What's new

SciFi's M. Night documentary (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
Does anyone think this is a real documentary?

To me it just screams PROMOTIONAL and staged.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I read an article on Cinescape and it looks like it's real. Sci-fi started doing an interview with Shymalan but apparently the interview went the "wrong" way and Shymalan did not want to participate in it anymore. Sci-fi kept on filming the documentary anyway and they're airing the whole thing: some parts with Shymalan's participation and some without.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Bah, they aren't getting my nine bucks if they are going to pull cheap sensationalist crap like this. I'll rent the DVD if the film comes highly recommended.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Seems that they tried to do a little Blair Witch with this but got carried away.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I think this was a brilliant move. Why did they decide to give up that it was fake before it aired? Too much negative publicity about this?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

What I meant was that it was an attempt to add an air of mythos & mystery to the film. They just got caught prematurely.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I knew the moment it was fake I read an article about Night trying to shut it down because it was to expose some hidden secret of his. I find it funny that he's resorting to those old Blair Witch tactics to promote his film.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
This sucks. Why come clean before the documentary aired? This takes away from the enjoyment of it now that I know it's all fake.

Blu

Screenwriter
Now I know why they came clean before the documentary aired.
You can tell it is set up. You can tell the lines were improv but the actors were given a direction to go. It isn't very good and once you saw it you would know it was faked.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I watched about 20 minutes of it and thought it was too stupid to waste my time with.

Can I get those 20 minutes back?

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
I saw the "oh no, there's a bird loose in the house" part of the show while channel surfing.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I wanted to watch this, but forgot it was airing. Will it be re-shown? For those who saw it, what is the whole deal? What is it supposed to be, even though fake? What exactly is fake?

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I passed on this last night. To me, watching this after its nature was exposed would have been like watching a taped sporting event after finding out who won.

Still looking forward to The Village.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I Tivo'd it with high hopes, but within 10 minutes, I could tell it was an incredibly stupid Blair wWitch style rip off....Sad that they had to spend THREE HOURS to tell their "tale"

Oh and yes I did watch, but thankfully I could FF through most of it.

The worst part is how incredibly staged and phony every scene looked and felt..(thank KM :) ). The "actors" were so phony as well.

Oh well...live and learn.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
You can always detect that level of "unreality" coming from phony circumstances.

I applaud a new take on what is usually standard-issue marketing, but three hours is ridiculous. Can't help but think ol' M. Night is a bit of a narcissist, what with the length, the focus, and the constant mentions of him as a "great director." Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks