Scientific American: SciTech Web Awards 2002

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Max Leung, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Scientific American: SciTech Web Awards 2002.
    I thought it would be a simple list of science news sites...boy was I wrong! The sites listed actually contain primers on just about anything imaginable...physics, biology, astronomy, math, computer science, etc. Good stuff, but it'll take me weeks to go through it all.

2. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

Thanks for the link Max! I do research for my stories all the time, and this collection of links looks pretty good for someone like me (i.e. non-science/math major) to learn about some of this stuff. Usually, I spend my time at work (as I work in a computer lab) either on the HTF or printing out and reading journal articles on various topics.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey, no problem. You a journalist?
    This article might cheer you up: Science Hard. [​IMG]

4. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

Nope [​IMG]
    I'm an aspiring (who isn't) science fiction writer whose background just happens to be English and Philosophy. Obviously not writing hard SF per se (think Arthur C. Clarke or Larry Niven), but rather the "soft" SF (i.e. Orson Scott Card and...my mind is drawing blanks for some reason on others). Of course, I wouldn't dream of comparing my talent to any of these heavyweights, but using their names sure makes it easier to explain.
    But I do try and make up for my lack of scientific knowledge by simply devouring science related news, journals and books. If anyone knows of any good books about interplanetary travel and the problems associated with prolonged exposure to zero-gravity environments on astronauts would be greatly appreciated. I've read several, unfortunately short, articles on this topic already, but I honestly need to know more...much more [​IMG]