What's new

Scientific American: SciTech Web Awards 2002 (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Scientific American: SciTech Web Awards 2002.
I thought it would be a simple list of science news sites...boy was I wrong! The sites listed actually contain primers on just about anything imaginable...physics, biology, astronomy, math, computer science, etc. Good stuff, but it'll take me weeks to go through it all.
In this, our second annual Scientific American.com Sci/Tech Web Awards, the editors have again done the work of sifting through the virtual piles of pages to find the top sites for your browsing pleasure. We've selected an eclectic mix of 50 sites--five sites in each of 10 subject categories. The sites run the gamut from the serious and information-packed to the more whimsical, and even playful, sides of science and technology. For instance, you can explore the voluminous reference guides on the Internet Public Library, take a virtual tour of the ancient artwork in the Cave of Lascaux and toggle through interesting facts about chemical compounds that have some very silly names. What all the sites have in common is that they are worth a bit of your precious time. We hope you enjoy visiting them as much as we have.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the link Max! I do research for my stories all the time, and this collection of links looks pretty good for someone like me (i.e. non-science/math major) to learn about some of this stuff. Usually, I spend my time at work (as I work in a computer lab) either on the HTF or printing out and reading journal articles on various topics.
Good stuff, but it'll take me weeks to go through it all.
Let's hope so :)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Nope :)
I'm an aspiring (who isn't) science fiction writer whose background just happens to be English and Philosophy. Obviously not writing hard SF per se (think Arthur C. Clarke or Larry Niven), but rather the "soft" SF (i.e. Orson Scott Card and...my mind is drawing blanks for some reason on others). Of course, I wouldn't dream of comparing my talent to any of these heavyweights, but using their names sure makes it easier to explain.
But I do try and make up for my lack of scientific knowledge by simply devouring science related news, journals and books. If anyone knows of any good books about interplanetary travel and the problems associated with prolonged exposure to zero-gravity environments on astronauts would be greatly appreciated. I've read several, unfortunately short, articles on this topic already, but I honestly need to know more...much more :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks