Science Fiction (book) aficianados- help me out here

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Julian Reville, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I'm trying to remember the title and author of a book I read years ago (I need it as ammo in an argument.) The only thing I can remember about it is that electronic voting for everything was mandatory, you had to use your ID card to vote, and if you didn't vote "correctly" it was recorded.

Anybody got any ideas on this one?

2. Julian Reville

Nobody, huh? [​IMG] I admit the hint was pretty vague. Darn.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I haven't come across such a plotline myself, but it sounds like something Robert Heinlein might have cooked up. In his Expanded Universe collection of short stories and non-fiction articles, he sets out his views on voting, which I won't go into since it's politically charged, but suffice to say many consider him far right-wing, if not outright fascist.

4. Julian Reville

I read a lot of Heinlein when I was a teen, so I don't think it was one of his; maybe, though.........darn, I hate it when something like this is lurking around in the dark crevices of my memory.

5. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Stunt Coordinator

I've read a lot (most?) of Heinlein's stuff and I don't remember a plotline like that. Not saying that it isn't possible because it does sound a lot like some things he WOULD have written, but I don't remember that story if it was him.

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

It also sounds like something Ben Bova, Robert Silverberg or Philip Hose Farmer might have written.....maybe Kurt Vonnegut.