What's new

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 - Optical? (1 Viewer)

Eric_Whit

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
Hello,

Newbie here...I have a Yamaha 5750 receiver and I recently got a dvr from Time Warner the 8300, not the HD. I am not sure that I am getting the full potential from the digital cable.

On the back of the 8300, there are 4 audio outputs, two left, two right (RCA jacks). Right now, I have rca cables coming out of 2 of them directly to my recvr, a left and a right. There is also a 5th RCA audio output on the DVR, by itself, that says "DIGITAL AUDIO".

Where would this single output plug into my recvr??? and is this the true digital surround sound output? On my recvr, the only other option I see is a optical input and the output from the dvr is not optical.

My recvr lights up the Dolby ProLogic not the ProLogicII or the PLx and only the front left and right speakers light up on the recvr which makes me believe I am just getting a left and right sound only.

Any ideas? THANK YOU

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Digital audio can be sent via optical cable or coaxial cable. The coax cables often terminate RCA-style connectors, but they can also use BNC and F connectors. The jacks are usually color-coded orange to distinguish them from audio (red and white), composite video (yellow), and component video (red, green and blue) RCA jacks. My Onkyo receiver has 3 optical digital audio inputs and 1 coaxial. Some receivers only have optical inputs and I don't know if anyone makes an adapter that could translate from the electrical digital of the coax to the light-based digital signal of the optical.

I have the HD-DVR version of the 8300 and it has both optical and coax digital audio outputs. So if you move up to that one, your problem is solved. ;)

BTW, I was just looking at the manual for your receiver on line and it appears that you should have a coaxial digital input. Unless yours is an older version and they've added it to later HTR-5750s, the digital input is located directly above the optical inputs and outputs and is labelled "Digital Input (CD)" Despite the "CD" notation, you should also be able to use this for your 8300. (Most AV receivers allow you to pair any digital audio input with any video input.)

Regards,

Joe

Eric_Whit

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
I do remember seeing that "CD input" above the optical inputs. I'll try that, I did not think that was an option, great.

I was just going to upgrade to the 8300HD box BUT they said they won't do it b/c I do not have a HDTV, yet.

THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks