1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

SciFi TV

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Antonio S, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Antonio S

Antonio S Stunt Coordinator

I'm presently at the beginning of my HT collecting. (VHS excepted)
    I've decided to concentrate my early purchases on a few "must have" movies and those TV titles that I've enjoyed in the past. I'm starting off with season one and possibly two of Lexx. Looking also at Farscape which I enjoyed. After a bit of exercise with the site search engine, I'm distressed to learn that the early Starburst editions of Farscape were of poor quality and do not play well.
    I am thinking that I may be better off to seek out the earlier (non Starburst) Farscape titles, even though I may have to spend a bit more.
    As far as Lexx is concerned, there isn't much choice. However, I havn't seen any negative comments.
    Appreciate any input on these titles.

2. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

I have "Farscape: Starburst Editions" seasons 1 & 2. I encountered no problems with the season 1 set. However, I did have a problem with one of the discs in the 2nd season set (one of the episode kept freezing during the last 5 minutes). I haven't bought any of the season 3 starburst sets yet, but I'm planning to. I've heard that seasons 3 and 4 will now include 4 discs in each collection instead of 2 which the previous season collection had. This should fix the problem some have had since the episodes are no longer on both sides of the DVD.

As for LEXX, I tried watching it when it aired on the Scifi Channel but it was just a little too bizarre for my taste. [​IMG]

3. Antonio S

?? How can you say that??
    Quotes from the lovely Zev.
    "I like my men tall, handsome, and dead"
    or
    "You may be only a head 790, but your the best head I ever had."
    Well perhaps, just a little. [​IMG]
    I sometimes enjoy a bit of the offbeat. Most especially, "campy" efforts, of which there are not enough of (imo). My "must have" list includes The Abominable Dr Phibes, the sequel, and of course Dr Strangelove, all of which I have on tape.
    Thanks for your input.

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Interestingly, I have all the Farscape Starburst discs released to date and have not had a problem with any of them. The only thing with the non-Starburst discs is that they have less extras--mostly S1 and S2 Starburst's got additional commentaries. Still one of my favorite sci-fi shows ever.

5. Antonio S

Thanks Jason, maybe I'll also get lucky.
    Some of the eBay Canadian sites are listing Lexx as uncut and uncensored. U.S. site shows slightly cheaper by a few bucks, but I'm wondering if it may be censored.

6. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I have to admit that I only enjoyed the first season of Lexx as later seasona weren't all that great.

As far as the problems with the Farscape Starburst sets go. I didn't have any problems with the sets until the Season 2 releases. After an exchange on just about every release set I finally got non-defective sets. Plus, ADV is really good about exchanging the defective disks.

Just go to their "contact us" page and they'll send you the neccessary information.

7. Antonio S

Good information, Thanks.
    Lexx did get a bit silly in the later episodes.
    I'm in it for the Babes.[​IMG]

8. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I have all the Farscape "Starburst" editions that have currently been released. I had a "freezing" problem with the last 5 minutes of the eighth episode of the 1.3 package. *And* I had the disc replaced and had the same "freezing" problem at nearly the same point with the replacement. (The replacement disc *did* play on my computer, though.)

Other than that, I've had no other problems with any of the other "Starburst" editions. The Audio/Video quality has been outstanding; and the supplements have been very generous. And, of course, starting with 3.1 ADV has switched to 4 DVD-9's in lieu of the two DVD-18's that made up the earlier sets. So ... I have to give them huge props for listening to their fan base complaints regarding the DVD-18's (unlike, say, Universal).

I would say go ahead and purchase the early Farscape "Satrburst" editions. The percentage of bad discs is actually fairly low (probably around 15%); and if you do get a bad disc it can be exchanged fairly easily.

9. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    I have quite a few sci-fi/fantasy shows on dvd like the following

1. Original Outerlimits

2. Time Tunnel

3. The Invaders

4. Star treke (TOS) - both the remastered and original

5. Star Trek Enterprise (S1, S2, S4)

6. Outer Limits (1990s)

7. Galactica 1980

8. V The Series (original)

9. Planet of the Apes (1974 TV Series)

10. Space 1999

11. Starlost

12. The Survivors

13. Thriller

14. Relic Hunter

15. Thriller

16. Voyage to the bottom of the sea (s1, S2 and S3)

I have classify a few shows as adventure/fantasy shows. They sure dont make show like the aforementioned anymore.

10. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    I have the Following:

Ark II

Battlestar Galactica (1978)

Buck Rogers

Captain Scarlett

Firefly

The Flash

Galactica 1980

The Greatest American Hero

The Incredible Hulk

Iron King

Jason of Star Command

Joe 90

Knight Rider (Original)

Land of the Giants

Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Lost in Space

The Outer Limits (Original)

Planet of the Apes

Quark

Roswell

Secrets of Isis

Sliders

Smallville

Space:1999

Space Acadamy

Space: Above and Beyond

Starhunte

Starhunter 2300

Star Trek: Enterprise

Star Trek: Voyager

Superman

Super Robot Red Baron

Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles

Thunderbirds (This was the first Science-Fiction Series I ever saw, way back in 1965!)

The Time Tunnel

The Twilight Zone (Original)

The Twilight Zone (1989)

The Twilight Zone (2002)

UFO

Ultraman

V (Original)

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Wonder Woman

11. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young

I also have Ark II and Buck Rogers. I like Ark II, because it talks about message around pollution/environment. Gee, are we any better at pollution now then what was happening in the 1970s. I think some of those issues are still present today. The only big difference is the recycling, composting have now occurred. However, we still have issues with garbage/landfill sites.

I like Buck Rogers, especially Wilma back in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Erin Gray was cutie back then. I would love to see a few more of the sci-fi shows released, like Logan's Run. I have seen earlier threads on Logan's Run and there is a hang up with this series and it has to do with a movie being being released.

When i look at spacecast in Canada now they are airing the following shows:

Doctor Who Merlin Nikita Rabbit Fall Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Star Trek: Remastered: Star Trek: The Next Generation: Star Trek: Voyager: Stargate Atlantis: Stargate SG-1:
    They used to air Star Trek Enterprise and outerlimits. I would love to see them have a classic space channel, which aired the classic for the old school fans. I have majority of the sci-fi shows that i wanted to collect with exception of a few like Logan's Run, Incredible Hulk and the original battlestar gallactica. I never go into the new version of Gallactica, but, that is because i liked Dirk Benedict as starbuck and anne lockhart as sheba.

Doctor Who (Strip) Doctor Who: Merlin Nikita Rabbit Fall Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Star Trek: Remastered: Star Trek: The Next Generation: Star Trek: Voyager: Stargate Atlantis: Stargate SG-1:

12. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes