "you download Enter Sandman, and you're going down". Like it or not, FYE and co. do charge too much for music, who would buy a CD from them when they can find the same thing for $5 cheaper at Best Buy or Amazon.com or whatever else. It's time an artist came out against CD pricing points because CD pricing points led to illegal downloading in the first place, sorry but it's a fact.

An on-sale price at FYE is generally more than what regular prices are at Best Buy

2. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Jake Shears will be happy to know that I supported him, his band and the EXCELLENT new CD by buying it at Target for a VERY impressive $10!!!!

3. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

The legions of teens who get dropped off at the Mall with money, but don't have a car to drive to Best Buy on their own.
    Those mall stores are the music industry's equivalent of $8 beer at the baseball game. Captive audience.

4. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I honestly wonder if this boycott is only because it's Scissor Sisters, while they are huge in Europe and have a pretty big cult following in the states, it's not like they're expected to sell millions so they're not really cutting a lot of lost sales by not carrying their cd. I wonder if FYE would do a mass blacklisting if someone like Justin Timberlake or Beyonce or someone of that ilk came out and said the same thing? I highly doubt it, they sell too many albums for them to take the high road and boycott them.

Honestly, instead of boycotting Scissor Sisters albums, why not just take what Jake said seriously and ponder "you know, maybe he's right"?

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Admirable, but the people they should be complaining to are the record labels, not the stores. The labels have been setting the list price of most CDs at $18.99 for the past few years, which is absolutely ridiculous. Stores like Musicland sell most of their stuff at list price, so that's what they're charging now; they could price them lower if the record labels woke up and lowered their prices!

6. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

I bought their brilliant new record for $6.99 with a coupon at Newbury Comics, my favorite independent record chain. Take that FYE!

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Not $20!! They're 19.99!

Petty, petty, petty. [​IMG]

And if it helps any, UMG is one of the few companies that HAS been trying to lower prices. Hasn't anyone else seen those slightly older CDs (from the early to mid 90s) from major artists like Beck, U2, etc, priced from $8 to $10? And all those Millenium Collection CDs from 7 to $9. Hate to sound like a shill but if we're going to bitch about the music companies when they screw up (which I have done here myself very often) if they do something right, well, might as well give them some credit for that too.

The thing is, they need to start working on lowering prices on newer releases too.