What's new

Science Takes Another Look at Strads (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
http://www.livescience.com/othernews...treatment.html

Some examination of the reknowned Strads indicates they were likely chemically treated in contrast to other violins made at the time or for that matter now. The treatment though is postulated to have been done for insect and fungus control.

Of additional interest is the following quote from the article.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Interesting. I should do a blind test on guitars sometime, since my father has three. It would be interesting to see how well I could tell them apart, if at all.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting about the blind testing. I had assumed that since musical instruments are sound producers, and not reproducers, that there would be noticeable differences, but it sounds like that's not necessarily true.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It may have more to do with the skill of the violinist. Knowing you're playing a Strad just may give you a bit of a rush that you use to your advantage to play it to the best of your ability. I posted this on another forum Robert and someone mentioned an interesting article in the Sunday Science Times postulating very strongly that we've moved past the Strad.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/28/sc...8d3e7f&ei=5070

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have a Joshua bell recording where he uses a Strad, and damned if I can tell it apart from anything he uses in any other recording. (Yes, I bought Romance Of The Violin just because of the violin).

One of these days I was going to post a thread asking what I should be listening for.... but maybe its nothing?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the second link, Chu. That confirms my previous assumption--that different instruments do sound different. But old doesn't necessarily sound different or better.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Tough call Garrett considering they're different recordings and what not. I assume in the first post the guy was listening to whatever are considered very competent examples of the instrument.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

Great article, thanks for pointing it out. My father recently pointed out some carbon fiber guitars in a catalog he gets (although he isn't thinking of abandoning his Martins or his Taylor :) ). It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks