SCIENTIFIC ATLANTA 8000HD question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RobertSiegel, Jul 31, 2004.

1. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

I am wondering if anyone else has the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD dvr for use with Tima/Warner cable, or other uses. Last night, I went to purchase a HDTV DVHS vcr, and the only inputs any of them have are firewire. So I came home and checked out my box, and sure enough NO FIREWIRE OUTPUT. Then, I went online to Scientific Atlanta's website, looked up the 8000HD Box and in the diagram, sure enough, a firewire port, missing from my box. I then called Time/Warner and they say they don't have it on theirs. They told me I could get another box that's not a dvr that has a firewire enabled, but it's an additional 7.95 a month rent! This is too much for me, considering the model I have is supposed to have it there.

I am wondering if anyone knows if a person can buy these boxes, or know of an alternate way to tape HD programming for my collection. HDnet has been showing some great classics, and I am really upset there's no way to have them for viewing after their showings. None of these vcr's have a component input or DVI, so also wondering if just using the cable-out regular jack would sewnd high def to this vcr's inputs (I am looking at the Mitsubighi model that's 399 at Ultimate Electronics). Thanks for your help.

2. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

The new 5c protection will not allow you to copy HD material to D-VHS.
    Vb

3. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

what is the 5c protection? Is it on the cable box or the DVHS machine, or on the movie during broadcast? So does that mean we can't tape any HD now? Is there any way to do it now, before this protection arrives in machines? Man, if that's the case, our rights are really being taken.

4. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

It's a copy protection scheme dreamed up by the MPAA to stop archiving of HD programing on external devices like D-VHS
    I would try Comcast cable.
    Their 6200 series STB is receiving the 7:15 upgrade that has been reported to eliminate the problems with copying to D-VHS.
    HTH, Vb

5. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Extra

This is not true. 5C only prevents you from copying material that is marked "copy never". That would only be Pay-Per-View channels.

I've recorded a number of HD movies from HBO and SHO using a JVC30K with a SA 3250HD equipped with firewire.

6. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Actually you're correct. I forgot to mention the types of flags used with 5c. Thanks for the correction.
    Vb

7. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

Great, I am out to get my 3250 today! Thank you for clarifying!
    Robert

8. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Extra

Robert,

Just a forewarning. There are some glitches, at least with the software my box is running (no sound on some channels through firewire, many SD digitals do not display correctly through firewire). My box is running Passport software from Pioneer. Your area may be using SARA software from Scientific Atlanta. There are also different versions of both types of software out there.

So don't be surprised when there are some problems. I'm fortunate in that the channels I care most about recording are among the channels that are relatively glitch-free. Hopefully that will be the case for you as well.

Supposedly Pioneer and Scientific Atlanta are working on these problems and will issue software updates at some point.

9. RobertSiegel

Reviewer

Frank, thanks for letting me know. I want to tape mostly HBO or SHOWTIME, but most of all HDNET MOVIES. That's where the great classics are being shown. How does it work for HDMOVIES (if you have it)? For network tv?

10. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Extra

Fortunately HDNET Movies, HDNET, and both InHD channels work OK. We have 5 local channels in HD, and two of them don't have any sound through firewire. Again, this could all be different in your area depending on what software and version is being used.