What's new

Scifi channel...where are you??? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember about 7 years ago when my cable company FINALLY got the Scifi channel. I was thrilled. All the old shows that they don't air anywhere were being showed. Now, all I get are the same 3 or 4 shows along with reality shows, documentaries and a Phil Donohue show for talking to the dead. :rolleyes
Scifi's big money thing seems to be making these scifi original movies. Which is great in theory, but they are scewing that up. What they should do. Is to try to make movies that resolve the scifi shows they air. For example how about making a movie resolving Sliders,Space:Above & Beyond or any of the other short run shows they run. They even mucked up Farscape. A show with a huge fan base. Luckily, the fans won out and it will be resolved. But, not with any help from Scifi.
I know most people blame the channel's president, Bonnie Hammer. Which from some of the things I hear, she should be blamed. I believe she said in an interview that the channel should get away from all of the scifi stuff. Uh..Hello? Your channel is called Scifi channel. When I watch ESPN. I expect to see sports. When I watch Scifi. I expect to see scifi.

Ok, end rant. Bonnie, you can make it up to me by airing some more scifi shows and doing a John Doe resolution movie. ;)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
There was a time where I couldnt wait to get a particular cable system so we would get Sci Fi but this channel, especially over the last year, has become an embarrassment to Sci Fi, throwing low budge junk at us and shows that dont even have to do with Sci Fi (Scare Tactics.
They have one big miniseries a year and then brag that it got all these viewers. What about the other 11 months?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What they should do is to try to make movies that resolve the scifi shows they air.
While nice in theory, unless you get the rights to a failed series immediatly, you lose the actors, sets, production staff, etc. It makes it almost impossible to resurrect a series once the staff goes to the four winds.

What would be nice is if Sci-Fi got into the business of picking up failed network shows so that they can start off with some name recognition. "John Doe" probably would have been right up their alley, since it is a relatively cheap show. Course, the networks can sometimes be cutthroat about that, basically saying, "If we can't show it, noone else will either."

Jason

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
I know what you mean. It seems that every time I see some new "Sci-Fi Channel Original Presentation" it's something like ....

If the secret of the Zorbonian Cube isn't discovered soon, then the human race will cease to exist and the Earth inherited by Cockroaches.
The only thing I've seen them play lately that I found even remotely interesting was "Taken".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks