What's new

Scientists prove that Coca Cola is better than Pepsi (serious) (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I can always taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi, and can (although not all the time) tell the difference just by smell.

I of course, prefer Coke.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I much prefer the taste of Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi over the real thing. The real thing has far too much sugar for my tastes!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

Duh... that's because Coke's logo is a huge part of Americana. You see probably 10 Coke signs to every 1 Pepsi sign. It's just more recognizable. Plus.. I've never liked the Pepsi logo anyway. :D

But, I drink Pepsi... not because it tastes better.. which I think it does.. but because they're the underdog compared to Coke. I like underdogs. :D It's the same reason I drink Miller over Bud... well, that and the fact that I live in Milwaukee. I'd probably get beat up with a Bud in my hand. ;)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
This was the reason why New Coke failed. People actually prefered the sweeter taste of Pepsi in blind taste tests, but prefered Coke when they knew the brand. Unfortunately for Coke, they only did blind taste tests when they were doing market research for Coke reformulation, thus leading to the catastrophic failure of New Coke.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Mary M S wrote (post #9):

In the days of yore, Pepsi offered, from what I can remember, a perfectly competitive offering. It was a very dry---very dry---drink that tasted almost not sweet at all, and gave that satisfying burn to the back of the throat. The last time I tasted that was, I believe, in the early '70s.

In the '80s when I happened to partake of it at a social gathering or some such, . . . God a'mighty!!! What aweful, aweful stuff! The "new Pepsi"---even if they don't call it such---tasted---and I presume still tastes---like sweetened doggie piss, as we used to say. No "kick", no real flavor, NOTHIN' (except sugar)! Ugh!

Now, if Pepsi would revive it's "classic" formula, I, for one, would be perfectly willing to consider buying it interchangeably with Coca Cola. Otherwise, I wouldn't touch the stuff as it is.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have no preference between the two, I can drink either with no exaggerated thought process deeper than "I'm thirsty for a cola". I like both.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Not that I care what they use, but I just don't like the sound of "Captain & Pepsi" - it's always been a "Captain & Coke" to me. :)

I had a friend who worked for Pepsi and out and out REFUSED to drink Coke, he even would check to see what kind of seltzer a bar used when he'd order mixed drinks. :rolleyes

Coke? Pepsi? It's sugar and seltzer, get over it! :laugh:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I think these scientists need to get back to valuable silica research.

What do people say about silica in blind taste tests?

Ok, I'll confine this stuff to the appropriate thread now.

StephenHa

Second Unit
I prefer pepsi, what's bad is coke lost the volume leader title a few years ago (probably due to pepsi's other ventures like restaraunts)I used to live in Atlanta and everything is a coke there, even pepsi, heck they ask what kind of coke ya want

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I prefer Pepsi and can readily taste a difference in the can/bottle versions.

The fountain versions are much closer in taste and I prefer either to the can/bottle counterparts.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Seth, is the movie Looker any good? Will it have me fidgeting in my seat for a refreshing Coca Cola fix?

Lately I've been avoiding Coke...sticking with hot chocolate and filtered (Culligan!) water and the occasional Celestial Seasoning's Red Zinger...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'm always fearful of fountain pop because of the possibility that you could get the very last of the mix...which is enough to make me throw up. God help you if that happens...but fountain coke/pepsi is better than fountain Mt. Dew/Mello Yellow which is often way too syrupy.

I gotta say I'm kind of like Max in the sense I've been hitting the hot chocolate hard lately.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Coke has a slightly salty tang, Pepsi is just sweeter. Their different tastes match their labels (tangy = red, sweet = blue).

I much prefer fountain Diet Pepsi: it, unlike its canned counterpart, often has fuller flavor and does NOT lose carbonation (much fizzier). Our local Taco Bell has such good DP that a friend and I often drive through and order large Diet Pepsis and nothing else. DP from the TB... TBDP!

Um, not that I care about soda... or anything.

:D

~s

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I remember an episode of All In The Family where Michael got into an argument about whether colas tasted different, he said that he could tell blindfolded...he did.
As can I, the tastes are quite different, Coke has a slightly "saltier" taste (as has been mentioned) and has a slight ginger taste IMO, while Pepsi is slightly sweeter yet has a nice bite to it...I just like both.
I also like RC cola, cream soda & rootbeer......my god my kidneys hurt!:)

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
"This was the reason why New Coke failed. People actually prefered the sweeter taste of Pepsi in blind taste tests, but prefered Coke when they knew the brand. Unfortunately for Coke, they only did blind taste tests when they were doing market research for Coke reformulation, thus leading to the catastrophic failure of New Coke."

This is actually considered one of the best marketing moves in history, if you believe that the whole intent of New Coke was a marketing ploy in the first place. Brilliant marketing, in my opinion, as I believe that Coke brass had the whole process laid out in advance.

Jason

RichardK

Second Unit
Jason, I agree in the New Coke conspiracy...made to taste worse in order to bring the 'original' back as 'classic' .
On the topic at hand. i can tell coke from pepsi, no problem...although, i have been drinking root beer as my choice of soda for many years now...i used to be a dr pepper drinker ... but for fun i tried diet coke w/lime...not bad...i've tried C2 as well...a decent alternative as well.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
Good article, but I call b.s.

"The truth is we are not that dumb, and we are not that smart" Expert from the end of the article that neither conclusively denies or accepts the theory.

My opinion only, but a shared opinion that is shared (and debated) in the marketing world.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks