What's new

Scientific Atlanta 8000 DVR and HBO (1 Viewer)

Eric R C

Agent
I have had the Bright House formally TW Scientific Atlanta DVR since june and never have had a problem recording HBO material. Just recently (last 2 weeks) I have had problems recording Curb Your Enthusiasiam and Sex/City. The problem i am describing is a drop out of audio for even a minute second or the inability to sustain a constand soundtrack with out the audio dropping out. This only happens when recording HBO. Has anyone else noticed this? I would hate to return this box because i am backlogged on program watching as it is and i would hate to miss what i have recorded.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! Specifically during S&tC on HBO. I have TW Cable and the SA 8000 as well. Annoying as hell, isn't it?

The audio bitstream is completely dropping in and out, because I see it continuially unlocking and relocking on my receiver. The blue multichannel indicator light on the face of the receiver blinks like a freakin' Morse code display. I wonder if the DVR is incapable of recording high bitrate audio (being DD5.1 rather than 2-channel) accurately enough without dropouts.

Makes me wonder how well the upcoming HD version of the box is gonna work...

Oughta call TW Customer Service, but what's the point. They won't know what I'm talking about.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I have had the same problem when recording Inside the NFL. The audio sounds very wobbly. I haven't done anything about it, though.

H

Hank

I just recorded Ghost Ship last night on HBO HD and haven't watched it yet. I'll check it out later today and if I have drop outs I will post back.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Are you certain the dropout isn't occurring during the broadcast itself? I ask, because this is a constant problem with TWC in New York City. I'm still on a Sci. Atl. 3000HD, but when receiving digital audio -- even 2-channel -- there are occasional dropouts during the broadcast. (On the HD channels, it's much worse.)

One suggestion: Watch a "live" HBO broadcast while recording it. Then see whether there are dropouts in the recorded version that you didn't hear during the broadcast.

M.

H

Hank

Well I watched Ghost Ship and noticed a drop-out during the Warner Bros. logo and than one more during the end credits. I think they were there during the broadcast.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it's a problem with the broadcast. Sex & the City drops out like crazy on the living room DVR box, but it's fine on the bedroom box (where it should be arguably be watched anyway...)

ahem. In my experience, it's weird that it specifically happens during that show, but not very often during other programs or on other channels. My 5.1 vs 2-channel theory is probably no good, becaue when I watch other 5.1 programming, there isn't a problem. It seems localized to PVR boxes on HBO on Sunday nights. Go figure.

And yes, I finally called Time Warner Cable Customer Service, and no, they don't have a clue.

AamanL

Auditioning
I have faced exactly the same thing - please see my post earlier in the forum asking a similar question.

I'm in Milwaukee

Who do we contact? TimeWarner, HBO, Scientific Atlanta or Yamaha(my receiver company)????

It really sucks. I even tried disconnecting the analog audio cables and using only digital audio, but the problem remains.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, DirecTV is having problems on their none High Def DD channels also. That being the audio drop outs. Funny thing is that I came across this thread while talking to them about that very problem. It's in their transmission and they're working on it but it doesn't look like it'll be fixed soon. So I guess drop outs are starting to be the norm from service providers.:angry:

Have a good one.

AamanL

Auditioning
I had the TimeWarner tech support guy over today and demonstrated the problem to him. He was unable to figure why this was happening (obviously:) ) I showed him this forum and other similar notes in dslreports.com. He's taken printouts to show his supervisor and will, hopefully, update me.

Until then, it's back to the TV speakers for HBO digital films:frowning:

Eric R C

Agent
I am back in business. After 3 nights of software updates at 3am, My Brighthouse SA Explorer 8000 records HBO just fine.

David StLucia

Auditioning
Eric,
What specifically did you do to fix this problem? I have TWC and the Explorer 8000 in Wisconsin and am having the same problem.

Cable guy came out today and said it was being caused by redundant wires (I have a digital coax for digital sound and a pair of left/right audio cables for non-digital channels running to my receiver). His solution was to take out the digital coax, but that obviously results in no DD sound!

Thanks,
Dave

Eric R C

Agent
David,

Unfortunately I did nothing to fix this problem, the automatic updates that Bright House performed a few weeks ago solved this problem. I can pinpoint the issue to the overnight software updates that BH implemented. I recorded a movie the day before the overnight upgrade and had the same trouble. A day or so after the upgrade I recorded CYE with no audio drop out at all and better PQ!!!

In regards to the redundant cable theory I too have redundant cables. I run Standard Cable Coax from the cable box to my TV. I also run Digital coax and RCA stereo from the cable box to my receiver. I noticed the sound issue from my TV alone as well as when sound was processed through the receiver. This eliminates the cable redundancy in my opinion. Also I have made no changes to my cabling and now magically after the upgrade this is no longer an issue. I believe that proves that it is not a cabling issue.

The only thing I can suggest is to call you cable operator and get on them to make sure your software is the latest and greatest.

Regards,
Eric

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Just got back from NAB, where I stopped by the SA booth.

According to the rep I spoke with, they are aware of the issue, and believe the newest firmware (dated 4/14, if memory serves) addresses it. Also, they say the 8000HD (which was on display) should not have the problem.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Anyone experience digital noise on playback of recorded material on this box? I've heard it a few times in the last week and I'd like to think it's the box (rented and soon to be returned) rather than my receiver (just bought, about to move 1000km from my dealer).

P.S. I'm with Time Warner in NE Ohio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks