Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 signal strength?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Morgan, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

Which buttons do you push to get the SA 2000 to display the signal strength?

2. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

On my SA200HD I hit 999 which brings up a diagnostic screen. FDC: 72.500 MHZ -? bdmV will be the incoming cables signal strength at the box. Any number thats white is good, yellow is ok, red is bad. RDC is the return path signal.

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

How do you get back out of diagnostic mode (ie, back to normal viewing)?

Thanks,

Martin

4. Tom Morgan

Will changing the channel back to any other take it out of the diagnostic mode?

Thanks Daryl L for the info!

5. Martin Rendall

Was that a typo (SA200HD)? I tried the 999 on my SA 2000HD, but it just tuned to that channel (not the signal strength screen).

Martin.

6. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Sorry, I did mean to say SA2000HD.

Yes just tune directly to any channel to leave the diagnostic page, or just scroll up/down to get out. I usually just press Last Channel/Recall to go back to the channel I was watching.

Maybe the cable companies set the diagnostic page differently. My local cable company set ours on ch. 999. I learned this from a tech that came out to check our signal strength one day with their meter. And if you do get the diagnostic screen it's locked so you shouldn't be able to edit anything. You can scroll down to RF Network, look at Tuning mode and see if their using a QAM 64 or QAM 128 signal. Scroll down to PASSPORT and let info load and you'll get total channel info.

7. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

There should be a button set apart from the others, farther to the left. Mine looks like it has a diamond on it, but it's hard to tell (it is half worn off). Press that and at the same time, press the select button on the remote. That should bring up the signal info. At least on my SA200, it works that way.

8. Martin Rendall

For me, the remote doesn't work. But I found that this works: simultaneously press the diamond button and the select button, both on the unit. Hold until the MAIL led starts to blink. Let go, and then press the diamond again. You will be in the 13 pages of diagnostic information. Press the left and right buttons on the box to page through the data. The diamond quits.

9. Tom Morgan

Anyone in Las Vegas know which buttons to push?

I called service and they would not tell me, but would send a service tech out to check it.

I also asked about 5.1 audio and was told there is one HBO, one Showtime and one Starz with 5.1. I know that 200, 210,240,241,242,243,250,and 260 are in 5.1(if the movie is new enough to be 5.1). There may be more, I'll keep checking.

10. Robert Cranwell

Robert Cranwell Stunt Coordinator

Press the bulleyes button [between the up&down/left&right] until the mail light flash's than hit the diamond button to get into the menu SA's spec's +10dbmv/-10dbmv for forward data and for QAM level on the digital carriers. Hit exit on the remote to get out.

Rob

11. Tom Morgan

Thanks Robert! That works in Las Vegas.