Science graduates live long and prosper

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Max Leung, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Science graduates live long and prosper

2. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

Seems that smoking, just by itself, could account for the difference.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    John...

Man, I can't believe a correlational study was published about SCIENCE people. Whatever happened to hard data? Hell, I was one of those "art kids," and I know better than to publish a weak conclusion like that! [​IMG]

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Heh, I think the point was, even the science and medical students that smoked decided to quit after graduation because they knew how bad it is, while the artsy-fartsy students didn't know (or didn't care -- those rebels!) and thus didn't quit.

Hey -- you guys that quit smoking, what kind of education background did you have? Science, Art, Medical, Engineering, etc.?

Maybe we can do an informal survey here and see if it matches the study's results. [​IMG]

5. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

sheiiiiiiiiiit... i still smoke hahah. i graduated as bme and in the fall i'm going to medical school for my md/phd, so i guess i'm a contradiction to your statement.

6. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    See... standard deviation shows itself, leading to the conclusion the study is flawed. 'Nuff said.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Nope not at all...Edwin is still technically in school. [​IMG]

Besides, a cursory understanding of statistics would show you that you will always have people at the ends of the curve.

For example, violent crime is almost always committed by men, but you will always have a few women doing them too...but it is very rare. The news, of course, picks up on it as if it happens every day. [​IMG]

8. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

It's not how long we live, it's the quality of our lives. [​IMG]

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

So, why would anyone smoke then? Although I love the pretty pictures they put on Canadian cigarette packs. Oooh look, this is what happens to a fetus when you smoke during pregnancy! How very modern art! [​IMG]

10. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

11. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

A lot of the third rate thinking behind the second hand smoke hysteria is only persuasive to people who can't think for themselves or who like being bullied by do-gooders.

Personally, I think bars and businesses, after a modicum of reasonable public health regulation, should be able to choose if they wish to cater for smokers or non-smokers, and carry on if profit margins warrant.

Myself? Arts-philosophy education, quit puffing 20 years ago. The damage done since then is due to internal combustion engines, smog, and far too many plastics and synthetics in our environment.

And I hope Warren Zevon does his last album without an anti-smoking pitch

[​IMG]

12. MarkHastings

I just got back from lunch where I sat between two smoking co-workers. Now that I am back at my desk, all I smell is stale smoke [​IMG] That should be more than enough reason than the 2nd hand theory.

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Ah... With all the years I spent studying science (in addition to a 'healthy' portion of the arts) in college, medical school and post-graduate training, I now expect to live well past 150... [​IMG]

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hey John, you should visit a bar in Montreal! The smoke was so thick in the clubs I went to that I almost had an asthma attack -- and I never had asthma before!

I avoid bars and clubs now like the plague...the smoke gets into everything -- my hair, my clothes, my skin...yuck! And my eyes start burning after an hour. I'd rather hang out with cats -- there is nothing a cat can do about its dander, so I put up with the allergies.

Oh yes, and my friend and her brother were almost not permitted into Canada because health officials thought they had tuberculosis -- x-rays showed black lungs. But guess what, it was second-hand smoke because their father was a heavy smoker! Once they got their father to smoke outside, their lungs cleared up in several weeks. Scary. Granted, maybe the cigarettes were a particularly nasty brand, but still...

15. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I'd better have my lungs checked...both my mom and stepdad are heavy smokers, and I'm around them all the time, sooo...

Anyway, I've always wondered how much breathing improves for those who have quit smoking? Would anyone (who has quit) care to field that one?

16. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

17. MarkHastings

Jason, I know what you're saying, but what I was reffering to was the fact that the research sounds biased. It's like they're trying to say that art students have a greater risk of lung cancer. Shouldn't it be, people who smoke have a greater risk for lung cancer?

What does being an art student have to do with it?

18. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

19. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Mark, I think the point of the study was to correlate health with education. They just found that smoking was the common denominator after they compiled the data. Or so we assume anyways! Maybe their study was secretly funded by a fanatical anti-smoking group. Or maybe they really are unbiased. [​IMG]

Metastatic cell growth -- is that like cancerous growth?

20. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Max: Yes.